Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound HEB vs factory DPA 406x  (Read 4633 times)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Core Sound HEB vs factory DPA 406x
« on: July 22, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »
From what I understand, Len at CS takes matched DPA 406x capsules and incorporates his battery box (mics > mini-XLR > box > 1/8" mini-phone plug) into the setup.  Forgive me for the lame-ass question, but is this battery box also a preamp?  I would ask him but I don't like to talk to him on the phone...

I have a general sense that people here shun anything from CS.  I used CSB briefly years ago and didn't care for them.  But for the higher end mics, is the CS distaste just as warranted?  I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what are the advantages (if any) of factory 406x > preamp/batt box over the CS HEB?  If there are indeed advantages, is it too late for me to get things modded in the right direction?

Please don't tell me the HEBs totally suck, because I just recently dropped a grand on them....    :-\
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: Core Sound HEB vs factory DPA 406x
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »
macdaddy uses the HEBs, he may be able to help.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 04:35:34 PM »
They are simply matched 406x series mics with custom termination, and a battery box that is supposed to be superior to DPA's (not my opinion, as I haven't checked out the differences between the two).  No preamp involved.  

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
i use the heb setup.

the batt box supplies power it does not apply gain, thus it is a power supply only, not a preamp...

i have my cable setup terminate in 2x RCA male jacks, as i use my mSBM-1 line-in exclusively...

as for the anti-cs stuff...

personally, i have done business with len over the years. the stuff works and it ships on time, so i am not in constant contact with anyone over there. i do know that when i have had questions, i have called and asked to speak to len (he usually answered the phone), and he was nothing but helpful to me. he didnt kiss my a$$, but he wasnt rude, he didnt lie, he always delivered. i would not hesitate to do business with him/c-s again, nor would i hesitate to call him again and ask him a question. if you are looking for the 406x setup, you should certainly consider the c-s setup; in fact i recommend it...

to not use the cs heb system, you have to use the microdots. those things are friggin' tiny. i certainly wouldnt want to be d*cking around with that stuff in the dark, in cognito, etc... and they are hella-fragile, and expensive, too... just too much to go wrong with there. the cs-heb plug a minixlr to the batt box, and then two RCA male for my mSBM-1 line-in (i will say i hate the miniplug interface 'cos it is fragile, too; i know alot of you are gonna run miniplug out, but there are other options)...

if you do the dpa/microdot way, i would ONLY do so if you knew you wanted the preamp 'cos you needed more gain. this will be with symphony, acoustic recording; if this is your purpose, get that 4060 mics, microdot connetectoins and that snazzy dpa preamp (which truly is a fanatastic piece of equipment). if you are only recording amplified music, i would go with the heb system...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
Okay, I'm feeling better about my purchase of HEBs.  I've only used them for for three shows and have actually been very happy with them, I was just wondering if there was even further room for improvement.  I pretty much stick to stealthing moderately loud rock shows, so it sounds like I'm in good shape.  I'm not even sure what microdots are, but they don't sound like too much fun...

So you have CS battery box to SBM-1 to recorder...?  Seems like a lot of gear to stealth, but then again that's probably nothing for most of you cats out there....     8)

(macdaddy I would +T you if I could)
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline mschiff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »
I also have a pair of HEB 4060 mics bought from Len, and my experience matches macdaddy. I've dealt with Len many times and he has always answered my questions patiently (even when I called several times in a row over just a few minutes). He delivered when he said he would at the price he quoted. I'm also very happy with the mics. I chose to have mine terminated with the microdot terminators, with an adaptor to go to my Mic2496. I use that to feed both (simultaneously) a Microtrack an an IPAQ with Len's PDAudio sound adapter.  That has worked quite well. I just keep the adapter on all the time when I store the mics. I also have a studio and wanted the option of using them separately there.

I couldn't be  happier with the performance of the mics.

-- Martin

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
What's the price difference when comparing CS HEB vs. DPA 406xs + battery box?

