Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Guy, you guys gotta love us!  (Read 6273 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: New Guy, you guys gotta love us!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 11:29:09 PM »
Hehe, more like gas and matches! I'm not married but it applies to GFs too.

my girl loves that I'm a taper except when I buy new gear  ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline el gato

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 11:33:03 PM »
you use a tbar to mount the c4's to a stand.  In the knoxville venues you would probably use the the cardiod pattern more often than the omni.  the cardiod sends out a pattern in the shape of a heart and can help reduce chatter coming from behind the stand while the omni has a circular pattern and will pick up noise in 360 degrees.

knoxville needs more tapers, there are only about 3 or 4 of us now. 

welcome

+t

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 11:34:03 PM »
Sorry Recentlyme! Your one of the few, be proud  ;)  Those C4's look pretty sweet, how would you mount those on a stand.......also (I know I could look this up) what is the difference between cardoid versus omni?  Pro's Cons?  You guys and gals are the most helpful bunch of people I have ever met.  I am so excited to actually get this stuff and start paying my dues so I can help others as well.  Thanks again

keep in mind if you buy the c4's you'll need to provide phantom power to them, they are not powered internally like the AT822.  So budget in around $100 for a ps-2 for phantom, more if you want a preamp ect.
mics & cameras

Offline knoxville76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Knowledge Is Power
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 10:46:03 AM »
Ok, so I was looking at some of the rig pics, and I noticed people had some similar set-ups as I am looking at (most had some high end mics) anyway the Edirol UA5 digital interface, is it inbetween the mics and the JB3? I read the description, I am assuming it improves sound quality quite a bit? Does it just convert the sound to 24-bit/96kHz? 

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
Ok, so I was looking at some of the rig pics, and I noticed people had some similar set-ups as I am looking at (most had some high end mics) anyway the Edirol UA5 digital interface, is it inbetween the mics and the JB3? I read the description, I am assuming it improves sound quality quite a bit? Does it just convert the sound to 24-bit/96kHz? 

What it will do is provide power to your mics, it will also allow you to adjust the levels and increase the gain on your recordings. It has 4 inputs so you can run a SBD/AUD Matrix, Finally it will provide an optical out to you JB3 or Coax to Dat.  Which does theh A/D conversion and makes the sound cleaner.

With your jb3 you will still record at 16/44.1 or 16/48, however if you record to a laptop you will be able to make 24 bit recordings. 

You will also need to perform a digi-mod to your UA-5, it is extremely simple and I was able to do it with no previous soldering experience. 

If you get lucky you can snag one used on ebay for around $100-$150.  Dirt cheap for a quality piece of gear.
mics & cameras

Ray76

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 10:53:51 AM »
Sorry Recentlyme! Your one of the few, be proud  ;)  Those C4's look pretty sweet, how would you mount those on a stand.......also (I know I could look this up) what is the difference between cardoid versus omni?  Pro's Cons?  You guys and gals are the most helpful bunch of people I have ever met.  I am so excited to actually get this stuff and start paying my dues so I can help others as well.  Thanks again

you mount em with a stereo bar, and the included shockmounts/ or get shocks like at 8410s(which i used with the c4s) the c4s are great.

Ray

Offline knoxville76

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Knowledge Is Power
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »
Do the  Creative Nomad Zen XTRA record in wav like the JB3? I read the site and they said it supported wav but nothing about recording?

Ray76

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 03:30:35 PM »
Do the  Creative Nomad Zen XTRA record in wav like the JB3? I read the site and they said it supported wav but nothing about recording?
it supports reading, but not recording to, wav.

Ray

Offline knoxville76

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Knowledge Is Power
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 12:50:34 AM »
Due to budget constraints I have formulated this plan.

1. Purchase my JB3 and patch some shows to get some experience tracking and seeding some shows. Plus I think I would learn alot from talking to some fellow tapers out in the field.

