Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mo' bass from my mics  (Read 4617 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mo' bass from my mics
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
thanks for the advice.  looks like i need new mics... ;D

i do have omni caps.  would a DIY j-disc help?  might as well try.

thanks again.

Yes, j-disc or otherwise baffled omnis will get you more bass than you get with cardiods.  I sometimes run cardiods in the ORTF configuration and mix with baffled omnis to improve the bass response.    The ORTF cardiods give a wide stereo image and the baffled omnis give the better bass response.  The baffle I use is homemade and results in the same 17 cm spacing as the ORTF setup, so both sets of mics get the same delay between channels for off axis sounds.  That way, your omnis don't mess up the stereo image produced by your ORTF cardiods when you mix the signals from both sets of mics.  Also by using the same spacing for baffled omnis as you do for your ORTF mics, you don't get instruments that seem to move around, depending on what note they are playing.  If you run straight baffled omnis, it's been my experience that the stereo image is not as wide as you get with ORTF cardiods.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 10:34:14 PM »
Quote from: TeamJa
i've been waiting to do this for a long time   

Quote from: TeamJa
*as TeamJa cuts off beard and hair*

and all i ttook was this?

Quote from: terrapinj
maybe you could hear better if you cut your hair you dirty hippie

he was referring to giving out Ts, the hippie joke is longstanding between us :)

just me being a smartass.  forgot the sarcasm button :-)
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 11:44:25 PM »
SparkE!

try tucking the mics tighter to the disc face,... it'll "widen" the sound out more for you.

this isn't speaking to your timing or phase issue of 4 mics mixed, but rather, as a solo stereo disc recording.

Yeah, thanks Moke, but the ones I'm running are actually set up like boundary mics, mounted flush with the surface of the baffle.  I think that the issue is that the faces of the baffle point in directions that are only 110 degrees apart, rather than at 180 degrees apart like a jdisk.  The whole idea was to create an ORTF-like signal that has some bass in it.  I get a good bass signal, but there is less separation in the channels than on a jdisk setup because the faces of the baffle are both faced partially forward, not straight to the sides.

You are right that with a normal jdisk, you can widen the image by mounting the mics closer to the disk.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com