I didn't purchase my 406xs from CS because I didn’t want anything modified. Advantage of getting microdot connectors is the ease of upgrading in the future. If you decide to upgrade with an external preamp/power supply MMA6000 you will have problems with your CS HEB. I upgraded my DPA battery box to MMA6000 without problems because I use the original DPA microdots connectors.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:09:36 PM »

I didn't purchase my 406xs from CS because I didn’t want anything modified. Advantage of getting microdot connectors is the ease of upgrading in the future. If you decide to upgrade with an external preamp/power supply MMA6000 you will have problems with your CS HEB. I upgraded my DPA battery box to MMA6000 without problems because I use the original DPA microdots connectors.

I think the DPA route will be around 12-1300??? I would go the DPA route because, well...they are DPA mics. The mma6000 is spectacular..

Teddy

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »
The HEBs are DPAs as well, no mod to the caps, just the termination (mini XLR instead of the microdots).  If you need the pre, the DPAs might be the better choice.  If you just need the battery box & are stealthing, the HEBs might be a better choice.  The DPA battery box is stealthable too, but I've found several who've said that the microdots are quite fragile (haven't seen 'em up close myself).  The HEBs are also matched.  While I've heard of some getting matching pairs from DPA, when I contacted them I was told they don't do matching.  YMMV.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
The HEBs are also matched.  While I've heard of some getting matching pairs from DPA, when I contacted them I was told they don't do matching.  YMMV.

In what respect(s) exactly are they matched?  I'm proud of my matching pair of 4061/HEBs, though I really have no idea what that means...      ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 10:45:25 PM »
Matching (real matching) means both output of the mics is matched, as well as frequency response of the mics. To within a set limit, And distortion measurements should also be taken, so that both mics also have the same overload characteristics.
This involves the use of a lot of good gear, and the smarts to know how to use it.

The HEBs are also matched.  While I've heard of some getting matching pairs from DPA, when I contacted them I was told they don't do matching.  YMMV.

In what respect(s) exactly are they matched?  I'm proud of my matching pair of 4061/HEBs, though I really have no idea what that means...      ;D
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
On anothoer note which I'm not seeing here, but bit me in the rear, DPA offers a 2 year warranty (check their PDF specs on their site) vs Core Sound's 1 year warranty. I bring this up because I've sent my mics into Core over the past 2 plus years( I have their PD-Audio)  only to find out that the problems I had with 1 channel (also their MIC 2496) that Core thought was other then mics, upon inspection by Core found that the mic was bad (after the warranty period). Len thought the problems I was having was from the power supply to the MIC 2496 and I ended up sending in the whole thing while it lanquished for 4 months- Per Len @ Core, this was not defective but due to use, and upon inspection of DPA they found it was defective. The problem is that DPA can't do anything about it since 1- Core modified the cables and two, by the time I got them back to DPA, it was past their two year warranty period. DPA will now repair them and terminate them the way they came in after I pay the cost to replace the mic- at least I won't be chargeged the labor, but for the 4060 would have to foot the bill of $319- Does this price sound fair to pay to replace, or does someone else have a suggestion- I have to purchase one mic as the one I have is broken at the capsule (intermittent drop-out). TIA-

Bummed user of PD-Audio

I think the DPA route will be around 12-1300??? I would go the DPA route because, well...they are DPA mics. The mma6000 is spectacular..

Teddy
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »
yeah..my suggestion is dont deal with core sound. len is a class a dick.

On anothoer note which I'm not seeing here, but bit me in the rear, DPA offers a 2 year warranty (check their PDF specs on their site) vs Core Sound's 1 year warranty. I bring this up because I've sent my mics into Core over the past 2 plus years( I have their PD-Audio)  only to find out that the problems I had with 1 channel (also their MIC 2496) that Core thought was other then mics, upon inspection by Core found that the mic was bad (after the warranty period). Len thought the problems I was having was from the power supply to the MIC 2496 and I ended up sending in the whole thing while it lanquished for 4 months- Per Len @ Core, this was not defective but due to use, and upon inspection of DPA they found it was defective. The problem is that DPA can't do anything about it since 1- Core modified the cables and two, by the time I got them back to DPA, it was past their two year warranty period. DPA will now repair them and terminate them the way they came in after I pay the cost to replace the mic- at least I won't be chargeged the labor, but for the 4060 would have to foot the bill of $319- Does this price sound fair to pay to replace, or does someone else have a suggestion- I have to purchase one mic as the one I have is broken at the capsule (intermittent drop-out). TIA-

Bummed user of PD-Audio

Teddy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com