Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My First Taping Experience (Please Read And Give Me Advice)  (Read 6136 times)

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
Ok so my gear isn't that great, and I haven't taped too much before (stealth wise). I taped a 15 minute set of my friends band @ a Battle Of the Bands at our high school which was pretty easy. Anyway I just got back from the Civic Tour last night in Pittsburg, PA (Cheverelot Ampitheater, open air ampitheater). The show wasn't that great at all (in my opinion), but I did manage to get all of Dashboard on tape. My gear is a simple CA Stereo T Mic which was clipped to the front of my shirt, and a Sharp MD-MT99. So, I listened to the recording all the way back in the car, and wanted to ask for your advice on the boards..

First off my location was about 20-30 feet from the stage, right in the middle. This was probably my biggest mistake, it is true that sound is the best right where the soundtech sets up in the venue right? If that is the case I figure I was way too close...I had to set my Mic Levels (it goes from 01 - 30 on My Sharp) to something like 03 for most of the show, and it showed the level to be in the middle mostly. Was that the right move to make? Even listening to the show afterwards I can tell it's a little faint, but still that can be adjusted with Soundforge. My second mistake was I was very very very close to screaming annoying 12 year old puffy paint t-shirt dashboard girls. And I think they sang more of the words than Chris. I guess it is just the nature of a Dashboard show to hear more of the audience, because on my recording you can hear ALOT (in fact too much) of the audience. What do you reccomend about this? Should I have tried to move closer to the sound guy to begin with, and away from the girls?

For instance, I went to Damien Rice earlier this year @ a nice club in Cleveland, and the sound was a 1000 times better and the audience was quiet the entire show, so I guess it is just the nature of this being a Dashboard show and being an open air ampitheater.....

Last question I had was, at times it seems the tape is really really bassy, like I said I kept the levels constantly low to prevent clipping, and I still even hear some bassy when Chris played more of the electric songs? Do you think this is my mic, or the nature of the venue/crowd/location?

Any suggestions or whatever please write them, or PM them to me.

Once I get this transfered to my computer, I could put up a sample for everyone to judge. (I'm sure it is pretty shitty though). Thanks for listening.

thierryhenry

Re: My First Taping Experience (Please Read And Give Me Advice)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:27:59 PM »
Ha, I'm not, I like it actually, granted it's not the best, and I know alot of other people on here have alot better, but I still like it. Any recommendations? I was also just thinking, if it would have been better if I wore a hat, and put the mic clipped to the end of the hat?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:38:19 PM »
I doubt you'll find anyone to agree on the best spot to record from...even if you tape at one particular venue over and over, the best spot will depend on the band, the sound engineer, the PA setup, even the size of the crowd! There's a ton of factors to balance.

In the case of a loud crowd and a low-profile recording (where you can't use a stand to get the mic up over the crowd), your best bet is usually right in front of one of the stacks - the music will be so loud that it'll overpower just about anything else coming into your mics. Of course, if the band you're taping runs a stereo mix, it won't sound as good as being dead center. 20-30 feet from the stage isn't a bad place to be, though. Next best is probably back closer to the sound engineer, but not necessarily because the sound is best there, but because you're further away from the screamers in the crowd!

As for bass...probably the mic but it depends on exactly what you're hearing. If it's actual distortion, then it could just be your mic overloading or the preamp in your MD overloading. Hard to tell without hearing a sample...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 12:39:23 PM »
Hey now,

this is the place for info.  I am not sure of Dashboards taping policy but if you can manage it try putting your mic on a stand above the crowd maybe 8-10feet up.  sometimes higher is good to get a way from the chaterboxes.  Set up where it sounds best to you, may be front of board may be at the board.  May be WAY front of board.  While they have the PA kicking before the show walk around to see.  As far as levels go I never run a MD but I like to run my dat so the average level is a little above the middle and the peaks are about 1 block away from Over, of course this requires constant watching less drinking and being somewhat responsible which are all relatively new behaviors for me at a concert.  (Being a fairly new taper myself)
Good luck +T
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:43:10 PM »
probably should clarify a little point  I meant to say "I have never run a MD..."  didn't mean to sound snobby.
gotta watch myself, now that connor is on the case
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Jason R

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 01:03:40 PM »
20 ft. from the stage, all centered up is a good spot at Chevy amp.  With the bass try to adjust it during playback.  90% of tapes I make or get from other folks need either a high pass filter or bass roll off ...whatever its called on your playback system  (thats my ears...and speakers).  I'm sure that soundforge will help you come up with a good master. 
"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 01:40:27 PM »
Good point Jason...I know zippedy-doo-dah about post-processing, so I don't tweak my files at all other than fade in/out and the occasional normalizing. What sounds good on my system may sound like crap on someone else's, so if it bugs them enough, they can EQ and twist knobs to their heart's content on their end. More often than not, I'm the only taper at shows I go to, so it's not like there's anything better or worse around. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

thierryhenry

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »
20 ft. from the stage, all centered up is a good spot at Chevy amp.  With the bass try to adjust it during playback.  90% of tapes I make or get from other folks need either a high pass filter or bass roll off ...whatever its called on your playback system  (thats my ears...and speakers).  I'm sure that soundforge will help you come up with a good master. 

Yeah, I have Soundforge 6.0 could you PM me about how to adjust and drop that bass? Thanks alot!

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »
Something to try is running LINE IN instead of MIC IN.  If your recording has way to much bass and sounds distorted, try this next time.  The Sharp MDs allow you to set the levels on the fly for line in also.

Another thing to try is stack taping.  If the band has a chatty crowd or the sound isn't great (can't find the sweet spot) just go up to the stack and stand in front of it.  You might need ear plugs for this ;)

Good luck, let us know what you try and if you like it or not. ;D
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

thierryhenry

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 12:22:06 PM »
Thanks alot.

I taped my friends band this weekend, a little 30 minute set, outside at an Arena almost it turned out really well, I used Mic In and set the levels a little higher this time, but it was no where near as bassy, but I will try the Line In thing another time. Thanks alot for reading/replying..

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 06:49:53 PM »
would i be commenting if i didn't?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

thierryhenry

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »
Alex make fun of me more!

My first recording:

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79389

Thanks dawg.

thierryhenry

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 07:14:56 PM »
That's fine, just listen to my recording then...

Thanks.

silverbullet

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 07:24:23 AM »
Not sure what mics you used. Omni mics tend to be bassier and may need a bass roll off option. I prefer just to use cardiod mics; cardiods tends to me more forgiving on bass and when pointed toward the stage the crowd noise from the sides and behind will be less.  Keeping the mics high in a hat or on the ears will also help but a little more risky getting caught. Do some test recordings with your home stereo system for starters.

thierryhenry

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 08:27:52 AM »
Yeah I was just gonna buy a Battery Box from SP with Bass Roll Off right now....I have one question about Bass Roll Off, where do you set the level for? I read on SP that there are like 6 levels, what is the best level to set it at? Or does it just depend on how heavy the bass is @ the concert?

Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com