Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Corgan's Solo Show in Chicago at The Metro  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Intrepide1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Corgan's Solo Show in Chicago at The Metro
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:16:26 PM »
I'm one of an extremely few number of people fortunate enough to be going to Billy Corgan's first ever solo show.  It is one week from Monday/tomorrow.  I really want to tape this show.  I don't know anyone with good equipment and, while talking about equipment with some guys on the etree IRC chat, was given Taperssection.com as a suggestion for good equip. info.  Can anyone give me some assistance?  ASAP as the show is so soon.  Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 08:42:13 PM by Intrepide1 »

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Corgan's Solo Show in Chicago at The Metro
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 08:54:56 PM »
bump

if i had steathable gear id help
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 09:01:18 PM »
He might allow open, I know Zwan did

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 09:07:49 PM »
Right, I thought about that.  But that was the start of their tour after Mary Star Of The Sea was finished.  He hasn't even finished recording his solo album.  And the did say nothing professional for the Zwan shows.  So, I'm really not too worried, but I'm working with nothing at present.  I need to borrow some equipment or be recommended cheap rentals.  I already paid 89 for my ticket.  This is a rare opportunity, it's not the start of his tour or something.  He hasn't released anything at this point.  So, I figured somebody in the area would be willing to assist me.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 09:14:10 PM »
I don't think you need stealthable gear. Didn't Zwan allow taping? I imagine Corgan solo would be okay too.

I can't imagine there won't be a HQ copy of this show. And I'm sure it will be fairly easy to get soon after the show.

I was going to go, but I am flying into Chicago on the 22nd. I actually had a ticket to the show, but it was going to cost more to change my flight than it would cost for a new one! So, I will skip it. (already gave the ticket away, sorry). Not a huge Corgan fan so no biggie, but my friend I am visiting is and she gets to go (which means I am in charge of getting a copy of the show).

MIKE B

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 09:19:32 PM »
Cool, but I still need help.  Or I could help your friend out in some way.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »
If you really, really want this one taped, your best bet - both from a cost perspective and chance of success - may be to find/buy a ticket for a taper.  I don't know many people who would be willing to lend taping gear to a blank stranger (I know I wouldn't).  Just a thought, fwiw.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 09:52:59 PM »
They can wait for me outside if they want.  I'm not going to rape it.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 10:47:36 PM »
someone please help him out.  If i knew him i would send my gear in a sec.  This would be a great tape.  I though the pumpkins didn't mind taping either.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 11:55:56 PM »
Get me a ticket, and I'm in. Billy may be down with open taping, but the Metro is not cool with mic stands. I've never taped from their balconie.

I'm going to look into this - how the hell did you hear about this, and are there any tickets anywhere to be had??

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 12:03:24 AM »
someone please help him out.  If i knew him i would send my gear in a sec.  This would be a great tape.  I though the pumpkins didn't mind taping either.

Pumpkins were anti-taping, dont know why though  ???
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 01:00:30 AM »

Pumpkins were anti-taping, dont know why though  ???
Where did you hear this? The only show I recall being officially non-taping was the last show they played at the Metro, because (rumor has it), Billy had planned on releasing that material at some point. Many terrible stealth copies have surfaced, but I haven't heard one myself that was either badly converted, recorded poorly, or both.

From everything else I've heard, the Pumpkins were pro taping, but just not widely taped.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 01:33:44 AM »
throw up a post over at the message board at www.netphoria.org a lot of ppl who are pumpkins fans and tapers reside in the trader forum.  i'm sure some of them will be sympathetic to your needs.

i'm pretty sure pumpkins didn't allow taping.

Offline feel_the_funny

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 01:46:51 AM »
Hey there forum, new member here.  I'm glad to see there's other BC fans on these forums.  I also have tickets!
I've heard good things about DSM microphones, but I don't know much about them except they're very concealable... http://www.sonicstudios.com/
Schoeps is another good brand, but waay pricey (thousands of dollars).  Other than that, i don't know of any other stealthable mics...although if you really want to push it, look at a Sony ECM-ms907.
MiniDisc is the economical and most practical way to go if you just want this as a one-off recording rig.  You can get one for around $85-90 for a sony net MD.  The only problem with Sony MiniDiscs is that you can't adjust the mic/line input level on the fly (which Sharp MiniDiscs CAN do..see ebay).

To be honest, I wouldn't bother trying to tape the show, there's going to be a lot of security there due to the fact this is going to be filmed for inclusion on a future DVD release.  But, if you do decide to sneak it past security, make sure you have some high quality, concealable mics and a small MD at least.  Your best bet for stealthing position is ideally center balcony, but if they have the bar open, you're giong to pick up the "ring" of the cash register constantly going off.  Another good spot would be against the wall in the back, or on the middle of the floor or as close to either stack as you can get.  
Metro isn't exactly known for sound quality though when it comes to stealth taping, but if you can pull off a good recording, that would be cool.

-feel_the_funny (ChoobieWoobie)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 01:54:15 AM by feel_the_funny »

Offline feel_the_funny

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 02:04:42 AM »
On the subject of the pumpkins being pro-taping it went like this.....

Virgin was against taping the shows. The band didn't care if the show was taped or not as long as it wasn't sold.  The no taping policy was enforced throughout their commercial career, special taping permission was granted occassionally.  As for the final Metro show, there's been word that billy stressed that he didn't want metro to be recorded because of a future commercial release.  There's a stealthed audience recording that's going around that is just horrendous.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 08:03:11 AM »
They can wait for me outside if they want.  I'm not going to rape it.

