Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Starting my PS...  (Read 3701 times)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Starting my PS...
« on: November 15, 2003, 04:41:47 PM »
Well, I just picked up the first parts to put together a little SLA pack to power my AD-20 and PB224.  I stopped by a little broadcast supply shop here in Dallas to pick up some T-160 SVHS tapes for my ADAT, and low and behold... they were a PowerSonic dealer.

I ended up with a neat little 1.2AH SLA ($16) and a PowerSonic charger ($34).  I'm just laying it all out and getting ready to order my connectors.   It seems like the standard is 4-pin XLR, and that would certainly work.  It fits all the apparent needs:

- Can't short during connect/disconnect
- Can't be plugged in to anything else
- Is easy to connect/disconnect

But it seems like an awfully large connector.  Does anyone have any comments about the 4-pin XLR versus the Mini-XLR as a power cord?  

I guess the Mini-XLR could be misconnected, but I don't currently have one in my rig.  And I suppose if I upgraded, I'd need a different battery/harness anyway.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Starting my PS...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 04:54:10 PM »
Just as with full size XLRs, the mini-XLRs can only be plugged in one way.  If you want to keep everything nice and small, go ahead and use the mini-XLRs - you can always swap out to a full size 4-pin XLR later if you want to.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 02:25:18 AM »
I go with the 4-pin XLR simply because that's what everyone else is running.  I can think of times where I've needed power from someone or needed to give someone power from my batts at a show.  In every case, both of us ended up with tapes because our gear was standardized on the 4pin XLR connectors.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 02:19:51 PM »
I go with the 4-pin XLR simply because that's what everyone else is running.  I can think of times where I've needed power from someone or needed to give someone power from my batts at a show.  In every case, both of us ended up with tapes because our gear was standardized on the 4pin XLR connectors.

I know this is a really old post, but it's still relevant and I hate to start a new thread on this. 

Is there a standard wiring format for power connectors?  I've just ordered some 4 pin xlr connectors from mouser.com.  I see here that people are using the mini-xlr's .  How do you swap power with someone unless they are pinned out the same?  Did you just get lucky or was there a standard pin-out?

I.e.  Pin1= ?
Pin 2= ?
Pin 3= ?
Pin 4= ?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Re: Starting my PS...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:37:12 PM »
Indeed there is.  I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I do remember that it's different for 6v and 12v -- at least the + side, so you don't have to worry about plugging into the wrong voltage.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll look it up.

C
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »
I go with the 4-pin XLR simply because that's what everyone else is running.  I can think of times where I've needed power from someone or needed to give someone power from my batts at a show.  In every case, both of us ended up with tapes because our gear was standardized on the 4pin XLR connectors.

I know this is a really old post, but it's still relevant and I hate to start a new thread on this. 

Is there a standard wiring format for power connectors?  I've just ordered some 4 pin xlr connectors from mouser.com.  I see here that people are using the mini-xlr's .  How do you swap power with someone unless they are pinned out the same?  Did you just get lucky or was there a standard pin-out?

I.e.  Pin1= ?
Pin 2= ?
Pin 3= ?
Pin 4= ?

from the archive section:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2465.0

6V: Pin 3 is hot (+ 6v), Pin 2 is ground (-)
12V: Pin 4 is hot (+12v), Pin 1 is ground (-)

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:29:18 PM »
I go with the 4-pin XLR simply because that's what everyone else is running.  I can think of times where I've needed power from someone or needed to give someone power from my batts at a show.  In every case, both of us ended up with tapes because our gear was standardized on the 4pin XLR connectors.

I.e.  Pin1= ?
Pin 2= ?
Pin 3= ?
Pin 4= ?

from the archive section:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2465.0

6V: Pin 3 is hot (+ 6v), Pin 2 is ground (-)
12V: Pin 4 is hot (+12v), Pin 1 is ground (-)

Thank you.  What's the 6V for? 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 06:17:50 PM »
Thank you.  What's the 6V for? 

lot's of gear runs on 6V.  other gear runs on 12V.

For example, I currently run my Sony D8 and my Lunatec V3 from 6V SLA batteries.  with this standard pin layout, if I accidently plug in my Sony D8 power cable into a 12V battery, I won't fry my deck, because nothing would be connected.  (different pins are hot).

if you're making a cable for 12V gear, just ingore the 6V pins, and leave pins 2 & 3 empty.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 11:59:56 PM »
what about in between voltage?  Ie 9 and 7, is there a standeard pin assignment?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:05:59 AM »
what about in between voltage?  Ie 9 and 7, is there a standeard pin assignment?

I'm faced with the same question, what to do with the +5V for a JB3.  The problem is, there's not enough pins on these 4 pin xlr's (especially with 2 GND's)

Based on this thread, I'll wire all my batteries with a female xlr with GND and +12VDC. 

Then I'll make a power cable with a 5V regulator in line to knock the 12V down to 5 for the JB3.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:57:17 AM »

Heh...definitely an issue.  I don't know of other standards.  Best way to handle these cases is to label everything clearly, at least voltage and pin assignments.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com