Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker vs. R-9  (Read 9573 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Microtracker vs. R-9
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »
I just don't get it why the hell would M-Audio make a recording device that is incapable of accepting a line level signal?

Not a whole lot of logical design went into the building of this one, but that is a rhetorical statement around these parts.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 07:14:53 PM »
If you get mics like the AT-853s then you don't need to buy an external pre since the pre is very good in the R-09.  It makes for a very portable, easy to run, high quality rig.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »
If you get mics like the AT-853s then you don't need to buy an external pre since the pre is very good in the R-09.  It makes for a very portable, easy to run, high quality rig.

I think a lot of people are in this situation.  Certainly it has got to be better than iRiver and NJB3 line in that a lot of people use.

The real question is can you get great results from better mics, or do you need an external preamp.  And, if you use an external pre, is the ADC good enough.  It is looking good, but I'd like to see a comparison with something else, like a stock UA5.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 09:00:29 PM »

if you use an external pre, is the ADC good enough.  It is looking good, but I'd like to see a comparison with something else, like a stock UA5.

the ADC in the r1 was good enough for me to drop my modSBM > d combination and roll compactflash.  the r09 is the same, only better!  and smaller!

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 10:23:06 PM »
I think the R-9 is the ticket for me. I also like the AA battery capability, forgot about that. I have no great investment in CF cards to worry about, hopefully the R-15 (or whatever) adds 96khz ability and stays with SD cards :D

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 11:07:19 PM »
if the r09 had dig in it would def take the cake, for some reason i don't like to go analog into the recorder
reminds me of my MD days
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 12:19:59 AM »

I'd say if your running digital-in the MT will suit you well, if its analog line-in go for the R-09.

agree.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 03:11:27 AM »
Check out the HUGELY LONG Microtrack threads in this section if you want detailed accounts of its potential.  The R9 has not been out long enough to offer full-on reviews yet.  Really, as several people have mentioned, the digi-in is the biggest difference.

FWIW, I ran an MT for about 30 shows and NEVER ONCE had a problem.  Loved the thing...it just didn't have enough options for me, but I am NOT a stealther, and need the extra options.
Socks are overrated.

Offline jlmlord

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Parallel Dreams
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2006, 09:55:59 PM »
Gents ... my 3c's worth ... I am increasing the stakes ...
based on various recommendations found in Tapers, I purchased a R-09 ...
My conclusions so far ...

SD card:  ... not explicitely stated in this column, only Sandisk and Lexar are currently supported ... bummer for cheapies ..
Nothing is written about this on the Roland support site
Software:  is indeed easier and speedier to use than MT.
Power:  the MT has integrated battery and an USB supply; the R-09 has separate power supply, and no integrated charger. Means you have more gear/adapters to carry, but maybe down the road the R-09 is cheaper to use ... 
General construction : R-09 is OK but a little weak. I think the MT gets better marks there ...

Regarding mic input ... are you using the MT with the balanced inputs and a stereo mike ? Seems that if one uses a good quality XLR mike, this MT feature could give significantly better quality recordings ...

Well, does anybody have something to add ?

Cheers ...

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 12:27:17 AM »
I just looked around, and listened, to what was available in 1/8" plug-in power mics vs all the things in the low-Z externally powered world, and is there a question here as to which has more interesting possibilities? That's what I based my purchase on. The presence or absence of a low-quality, short-tether internal mic may or may not be important--to me it wasn't, since I intended from the start to get something better.

The other issues seem like a lot of whining, with not too much substance--for instance, so ONE MT on the face of the entire earth caught fire and scares a bunch of R09 fans silly. So what? If you can't stand to start a new file in 2 hours, that's a problem. It's certainly not a big one for me, and, I suspect, not for most people. The hysteria over the MT is really amusing, I think.

I've used my MT with SE1a and MXL 990 mics (and AT3032s, which don't need a full 48V anyway) with no problem at all, in spite of the theoretical voltage problem.

I'd be interested in what the R09 folks mean, substantively, in saying their box blows away the MT, *including*, especially, if any of them have ever actually used both and therefore are qualified to say anything on the issue. I haven't seen any reports yet that say anything substantive about the R09, beyond the usual bunch of cheerleading by people who have to convince themselves they bought the right thing, but there's some solid tests of the MT if you look around. It will be interesting to have some real comparisons, if someone does them.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:44:03 AM by mdarnton »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 02:29:01 AM »
R-09 has JUST gotten into taper's hands and needs real user experience and some careful electronic bench testing before performance/feature comparisons can be made as what's the best model choice for certain purposes. 

Should have one for bench testing within the next few days, and hope to do a a short review similar to one done on the MT deck posted on my site.   Review will be from recordists viewpoint who uses external stereo microphone directly into the deck, or maybe with external analog LINE level preamplifier if deck's preamplifier proves a bit noisy as is case for MT deck for acoustic recording purposes using low output type mics.

Well I for one am still waiting to get one of these for testing! :-\  I even went out and purchased a 1GIG SD Sandisk Ultra II card a month ago for this purpose.
Prevous taper who was to get delivery and send the deck here for testing seems to also be waiting for delivery. 

So the technical review I'd like to do, like that done and posted on my site about the Microtracker, is on hold until more R-09's are shipped, maybe in a few weeks ???   
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2006, 02:49:34 AM »
And here's the best review of the MT to match, as I'm sure you know:
http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

Love those -Ts. Reminds me of the playground in 5th grade.  I just think of them as bad karma points for the givers. Keep them coming, bileboys.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:03:03 AM by mdarnton »

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 03:22:09 AM »
Well I for one am still waiting to get one of these for testing! :-\  I even went out and purchased a 1GIG SD Sandisk Ultra II card a month ago for this purpose.
Prevous taper who was to get delivery and send the deck here for testing seems to also be waiting for delivery. 

So the technical review I'd like to do, like that done and posted on my site about the Microtracker, is on hold until more R-09's are shipped, maybe in a few weeks ???   

Guy... check with cascasde media... I think I heard they may have them in stock.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »

Guy... check with cascasde media... I think I heard they may have them in stock.

I don't think so, I'm on the waiting list.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline randelph

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:05 PM »
ghostyroasty,
check out bpm at [http://www.bpmmusic.com/cgi-bin/bpsrch.cgi?main=edirol].  They don't show it on their website, but they sell the r-09 for $339.
randelph

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com