Oh, well...since you've given your word anonymously on an internet message board, I'd feel much more secure lending out thousands of dollars of recording gear.  ::)

Honestly, I'm sure you're a fine fellow.  But even with the best of intentions, things can go wrong: dropped mic capsule, preamp, or DAT deck, over-zealous security guy grabbing/confiscating the gear, drink spilled on gear, etc.  I'd much rather deal with a situation like that with a known-entity than a complete stranger.  (And if I'm going to give you the gear before the show and stand around outside and pick it up immediately after, I'll just go to the show instead.)

I'm not trying coming across as a wanker, just trying to inject a taper's perspective into the discussion.  At any rate, good luck!
Roland R-05

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:36 AM »
Hey, I understand that, and there is obvious reason for concern, but I'm looking for whatever someone is willing to lend me.  Obviously we'd have to meet and I'm totally willing to front some money just in case something happens and I'll drop ID too; not for id purposes, more collateral and insurance that I'm not going to steal the rig.
Really, even a jb3 and a fairly nice mic and preamp will do it.  I couldn't be picky even if I wanted to be.  If anyone is willing to help in the area, I'll email my number and we can talk.

In response to previous posts: There are tickets on ebay.      feel_the_funny is right on about Virgin and the Pumpkins.

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 02:22:55 AM »
Is there really nobody willing to help me out with this?  It's friggin Billy Corgan!  I figured I should do it right if I was going to do it at all, and, if nobody is borrowing me equipment, I'm going to be stuck with crap.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 02:51:56 AM »
Sounds like getting Scuba Jeremy a ticket is your best bet....I agree with Skalinder, noone is going to loan a stranger gear.  
Good luck, would be a cool show to have on tape.
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 08:53:19 AM »
Is there really nobody willing to help me out with this?  It's friggin Billy Corgan!  I figured I should do it right if I was going to do it at all, and, if nobody is borrowing me equipment, I'm going to be stuck with crap.

Scuba Jeremy has offered to help you out (guess you're a nobody, Jeremy).  I assume buying a taper a ticket isn't your ideal scenario (and that simply borrowing the gear is), but as the old saying goes: beggars can't be choosers.

Personally, I don't care if it's Jimi Hendrix, I wouldn't lend out my gear to a complete stranger.  Welllll...maybe for Jimi, but certainly not friggin' Billy Corgan! :P  At any rate, the question is moot for me as I live in Cleveland.  Though you may still receive a response from someone locally if you don't continue to come across as so ungrateful.
Roland R-05

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 09:13:27 AM »
www.sonicsense.com

will rent gear, they dont really care who you are, they just get a deposit. do you know how to run the gear?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 09:23:46 AM »
I would be extremely grateful and would even give the lender the original tape.  Right now there is nobody to be grateful for as nobody has offered equipment.  Paying $150 or so for a taper to do it certainly isn't ideal.  Even more, I don't think anyone is going to get by security with a DAT, preamp, and mics.  Beyond the fact that he hasn't even finished recording his album, he is videotaping this show for use on a DVD.  So, I'm sure recording will be a no.  Of course, A jb3 and well hidden mic/s can get by.  There is security in money and id.  Please, if you are willing to help with this, contact me.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 09:33:30 AM »
if i loaned out my gear, i'd expect the cost of it to be paid to me while you are using it.  my stealth mics were cheap, only $120 and my nomad was around $275 when i bought it plus another $35 for a battery.

I have a much more important (to me anyway) taping endeavor on the 18th to go to, so i can't mail out my equipment.  however, if you drove 4 hours to lansing and gave me $450 to use it for the night and returned it by 4/20 (going taping that night as well), i'd happily let you borrow my gear.  I'd give you back your money when i was sure there was nothing wrong with my gear.

hows that?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 09:34:31 AM by SpeshulEd »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 11:06:43 AM »
Even more, I don't think anyone is going to get by security with a DAT, preamp, and mics.

cause that never happens, even with good security  ::)

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2004, 01:05:44 PM »
If I had a stealth rig I'd offer to tape (i was huge pumpkins fan in high school) but get Scuba a ticket. He is a great guy met him at Jason mraz at NIU 11/18 (i think thats the date)
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 04:13:58 PM »
Hell, I'll pay for my own ticket if someone can show me a face value. I'm not really looking to pay any more than than the $40 face.

Or if someone has my miracle... ;)

Yeah, it was the 18th Bill - great show! Nice meeting you too. :)

Offline brandont_h

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 06:55:56 PM »
intrepide1. . .  You're slightly incorrect about the Zwan taping policy.  It was well known right from the very first ever Zwan show (before ANY recording had taken place, and before most of the songs on MSOTS were written) that taping was allowed.  There were often problems with mic stands because stuff like that is so venue dependent.  

I'm a ten year Pumpkins fan, and I liked Zwan too, but I'm starting to think Billy's gone a bit nuts, so I have no idea if his solo taping policy will be the same as Zwan's.  He's never had a big problem with "not-for-profit" taping and trading in the past (even in the Pumpkins, as Choobie pointed out), but then again, he used to have total contempt for the church, and now he's preaching the gospel, so who knows?

That said, I echo the sentiments of others in this thread who have scoffed at the idea of lending expensive gear to random strangers.  I have a pretty good feeling that this show will be taped, but if you have any means to get ahold of gear, or a taper. . . it couldn't hurt.
AKG C1000S > Edirol UA-5 > Sony TCD-D8
DAB > DA-120F > Sony TCD-D8

Offline Intrepide1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2004, 04:15:46 PM »
I'll just have to trust that it'll get done by someone else.  Thanks, SE, for the offer, unfortunately that is too far of a drive.  I really do appreciate it.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2004, 04:29:46 PM »
heh, yeah man, seriously, i was gonna go to that show but my friends are playing the day before and the day after...and i have to work that night. :(

it'll get taped.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com