Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 106961 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
That's hot groovon. I'm going to check it out more later when I can really read/look

I have the rav mentioned above and the 60d. I get over 8 hrs for a reference point
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
I would pay you good money for one of those knobs, especially if you could match the paint of the handles.  Makes it much easier to find in a dark bag.  Seriously, hit me up in a PM if that's a possibility.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
I would pay you good money for one of those knobs, especially if you could match the paint of the handles.  Makes it much easier to find in a dark bag.  Seriously, hit me up in a PM if that's a possibility.

Ha! That would be the first good money I'll have seen in a long while in that case  ;D Seriously though, I'll see what I've got and let you know ...
Maybe there's a market for 'em, like the red anodized shutter buttons some Leica owners just have to have  ;D ...erk, did someone say 'CNC'd in China'? There goes my business model, LOL  :(

(PS--Yes, the original knob just pulls off--if you can grab hold of the stupid convex shape(!) The shaft has a flat, the rotational position of which is non-critical, so many knobs made for either 6mm flatted shaft, or 6mm dia. with a set screw, or even just a firm push-fit, will work. Just remember not to set the knob hard against the front panel, as some small amount of clearance is needed for it to also act as a push-button.)

Dave
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:59:53 AM by groovon »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2015, 06:07:21 AM »

Ha! That would be the first good money I'll have seen in a long while in that case  ;D Seriously though, I'll see what I've got and let you know ...
Maybe there's a market for 'em, like the red anodized shutter buttons some Leica owners just have to have  ;D ...erk, did someone say 'CNC'd in China'? There goes my business model, LOL  :(

(PS--Yes, the original knob just pulls off--if you can grab hold of the stupid convex shape(!) The shaft has a flat, the rotational position of which is non-critical, so many knobs made for either 6mm flatted shaft, or 6mm dia. with a set screw, or even just a firm push-fit, will work. Just remember not to set the knob hard against the front panel, as some small amount of clearance is needed for it to also act as a push-button.)

Dave

In that case, I think some smaller guitar tone knobs would work, as they use 6mm or 1/4" shafts I think.  Your solution looks better though. ;D
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »

Dave

In that case, I think some smaller guitar tone knobs would work, as they use 6mm or 1/4" shafts I think.  Your solution looks better though. ;D

Has to be for 6mm shaft. 1/4" will fall off or wobble.  :(

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
There are about 1,000 listings for 6mm shaft size knobs on ebay.  Surely one of them would work.

Grabbed one of those batteries and that cable.  Thanks a bunch. 

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
There are about 1,000 listings for 6mm shaft size knobs on ebay.  Surely one of them would work.

Grabbed one of those batteries and that cable.  Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome.

Dave

Offline voltronic

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
Wow, that looks great. Nicely done! I'm definitely going to grab one or two of those batteries. Got a link for that RA>RA USB cable? I could only find ones that were RA on the micro side.

Oh yeah... forgot about that. I became a bit obsessed with getting the right cable, so I ordered them from maybe a half dozen different sellers. I'll try and find the right link for ya...

This is the one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Angle-USB-to-Micro-B-Data-Charging-Cable-For-S2-S3-HTC-LG-Motorola-20cm-TW-/131302608813?hash=item1e923ecfad

Dave

What I really would want in this situation would be a right-angle USB A at the battery end and a left-angle Micro B at the recorder end.  Then it you wouldn't have to have that extra bend in the cable at the battery as shown in in your pictures - both cables would exit "up" if running in a bag.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone makes one, so what you found is probably the best solution. 

This company will do what I described as a custom job, but it's $50 for a 6-inch cable!!! :o
http://www.usbfirewire.com/usb_cables_a_to_micro-b_left_angled_a_to_left_angled_micro_b_62.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »

Yeah I've looked, but none look as cool as Groovon's.  I think I'll take one of his. ;)
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
Wow, that looks great. Nicely done! I'm definitely going to grab one or two of those batteries. Got a link for that RA>RA USB cable? I could only find ones that were RA on the micro side.

Oh yeah... forgot about that. I became a bit obsessed with getting the right cable, so I ordered them from maybe a half dozen different sellers. I'll try and find the right link for ya...

This is the one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Angle-USB-to-Micro-B-Data-Charging-Cable-For-S2-S3-HTC-LG-Motorola-20cm-TW-/131302608813?hash=item1e923ecfad

Dave

What I really would want in this situation would be a right-angle USB A at the battery end and a left-angle Micro B at the recorder end.  Then it you wouldn't have to have that extra bend in the cable at the battery as shown in in your pictures - both cables would exit "up" if running in a bag.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone makes one, so what you found is probably the best solution. 

Yes, I agree that might have been better, and I even found some like you describe, but they're a few cms too long and require a loop to take up the slack. You just can't win(!) Actually the double bend in mine doesn't obstruct anything too badly, and the microUSB connector is protected somewhat by the protrusion of the XLR end. Anyway, if you had to, for around $1.79 a pop you can just keep buying USB cables from China till you get the right one  ;D

Dave

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »

Yeah I've looked, but none look as cool as Groovon's.  I think I'll take one of his. ;)

It improves the sound, as well  ;)

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
Anyone using the built-in M-S matrix? There's almost nothing about it in the manual, that I can find.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:06:45 AM by groovon »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2015, 08:39:20 PM »
Anyone using the built-in M-S matrix? There's almost nothing about it in the manual, that I can find.

Dave

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting.  It appears that you can choose to either recorded decoded or recorded un-decoded but monitor through the matrix.  I'm not sure why anyone would ever choose the first option as you would have to go through extra processing steps in post to change your M/S ratio, unless you have no time for post and need to deliver a M/S recording immediately - maybe for boom pole use?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »

Dave

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting.  It appears that you can choose to either recorded decoded or recorded un-decoded but monitor through the matrix.  I'm not sure why anyone would ever choose the first option as you would have to go through extra processing steps in post to change your M/S ratio, unless you have no time for post and need to deliver a M/S recording immediately - maybe for boom pole use?

There are plenty of VST and AU plugins which allow one to vary M and S without having to decode first.

I love recording decoded so I can listen to the recording on the way home. I then tweak the M/S ratio in post.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline voltronic

« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »

Dave

There are plenty of VST and AU plugins which allow one to vary M and S without having to decode first.

I love recording decoded so I can listen to the recording on the way home. I then tweak the M/S ratio in post.

And I like waiting until I'm home to decode - I feel like it's opening a present, one that I get to tweak right away to get the sound I want.  To each his own, I suppose.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com