Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise  (Read 69669 times)

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2005, 08:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip Chris! The smallest Exeltech inverter is 125 watt and costs $225. Looks like it protects against all possible conditions. AC power is typically very noisy anyway, so I'm not convinced the power supply in the Tas. won't deal with it anyway. Should I get a monster power conditioner for $75 instead? Anyone else have inverter experiences to share?
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2005, 01:01:28 PM »
has it arrived yet, m0k3..?

the suspense has got to be killing you...

cant wait to see it on saturday...

+t and have fun!
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2005, 01:12:32 PM »
nothing yet :gnashes teeth:
backatcha

i see you have changed your signature...

-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
oh how I love the man in brown!
its here, and its beautiful!

now I'm afraid to plug it in.
gotta go buy some discs,.. out.

another T in 12 for the new toy...

have fun today.

-macdaddy ++

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2005, 03:17:21 PM »
Conradulations!!

I just got a chance to hear the Results from the Widespread Panic Tallahassee show Doug just recorded.

MSTC64g->HHbRadius80->DV-RA1000

Fanfreakintastic!

The mix has come such a long way since the last they were in that venue.  Doug got a chance to setup during sound check so was able to aligng the mics vertically with one of the cabinet layer sweet-spots.

It's so real.

Not to mention he just added the meitner DCC2 to his playback system...

I can't even begin to describe what this does to even 20 year-old PCM masters.  The one word that came to mind "effortless".  On good systems if you take the time to settle into the recording close your eyes and focus you can eventually get yourself into a realtively 3-D space (at least in a frontal half of a sphere), with the DCC2 in place... no settling, no real effort on foucus, it's just THERE!  Amazing!  We listened to a recording that he made way back of the Farm where I live and I couldn't stop smiling, everything was so incredibly disctinct.  There wwas a bird directly over my head, road noise from behind, the rustle of leaves in disctinct locales in all three dimensions.  Then the fabled 9-03-85 Starlight show... I swear that there was a moment when Phil simply grabbed one of his bass strings, didn't pluck it or rub it, just moved it over the pickup and you could hear/feel the air in the room shift with it.

It's interesting because it acted like a sort of primer in my brain, when I got home I was able to get "closer" to that sensation in my system much more easily than in the past.  It's like... OK you remember we were just there a few minutes ago.

It give such great hope about so many good recordings that have been made over the years.  The limitations of PCM seem to be more inherint in playback than in encoding! With that being said... I can't wait to hear more recordings done in DSD!
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »
so what is in doug's home reference system? I've always wondered :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »
while everyone orgasms over the sound of this thing and upsampled 20 year old pcm recordings, it totally sucks for the rest of us mere mortals.  you guys may want to start your own board or something.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »

no kidding...  I've always wondered myself.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »

no kidding...  I've always wondered myself.

count me among the curious...
-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2005, 07:11:54 PM »
ok,..... burning in several hours now, playback only, while I 'cpiher on the manual for a spell,....

redbook playback,...... REALLY FAT!! mmmm mmm!

edit to add,....
Got my hiner sandpapered and turpentined again by Sarge, on seeing the newly arrived toy.

excellent work with the toy...

but take care of that hiney - make sure the boxes and extra paking stuff is safely stowed away before playing...

looking forward to seeing it in action on saturday.
-macdaddy ++

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »

The playback system integrates with the "Studio Side" of the listening room.

I'll just go over what I know of the "Playback Side" side...

