Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker vs. R-9  (Read 9574 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
Microtracker vs. R-9
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »
I record analog in (Sonic Studios mic > Sonic Studios preamp > recording device) and generally make recordings for my own CD-audio use. I plan on upgrading to one of the two listed recorders, but am not sure about which will be better for me. I want to use the highest format possible for archiving and will downsample. This would point to the MT and I prefer CF to SD as well, however I've heard the analog in is far superior on the R-9 and has less bugs overall (though hopefully by the time I get a new device the MT would have the bugs worked out). Would I be better off with the R-9 and it's ability to only do 24/48, or would it benefit me to get the MT for full 24/96?

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Microtracker vs. R-9
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »
(though hopefully by the time I get a new device the MT would have the bugs worked out).

Though I wouldn`t hold my breath on that point. Sent my Microtracker back last week. Here`s hoping the R-09 is better and user friendly otherwise it`s the Walkman MZ RH1 for me. Plugged my set of  my 853R into a friends Walkman and was very impressed with the quality

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:53:45 AM »
I have used my MT for many months now. I have a 5gb microdrive and a 2gb CF card. I use all the inputs, depending on stealth, portable w UA 5 or not. My only errors have been user error, and fortunately too often or damaging. There were bugs, in early firmware, but it was usually easy to get around these as they were well documented by all of the users as we were all getting our hands around the unit. As with any recording system, it is always easy to do something wrong. (Murphy was a well known taper) The newest firmware seems to have ironed out all the issues. I cannot think of a better deal for the money. I am really pleased with it. :)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:49:59 AM »
R-09 has JUST gotten into taper's hands and needs real user experience and some careful electronic bench testing before performance/feature comparisons can be made as what's the best model choice for certain purposes. 

Should have one for bench testing within the next few days, and hope to do a a short review similar to one done on the MT deck posted on my site.   Review will be from recordists viewpoint who uses external stereo microphone directly into the deck, or maybe with external analog LINE level preamplifier if deck's preamplifier proves a bit noisy as is case for MT deck for acoustic recording purposes using low output type mics.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 04:48:37 AM »
R-09 has JUST gotten into taper's hands and needs real user experience and some careful electronic bench testing before performance/feature comparisons can be made as what's the best model choice for certain purposes. 

Should have one for bench testing within the next few days, and hope to do a a short review similar to one done on the MT deck posted on my site.   Review will be from recordists viewpoint who uses external stereo microphone directly into the deck, or maybe with external analog LINE level preamplifier if deck's preamplifier proves a bit noisy as is case for MT deck for acoustic recording purposes using low output type mics.

+T Sounds good.  I'm looking forward to this.  I'm off to your site to read the MT review now...

Richard

Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Studiodawg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »
I've been using my R-09 for a couple weeks and need to tell ya that its fidelity is stunning. It has held up well in slightly windy conditions much to my surprise. I've recorded acoustic music (fiddle, banjo, upright bass, mandolin) by setting the R-09 in the middle of the group on a chair...and recorded a freight train at point blank range...my wife likes the recordings which to me is a "seal of approval". I'm glad I got the R-09 as it serves its purpose in my recording world...I keep it in a digital camera case on my belt "just in case".

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:35:22 AM »
Can anyone tell me a good reason to get the R-09 over the Microtrack? I've been going back and forth over the past couple of days trying to figure out which one to get. I'll be using which ever one I get for recording my Jazz band live off of the mic that comes with either one, and recording my Music classes during their concerts off of the mixing board. I'd also like to be able to forgo the mixing board and just have a couple mics hooked in via a small mic preamp (I heard the Microtrack doesn't give the full 48x for Phantom) ... So if anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful! By the way, first post here... I love reading the topics here!

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »
Here are the main advantages of the R-09:

R-09 uses 2-AA rechargable batteries, easy to swap instead of the built in Microtracker battery which if it runs out you got to recharge or hook up an external battery.
R-09 has a better preamp.
R-09 has better sounding built-in mics.
R-09 display is brighter and sharper.

Advantages of the Microtracker (MT):
MT uses CF cards which are available in 8GB sizes (but are very expensive), the R-09 uses SD with a limit of 4GB currently.
MT can do max 24/96, the R-09 can do max 24/48 which is what most use even on the MT.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:30:52 AM »
Microtrack has a digital input. The R-09 does not.

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »
Ok... Explain this for me, so I can get a better grasp.. Say I want to input two mics in stereo to the r-09... The inputs are only 1/8th ... So what can I use to be able to do this? I was planning on getting two AKG 1000 mics to use for recording. That's one thing I don't like about the r-09 lack of a lot of inputs.

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »
You use a Y-cable, stereo to 2 mono 1/8 plugs, available at any Radioshack.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »
No mono for me... I'd much rather have stereo. I need something to power the two phantom mics as well.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
Microtrack has a digital input. The R-09 does not.

This to me is the single biggest reason to get the MT over the R-09 even with all the positives of the R-09.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 12:26:24 PM »
No mono for me... I'd much rather have stereo. I need something to power the two phantom mics as well.

you misunderstand:  your resulting image will be stereo.  basically you're talking about adapting 2 ends into a stereo 1/8" tip.

and the AKG C1000s are self-powering, FYI.

Offline ghostyroasty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »
Yeah, I knew that, but I'd like to have a preamp for other mics if the situation occurs. would there be a workaround for the digital inputs? Also a lot of people are downing the Microtrack... Any reasons why?? I know the internal battery is an issue, but I won't be recording over three hours. The concerts I go to only last an hour or so.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com