Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni Configurations  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Omni Configurations
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 10:00:30 PM »
I like it over speakers, as does Doug Oade... he and Mike Grace did some GD recordings in '85 using this method, they are labeled as critically spaced omni's. there's some more info on the oade board too...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 10:22:42 PM »
I've run split omni's and "critically spaced omni's - Healy"  I like split omni's a lot, but the healy method wasn't all that great.  The oade site has good information http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/faq-mic.html  and below is a picture of the Healy Method.  The top mics on the stand are akg 393's in DIN (mirth's mics) and the ones below are my SP c-4's in the healy method.

Matt

I can post this recording as well as mirths so you can compare to 393's DIN.  Mirths pull is far better than mine.  There is no presence and we are about 25-30ft from the stage, about as high as the top of the stacks.  Mirth's tape is far better... I may try it again someday onstage, but I dodn't think I'll try it again in the sweet spot.  The image was nice, but the fidelity was lacking IMO.  I ran a 250 hz low pass which didn't add to the quality, but It would have ben pretty boomy if I hadn't.  I new mirth was going to get a good pull so I was playing with my new omni's. 
    I'm going to try split omni's at fareed hague band in Chicago on 2-2-05, and I will post that to the archive for sure.  If someone want to hear the mmw comp I will post chunks of both on an ftp server.  Let me know I can do it this weekend.

Matt

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 10:52:43 PM »
id love to hear the comparison of the 393s and the healy

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 11:52:44 PM »
Can some kind soul provide some links to spaced omni and healey omni shows. Would really love to hear them. Actually, any omni pattern.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 11:56:39 PM »
id love to hear the comparison of the 393s and the healy
ok... I'll get it up.  I have to either up mirth's files from work (that's where I caught the torrent) or I'll bug mirth.  One way or another I'll get it up this weekend.  I'll do 1 track from each the first and second set.  I'll post when it is up.  If someone wants the whole thing I'll cut it up, but I haven't taken the time yet since mirth had such a great recording.
I'll post the spaced omni's by next weekend most likely.

Matt

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 11:57:38 PM »
awesome +T

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »
Yeah...+T. Thanks.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 03:52:33 PM »
Can some kind soul provide some links to spaced omni and healey omni shows. Would really love to hear them. Actually, any omni pattern.

here's an oade thread... I'll look around for tapes on the archive

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/viewthread.mv+thread=8145&message=8222
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 07:19:02 PM »
Ok... Ive got a little server issue going! 
     As of now it is not up yet, but I posted a single song from mirths source, and the same from mine.  I uploaded 2 versions of my source:  1 with post work on it to suit my ear better, and the other straight up.  I think I remember Mirth saying he did some post but I can't remember.  I linked him here so I'm sure he will tell us!  So I may end up throwing another version of Mirths source up as well.  I will post info when I get my server issue handled.

Matt

imissmybus

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
I'm not a technical guy but the only time I ran my omni's (nak 300's) was this summer @ The Gorge for the Dead split 12' apart on the fence in the taper section & I think it sounds great.  I tried it because an old friend of mine had a Phish show from Shoreline I believe where the same mics were split 30' & it sounds huge.   The Healy thing just doesn't seem to make much sense but he obviously knows what he's doing/did.  My 2 cents.   Maybe just 1.

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »

Here are 2 split omni shows I taped from the summer. Im pretty pleased with both of them. I cant wait until it gets warm again so I can use them some more. Ive also run them split on stage spaced about 3-4' with excellent results.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=17138

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=17850
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com