Custom built Speaker system consisting of All Dynaudio Drivers and his own custom crossovers, wiring, and cabinets. (Tao Research his speaker line that he did for a little while.)  This includes two main speakers with Dome Tweeters and Midrange (God it's silky) and I'd say about 10" Bass driver.  Then on either side of those custom built Sub boxes also using his own internal components with Dynaudio Drivers  ( I do not know all of the dirver models offhand).  Subs are about 5' Tall with 4 Drivers a Piece I think. These are connected with Monster Speaker cable that is a tad thicker than a kitchen sink drain pipe.  (I never asked the model) to Rowland Research Model 7 Monoblocks.  Preamp is the new Mietner Designs DCC2. He's using the Apogee Big Ben as an external clock for this box. For computer listening he's running the word clock into his PC soundcard then the resulting signal gets routed back to the Big Ben before going into the Meitner. (There are a few folks that we worked with in the past that were using the Sony STR-DA9000ES reciever along with two or three Big Ben's piggybacked... evidently the effect is cumulative!) Sources include Denon DVD-9000, Sony XA-7ES, and a few Modified Panasonic SV-3800's. There have been a few SACD players to make it into the chain for listening tests so I'm not sure which one of those ended up staying. The DV-RA1000 pulls double duty but with the Meitner around he hadn't reconnected since the return from the Tally Show. The above comments about the room are true. He's on a transfomer from the power company that is only shared by one other customer... a church across the street so for much of the time no additional noise in the circuit. But for the occasion when they do turn on a heater he's got power fed by the Monster HTS-5000.  For the listening yesterday he pulled out a couple of Foam Panels on tripods... one to put in front of the television, another for the fireplace.  He made the comment that for serious listening we should have moved the coffee table from in front of us!!

Then there's the other half of the room  ;D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:47:58 PM by Jammin72 »

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2005, 07:22:13 PM »
jesus.

tell me you brought a camera with you ;)
-macdaddy ++

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2005, 07:45:04 PM »
while everyone orgasms over the sound of this thing and upsampled 20 year old pcm recordings, it totally sucks for the rest of us mere mortals.  you guys may want to start your own board or something.

But you see this is the really exciting thing...

It's "doable" in much lesser systems!!!  It IS a seriously logarithmic progression.

On a recording that was made on my rig 481->WarmModPlus UA-5  (X/Y 110deg 12') being played back on my comparatively wimpy system, Onkyo DV-S501->STR-DA3000ES->Tao Research MONITOR's with a pair of 12" passive subs utilizing an internal crossover... I can get close to the same effect!  The difference is that the listening is NOT effortless.  In order to get "there" you have to relax, close your eyes, turn off the lights, and really take the time to sink in and let your brain adjust. The size of the soundstage is not as expansive, I get most of the front half of the "sphere" with minor anomalies depending on how well I did setting up the mics or picking the spot in the venue, and the absolute detail is not as clear, a touch of spittle on the front end of claps and not quite as natural a decay.  It's funny on the Panic recording I get a great open feel to the sphere with a little extra in the upper left quadrant like a small tube-like bubble where there is more stage sound.  On the other system it is easier to tell that the center of the venue just happens to be a little to the right, the bubble on bubble effect is gone.  On the big rig the individual claps are perfectly clear an you can place where they are on the risers or on the floor, the depth of field is just amazing. I caught myself getting a bit confused by my eyes telling me that I was in a 20X30 Room with a 10' Ceiling but my ears were listening to the sound echoing in the rafters of an arena. Letting youself experience both fully is a nifty trip in itself.

This technology will "Trickle Down" and become available to anyone that can hear and takes the time to set up a decent system, tune it, place it, and learn how to listen.  It's already rediculous how well PCM recordings sound on a $700 Receiver!~  As we up the processing power of digital systems the type of upsampling that is occuring in the DCC2 will become more readily available and cheaper by far.

It now clear that the gear we are currently using (and have been) has the capacity to make recordings that we will be amazed by down the road as this begins to become more commonplace technology.  I'm curious to see if the taping styles change as it does take place.  I would guess that many tapes are judged prmarily on thier "clarity" and tonality and less on thier ability to create a soundstage.  The thing is, it is that ability that makes audience recording so very special. It's hard with all of the variables of concert recording to get it right but the great thing is there are so many of us out there trying to make it happen that our odds are ever increased.  When it's done just right it really is amazing what we can accomplish with all of this technology on which we all spend so much time, energy, and love. 

{Later Edit}  All of that being said however there really is no substitute for big Amps on Big Speakers when you're trying to reproduce Phil or Dave...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:50:37 PM by Jammin72 »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2005, 08:08:21 PM »
All of that being said however there really is no substitute for big Amps on Big Speakers when you're trying to reproduce Phil or Dave...

the edit of the century. +t
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2005, 08:16:08 PM »
ok,..... burning in several hours now, playback only, while I 'cpiher on the manual for a spell,....

redbook playback,...... REALLY FAT!! mmmm mmm!

edit to add,....
Got my hiner sandpapered and turpentined again by Sarge, on seeing the newly arrived toy.

Quick immerse yourself in the sound like salve...!

+T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com