Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stupid question.. Disconnecting mics while phantom power is on?  (Read 11386 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Stupid question.. Disconnecting mics while phantom power is on?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:10 AM »
I got this from Schoeps.  I doubt that they are different from other mic manufacturers.  Also, Schoeps mentions mixing consoles.  I doubt knowledge of this would be confined only to mixing consoles.  I have had both SD and Schoeps say it is OK.  You can say what you want, I am betting on these guys.  If you have doubts about your hardware, why not write the manufacturers instead of gassing about it?  Unless you just want to gas about it rather than get a reliable valid answer.

"Hello Robert,

as long as the phantom power is within specifications (i.e. 48V ± 10% @ 6.8kOhms) it makes no difference for our microphones if  powering is on or off during plugging.

With no microphone connected the input capacitors of the mixing console are charged to 48V. The very first moment of connecting a microphone may be similiar to a short circuit as inside the microphone there are capacitors who are discharged to zero. The designers of both microphone and mixing console know this effect and will integrate some means of protection like zener diodes or resistors or chokes. The zener diodes will prevent the voltage getting too high for certain components. The resistors will prevent a too high current and the chokes reduce the shoulder of the peak.

A damage may occurr if someone "modifies" his power supply or creates one of his own ignoring such protection rules. In such cases it is highly recommended to plug and unplug the microphone only with the powering switched off. We know users who drive their microphones with up to 70V why ever. For our microphones this will lead to no advantage at all but to a very high risk to damage them.

My personal experience with plugging and unplugging SCHOEPS microphones since more than 20 years that I am working here:
I never switch off the supply and I never had any defect by doing this.

With kind regards

Bernhard Vollmer

Head of Quality Control & Customer Care
Phone +49-721-9432021
Mail vollmer@schoeps.de

SCHOEPS Mikrofone GmbH, Spitalstr. 20, DE 76227 Karlsruhe
Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB Nr. 102442, Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Schoeps"

I might ask DPA .... but I'm sure they will say the same. I personally always plug everything in and set everything up first before putting on the power, and I always switch off everything before disconnecting or dissembling anything (not only for recording gear, but for home appliances etc, too).. It's just a habit of mine....But it's good to know. Thanks T+
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 01:34:51 AM »
Switching off the phantom supply can cause just as much of a pop in some preamps as unplugging the mic with the phantom on in the first place. However that being said live and in the studio.. Its never a good idea to plug anything in when the phantom is on or unplug anything when the phantom is on. This can blow up studio monitors. But this will not damage mics or preamps in any way. So I say switch off the phantom unplug the mics.. plug the mics in switch on the phantom.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »
Phantom power was designed to support this. According to what people has written in other forums, the BBC used to have phantom on permanently in their wall boxes in the studios so no choice there. So it should not be a problem connection or disconnection with phantom on, I have done it often enough.

Still, if possible avoid it.

Gunnar

If it is good enough for the BBC, it is good enough for me.  They have way more experience and equipment than I will ever have.  I can safely say they know better than most if not all on this board.  No exceptions.

EDIT: I thought about this and I may be wrong.  There may be people on this board who know more than the techies over at the BBC.  I hope they will make themselves known if they are here.  This is no time to be shy.  We could all profit from your knowledge and wisdom.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:57:41 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »
Phantom power was designed to support this. According to what people has written in other forums, the BBC used to have phantom on permanently in their wall boxes in the studios so no choice there. So it should not be a problem connection or disconnection with phantom on, I have done it often enough.

Still, if possible avoid it.

Gunnar

If it is good enough for the BBC, it is good enough for me.  They have way more experience and equipment than I will ever have.  I can safely say they know better than most if not all on this board.  No exceptions.

EDIT: I thought about this and I may be wrong.  There may be people on this board who know more than the techies over at the BBC.  I hope they will make themselves known if they are here.  This is no time to be shy.  We could all profit from your knowledge and wisdom.

Simple no damage can result from hot plugging in a mic into a phantom power xlr except ( damage to studio monitors ) and possible short circuit * that would happen anyway * if there was a problem with the XLR cable. I would never EVER plug in a mic into a mixer with phantom power on, because that's they way I was taught.. But again its just because if you have a PA system with 150,000 watts and you do that and the channel is unmuted all hell with break lose. Thats why I dont do it.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
The only risk from disconnecting a condenser microphone while it's powered on is exactly the same risk as you'd have disconnecting a "non-powered" dynamic microphone: If you're amplifying the sound and that mike's level control isn't muted, you could get a loud bang or pop in its channel. This could cost you some output transistors in a power amp, and/or a woofer cone or two. If you're recording, you might get an approximate indication of your preamp's transient response--but damage in that case is extremely unlikely, unless you're driving the P.A. system with that signal.

As far as the microphone itself is concerned, it's no more violent than switching off the powering would be.

To take things one step further, I've noticed that people from Schoeps routinely change capsules during product demonstrations without ever shutting off the microphone powering (be it phantom or otherwise). Apparently this really isn't a problem for them--but I wouldn't assume that this necessarily carries over to any other brands. Normally I would rather disconnect the microphone, change capsules and then reconnect the microphone, all with that microphone's channel fader turned down, of course.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:08:29 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 09:08:04 PM »
saturday night i switched caps on my 460's during set breaks w/ phantom power on accidentally. but nothing bad happened that i can tell.

I did that once and the second set was covered in a weird static that I could never duplicate at home.  ie the caps and v3 were fine but fucked it up that night.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com