Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XTi with the lens or without  (Read 6142 times)

Offline teamakg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
XTi with the lens or without
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »
would i be better off getting the XTi with the canon lens for $900 or am i better off getting the body only for $800 and then spending that other $100 to get a better basic lens?  i would be spending that $100 plus some more on a new lens.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: XTi with the lens or without
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
depends.  what kind of shooting do you plan to do and what is your budget?

my initial reaction is to say that you should buy the body only and get a better lens.  that kit lens isn't all that great...

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 04:02:31 PM »
Kit Lens = Sucky (soft and slow)

But it also depends. You planning on doing any low-light, no flash concert photography? If so, you're going to need a FAST lens. FAST = $$$$. However, one alternative, is to go fo a "prime" lens with a fixed focal length. I think you can get a canon fixed 50mm f1.8 for seriously $79. It feels like a toy, but it takes super-sharp images a few stops up from f1.8, and then you have the fast-as-hell f1.8 with the XTi's ISO1600 for those no-light, no-flash moments of need. But, hey, that's only one lens, and one without zoom, and with the crop of 1.6x on the rebel, it's like really having a 80mm, so forget about wide shots. You will shortly need another lens. But you already know that. The thing is, that kit lens starts at f3.5 and goes up from there with zoom (I think). That's probably not going to cut it for low-light, no-flash -- but not sure you care? Anyway, that's one option...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »
until i get the hang of it i'm basically going to point and shoot with it.  i just want a general purpose lens that i can use in various shooting situations.  it doesn't need to be super good at any one thing.  just average across the board.  then once i see where it lacks i'll buy different lens accordingly.  thanks for the quick replies! +T's around.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »
Might want to take a look at these guys (brooklyn, NY), you should be able to get the body and then get the lens of your choice for the same budget....Do Your Homework(everything I have read is positive, but I want to read more before I purchase there)

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=713192
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
I'd run from that store.....

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html

Many of the Brroklyn based camera stores are very shady.  B&H is one of the notable exceptions.  You generally cant get screaming deals on the digital SLR's.  If the reseller is way below the normal price, something is shady.  All that said, I'd agree that the body with a lens other than the kit is the way to go.  The Canon kit lans is particularly bad.  There are some nice midrange zooms out there for the $200-400 range that will probably make you much happier in the long run.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »
I have a similar question.  Pretty soon down the road I'm looking to delve into the DSLR thing and I really like the Nikon D50 for performance and price.  I'd like a zoom lense, so I've thought about this package.  But I also want to do ultra-low light photography.  Any recommendations on a lense for that, or do I need to be set straight about the zoom lense too? 
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »
Might want to take a look at these guys (brooklyn, NY), you should be able to get the body and then get the lens of your choice for the same budget....Do Your Homework(everything I have read is positive, but I want to read more before I purchase there)

You've got to be kidding, LOL!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »
internet camera stores are among the biggest rip-off artists out there.  be very careful.  there is typically no reason to buy from anyone other than B&H, Adorama, and 17th Street Photo.  those 3 are extremely reputable, and do not create those bullshit over priced bundles (body plus 2 crappy lenses, table top tripod, crappy bag, etc for "one low price"). plus, a lot of those stores will not get you warranty credit so be careful.

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »
i'm assuming no but figured i should ask, any issues buying from amazon.com?  thanks again for the comments.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 11:41:17 AM »
i'm assuming no but figured i should ask, any issues buying from amazon.com?  thanks again for the comments.

i would imagine you're not buying from amazon itself, you would be buying from a third party seller through amazon.  i think they can be spotty at times.  i ordered a tennis racket from one last year and though it was in stock it took 3 weeks to get it, multiple emails and phone calls before the fuckers would finally send it.

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »
good point.  i'll make sure that if i do go the amazon.com route that it's from them and not a 3rd party.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

You've got to be kidding, LOL!

actually no...I have ordered from broadway photo ( http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html ) on several occasions, and their rating is the same thing on that website....i dont believe only one site...they have 500+ positive ratings on other sites...(could be fraud)...thats why i gave the disclaimer.   i call and talk and find out the details up front..if i dont like it..i dont buy....of course its not for everyone...but i have saved alot of money that route...someday I will prolly get burned...who knows...
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

ditto

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 05:00:37 PM »
internet camera stores are among the biggest rip-off artists out there.  be very careful.  there is typically no reason to buy from anyone other than B&H, Adorama, and 17th Street Photo.  those 3 are extremely reputable, and do not create those bullshit over priced bundles (body plus 2 crappy lenses, table top tripod, crappy bag, etc for "one low price"). plus, a lot of those stores will not get you warranty credit so be careful.

I'd add to that list samys, normans, ephotocraft, roberts.  There are alot of other internet stores to consider.

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 05:30:48 PM »
Kit Lens = Sucky (soft and slow)...

I kinda disagree. While I got the XT and already "replaced" the kit lens, you can get great pictures from it. It's worth it if you can keep it to less than $100 difference. (I would buy the thrifty fifty or the nifty fifty in addition to the kit lens)

http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

That thread shows off what the 18mm-55mm can do.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com