Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Levels / Decibels Question  (Read 8318 times)

Offline echo1434

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Levels / Decibels Question
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I was recording a concert using a recorder with a line input level of 0 dB and mics with a maximum SPL of 144 dB... I was running my input levels at about 95% max and I was right at the threshold of clipping.

Does this mean that the concert was approximately 140 dB? It surely was very loud, but am I making an overly convenient calculation here? :-\
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:24:05 PM by echo1434 »

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Levels / Decibels Question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »
Apples and oranges.  The SPL is the limit that the mic can deal with, without distortion.  In the digital realm, you clip at 0 db.  If the concert was 140 db, you would have blood gushing out of your ears.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline echo1434

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:49:25 AM »
Apples and oranges.  The SPL is the limit that the mic can deal with, without distortion.  In the digital realm, you clip at 0 db.  If the concert was 140 db, you would have blood gushing out of your ears.

Ok, I had doubts about my reasoning here. Thanks for clearing it up.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:09 AM »
What's the usual high for a concert, 110dB?
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline echo1434

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:00:13 AM »

It varies. I think some bands play a lot louder than this.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:07 AM »

Concerts in a club can be 100 to 115 db. In a big stadium 100 to 112 db. Most sound engineers dont want to mix over 110 because they know they will not be able to mix for long at sustained levels of 110. The reason why clubs tend to be louder is the room is smaller the PA is often times too big for the room and the sound engineer often times started out as a DJ.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline echo1434

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »
I guess my perceptions of levels were a bit off then. Take for example DPA 4060 vs. 4061. From what I've read, the max SPLs are 134 and 144, respectively. Even some people on here will say it's best to have the 4061s for the headroom. But if levels typically aren't even approaching 130, then what's the point of 4061s?

P.S. I have 4061s and am very happy with them, but is there really an advantage over 4060s in certain situations?

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:27:47 AM »

Concerts in a club can be 100 to 115 db. In a big stadium 100 to 112 db. Most sound engineers dont want to mix over 110 because they know they will not be able to mix for long at sustained levels of 110. The reason why clubs tend to be louder is the room is smaller the PA is often times too big for the room and the sound engineer often times started out as a DJ.

Chris

Never underestimate the power of too much stage volume in a small club also.  Soundman is along for the ride at that point.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »

Chris

Never underestimate the power of too much stage volume in a small club also.  Soundman is along for the ride at that point.

This is true... I have a love hate relationship with the 'MARSHAL STACK" :) I was a club soundman for years then I whent on to do touring. Your right sometimes the stage volume in a small club is much louder then the PA it self and there is no way for the soundman to deal with it except ask the band to be professional but that only happens every once in a while, when they actually listen to the sound man.

Chris

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »
My math and results suggest dino jr will overload mics in some situations.. Mid floor levels suggest peaks around 132dB.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,85223.msg1135767.html#msg1135767

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »
My math and results suggest dino jr will overload mics in some situations.. Mid floor levels suggest peaks around 132dB.

As a guitar player my self. I often laugh at these guys with 50 amps on stage... I mean give me a break you dont see Clapton with 50 amps he has a pair of matched amps, one is a backup, and a Lesley for a effect.. But the rest is fingers and talent.. :)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 11:28:35 AM »
I guess my perceptions of levels were a bit off then. Take for example DPA 4060 vs. 4061. From what I've read, the max SPLs are 134 and 144, respectively. Even some people on here will say it's best to have the 4061s for the headroom. But if levels typically aren't even approaching 130, then what's the point of 4061s?

P.S. I have 4061s and am very happy with them, but is there really an advantage over 4060s in certain situations?

Microphones aren't designed to record ambient concerts. Some are designed to be stuffed in the grill of a screaming 4x12 Mesa cab in an iso booth at painful volumes.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »
As a guitar player my self. I often laugh at these guys with 50 amps on stage... I mean give me a break you dont see Clapton with 50 amps he has a pair of matched amps, one is a backup, and a Lesley for a effect.. But the rest is fingers and talent.. :)

Laugh all you want but the sound coming out of J's on stage setup is fantastic and I can't think of any better.  Four different head units, all mic'd separately for effects.  The foreground amps are the opener's rig. 

A lot of the amps you see on stage for big acts these days are all show & no go because the amps are turned down too far to hear.  Jeff Beck was that way last year.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 11:54:14 AM »

Laugh all you want but the sound coming out of J's on stage setup is fantastic and I can't think of any better.  Four different head units, all mic'd separately for effects.  The foreground amps are the opener's rig. 

A lot of the amps you see on stage for big acts these days are all show & no go because the amps are turned down too far to hear.  Jeff Beck was that way last year.

:P

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »

as a guitar player myself, i cant think of a player more inspiring to me than j. mascis....i almost fell asleep at the last clapton concert i attended..

^^not trying to start a pissing match...its all good!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com