Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need basic soundboard 101  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Ron Priest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I need basic soundboard 101
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
Can someone please point me to sounboarding 101?

Thanks

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
Re: I need basic soundboard 101
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »
what do you want to know?
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Ron Priest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: I need basic soundboard 101
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:37:30 AM »
what do you want to know?

Well, the basics pretty much I guess.  I didn’t want to bore everyone with my lack of knowledge asking basic questions.  But, since you asked…

I’m a videographer (mostly weddings) and I have had this old Peavey Unity Series 1002-8 RQ soundboard for a few years now.  I think I used it 1 time. Then I just started mixing my sound at my camera using wireless Sennheiser’s and the Azden 3-cam mixer.

So, I’ve recently purchased a Edirol R-4 and am really looking forward to recording 4 separate channels simultaneously.  However, I thought I might want to use this soundboard at times with the R-4.  I know most of the time I wouldn't need a soundboard with the R-4, not at weddings and receptions anyway, but I would like to know the basics of how to use the board for times when I might want to mix more than one mic to any single channel on the R4. Also, I was thinking that the gain controls along with the High, Mid and Low equalizer would add richness to the sound going to the R-4.  I assume the “gain” are the “pre-amps” built into the board, am I correct?  See, I don’t know much about sound.

Anyway, I have the manual for this  Peavey 1001-8 but it doesn't really tell you how to set up the board, it just tells you what everything is, not how it's suppose to work.  I understand I have the two main line outputs (left and right) which use a 1/4" Phone (I'm assuming that TS- unbalanced) and I can monitor those outputs using the 2 LED meters controlled by the Master Left/Right Faders, but where should I try to keep the level at 0db… -12 db?   Also, where am I supposed to set my individual gain knobs for each channel?  Is everything supposed to be balanced so it is on 0db?  By everything I mean the channels gain control, along with it’s corresponding channel output level control (fader). Or, am I suppose to set the channels fader just to the point that the clip led on each specific channel is not clipping?  Just what is the magic here?

Then there is the Monitor output, I understand this is for a monitor (speaker) providing some feedback for the performers, but If I’m just using the soundboard for recording purposes, can I not use this monitor output for a 3rd mono channel output to my R4?  In other words,  can I not use the mail left output as a mono channel, and the right main output as a second mono channel going to my R4, and then use the monitor as a 3rd  mono channel going to the R4?  There is the Effects output, can I use that as a 4th mono output to the R4? The problem I see is that I don’t have any LED meters for the monitor and effects output, so how do I know that I’m not clipping that signal output?

Then there is the stereo return.  My guess is that is the return for anything you would normally send out of the effects output?   

Then last but not least, I have the tape in and out connections, I pretty much realize what to do with those.

Thanks for your help, I sure don’t expect anyone to answer all of my questions, not in one setting anyway, but as you can see, I just need to be pointed in the general direction.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:44:11 AM by Ron Priest »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com