Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording a live band?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline mjxxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording a live band?
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »
hey im new to this site

i have to record a local gig for a school project and i was wondering how i can record the gig and still keep the sound quality quite good..

i have seen many videos of gigs and the sounds is really bad because of the volume of the music

are there any tips to acheive better sound quality..

like standing further away from the speakers or somthing

thanks

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: Recording a live band?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:05:49 AM »
you could buy an external micrphone if your camcorder has a mic-in.

or record the audio seperately, room mic or a line out from the mixing board.  then mix it w/ the video in post.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:15 AM »
hey im new to this site

i have to record a local gig for a school project and i was wondering how i can record the gig and still keep the sound quality quite good..

i have seen many videos of gigs and the sounds is really bad because of the volume of the music

are there any tips to acheive better sound quality..

like standing further away from the speakers or somthing

thanks
If the only thing you have is a videocam and getting a mic to plug into it (assuming it has an audio in) isn't an option, take the cam to the place where you're going to videotape and do some experimenting.    I'd do it with a band that's about as loud as the one you're going to videotape.  Move the cam all around and then check how it sounds when you get back home.  Dertermine where the good spots are, and when it comes time to do the real thing - you know where to set up.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:47:35 AM »
On a somewhat down note, consumer and many prosumer type camcorders are great for video, but suck big time because of having little or no way to MANUALLY SET THE RECORDING LEVEL AND MIC INPUT SENSITIVITY.   This means the external mic input is ALWAYS ON HIGH GAIN, AND THE AUTO LEVEL IS ENGAGED.   Result is the 1st stage preamp audio is overloaded to distort on at least the bass, and the volume pumps up and down with the bass beat.

NO solution unless having a camera with better audio features, or using an audio recording deck for recording audio later added in post edit to the video; something most are doing because even if having full manual REC level and mic input sensitivity control, most Sony/Canon cameras have audibly inferior audio quality to even minidisc decks.  Only Panasonic brand seem to mostly have good quality camera audio.

Discussion about this issue at: www.sonicstudios.com/videomic.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:21:03 PM »
On a somewhat down note, consumer and many prosumer type camcorders are great for video, but suck big time because of having little or no way to MANUALLY SET THE RECORDING LEVEL AND MIC INPUT SENSITIVITY.   This means the external mic input is ALWAYS ON HIGH GAIN, AND THE AUTO LEVEL IS ENGAGED.   Result is the 1st stage preamp audio is overloaded to distort on at least the bass, and the volume pumps up and down with the bass beat.

NO solution unless having a camera with better audio features, or using an audio recording deck for recording audio later added in post edit to the video; something most are doing because even if having full manual REC level and mic input sensitivity control, most Sony/Canon cameras have audibly inferior audio quality to even minidisc decks.  Only Panasonic brand seem to mostly have good quality camera audio.

Discussion about this issue at: www.sonicstudios.com/videomic.htm

I strongly disagree There is a solution I make a preamp that will attenuate all the way down to -00db to +20 db so you can plug you mics into my preamp go out of my preamp and get the level exactly where it needs to be so the AGC does not freak out.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com