Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording in noisy environment  (Read 1503 times)

Offline bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording in noisy environment
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Hello,

I need to record a lecture in a noise resurant environment and I tried with a Shotgun mic ( mounted on ceiling as the speaker would wear a lav and that's the best location that I could afford) but there are still a lot ambient noise picked up.

As the noise is more than low freqency hum mixed with human chattering. I am considering the option to add another mic pointing in opposite direction to pick up more on the ambient and phase reverse to mix with the main soundtrack.

Is it viable and what other technique could I use?

What will be the best post processing technqiue to clean up?

Thanks

Ed

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording in noisy environment
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
Hello,

I need to record a lecture in a noise resurant environment and I tried with a Shotgun mic ( mounted on ceiling as the speaker would wear a lav and that's the best location that I could afford) but there are still a lot ambient noise picked up.

As the noise is more than low freqency hum mixed with human chattering. I am considering the option to add another mic pointing in opposite direction to pick up more on the ambient and phase reverse to mix with the main soundtrack.

Is it viable and what other technique could I use?

What will be the best post processing technqiue to clean up?

Thanks

Ed

The most simple solution is a headset mic like a DPA 4065 or Audio Technica AT892 or Countrymen e6 headset mics these are all microphones I have used for Theater work and I guarantee you will get less background noise and more of the person speaking and the other nice thing is they can also be used for sound reinforcement if needed for the venue. They are very small not at all a hassle to put on and come in two main colors black and Beige. The DPA is the king of the small headsets but the other two will work great as well. Its the whole idea of getting the mic closer to the source and then you end up reducing background noise due to decreased amount of gain needed to pick up the source this idea works great. The other mic you could use at the podium is the AKG 747 its a very small shotgun mic that also works well but the person using it has to be ON the mic they cant drift around or the pickup will be shit.

Good luck..

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recording in noisy environment
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:14:50 AM »
Thanks Chris.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com