2. Then as the wife....er ummm....money allows, I will purchase the mics. 

Anyway, how are patchers looked upon, I don't want to bother anyone, If I have a JB3, what would I need to patch a show? 

Thanks for the input   :-\

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 08:43:24 AM »
Due to budget constraints I have formulated this plan.

1. Purchase my JB3 and patch some shows to get some experience tracking and seeding some shows. Plus I think I would learn alot from talking to some fellow tapers out in the field.

2. Then as the wife....er ummm....money allows, I will purchase the mics. 

Anyway, how are patchers looked upon, I don't want to bother anyone, If I have a JB3, what would I need to patch a show? 

you will need an optical cable for sure...and that is only if the person has optical out on their rig.  another option would be getting a hosa to give your optical...

patchers are fine by me.  Make sure you arrive early, ASK, buy them a bear or whatever, and stay outta the way...

if you just start/stop yours you will be fine.  just be polite and thank them afterwords.  Also, ask if they plan on seeding, b/c you really dont want/need two copies of the exact same thing seeded.

good luck!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 09:22:49 AM »

patchers are fine by me.  Make sure you arrive early, ASK, buy them a bear or whatever, and stay outta the way...

:D  no, please, I don't need any more bears in my life!  Maybe a few bulls or maybe a BEER, but don't buy me a bear, I've had too omany of those in life already. ;D ::) >:D

just funnin' RaZoRbAcK
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline knoxville76

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Knowledge Is Power
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 11:20:52 AM »
Well, I do live in the Smokey Mountains, so I didn't even think twice, you can get bears by the dozen down here!!!!   :D

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 09:51:07 PM »
Hey man,

I think I can help you.  I recently upgraded my mics and pre from AT822 > AD-20 to SP-C4 > UA-5.  The AT822 is a great starter mic, and the AD-20 was a relatively cheap pre/AD Converter that worked fine for the AT822.  That would probably cost $300-$400 total, depending on cables and other stuff you'll need, too.  I did a lot of great shows with the AT822.  It was extremely easy to use, and the battery lasted forever.  The mic is noisy and a little tinny, but not bad in loud bars where it is noisy anyway.

If you can budget closer to $1000, the C4 and UA-5 are both light years ahead in terms of sound quality.  There are a couple things you need to know.  Make sure you get a digimod UA-5, and make sure that the mod was done by the Oade Brothers.  The Oades also offer other mods (i.e. upgrades) to the UA-5, but the will only upgrade it if it was a unit originally sold by them.  You need to have the digimod in order to be able to use the unit's Coaxial or Optical out without using the USB out.  That means, unless you are recording with a laptop, the factory version of the UA-5 is useless.  The digimod rewires the circuits so that the Coaxial and Optical connections are active without the USB being active.  Other people have modded these units themselves, and there are actually instructions here to do it yourself, but the huge advantage of the Oade modded UA-5 is that you can send it to them for the upgrades in the future (at a cost, of course, but well worth the investment, IMHO), and these are mods that you cannot just find instructions and do yourself, so if you don't have an Oade model, you can never get the upgrades.

The C4's are wonderful mics.  There is a huge sound upgrade from the AT822 to the SP-C4s.  The difference between Cardiod and Omni mics is that Cardiods are directional and Omnis are not.  In other words, the Omni will record everything in a 365 degree circle around the mic.  The Cardiods will record what in front and to the sides, but not in back.  It's nice to have both caps in one set with the C4s.  The AT822 is cardiod only.  The C4s come with a t-bar and shock mounts, but not a stand or cables.

Anyway, good luck.  I highly recommend the SP-C4, UA-5, and JB3.  That is a great starter setup, if you can make the investment.

Offline knoxville76

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Knowledge Is Power
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »
Yep, the SP-A4>UA-5>JB3 is what I am aiming for.  It will be a month or so till I can get the JB3. I plan on trying to patch a show or two till I can get the C4's and the UA-5. It's killing me I really want to get started.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com