Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardioids>iRiver H320 with no preamp between (I'm in a temporary pinch)?  (Read 6142 times)

Offline greatape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
Re: Cardioids>iRiver H320 with no preamp between (I'm in a temporary pinch)?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »
I used my Church Audio cards.  They're not the Stc-11's like you have, I think.  The cards that come with the STC-9000 and mic package.  I don't remember for sure but I think I had the gain set at about 15 or 16.  The only other difference is that during the Morello set I had them clipped to my jeans with my knee propped up so they had good line of sight.  Before the Serj set I found a piece of tape on the front of the balcony and created what I thought was a nifty little T-mount.  Maybe I was too close to the concrete ledge and got some kind of weird reflections?
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 07:02:06 PM »
I used my Church Audio cards.  They're not the Stc-11's like you have, I think.  The cards that come with the STC-9000 and mic package.  I don't remember for sure but I think I had the gain set at about 15 or 16.  The only other difference is that during the Morello set I had them clipped to my jeans with my knee propped up so they had good line of sight.  Before the Serj set I found a piece of tape on the front of the balcony and created what I thought was a nifty little T-mount.  Maybe I was too close to the concrete ledge and got some kind of weird reflections?

All of my cards are st-11 I dont make any other cardioid mics.. Since day one the design of my cardioid mics remains unchanged.

Chris

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

All of my cards are st-11 I dont make any other cardioid mics.. Since day one the design of my cardioid mics remains unchanged.

Chris

Cool. I always wondered about that but never got around to asking you.
My Videos:

Audio:

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »
HRTF or shoulder level is the way to go.......  PM me for more explicit instruction.  Your girlfriend and Afroman will thank you.  His foolish manager, on the other hand, doesn't need to know.

Did you have Safety Clip set on your iRiver for the Serge & FCC show?

Don't sweat only having mono recording for the Dead Kenny G's.  Only way Phil Spector would have it anyhow.

Joe

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 10:18:02 PM »
When I remember, I turn safety clip off.  I don't really like computers thinking for me.  It always defaults to "on".  I just fired up my iRiver and noticed that as I turn my levels up, safety clip goes down.  I never paid attention to that before.  At 16 db of gain, safety clip moves to 32 db.  What does that really mean and could that have played a role in my poor recording?  I thought safety clip would just lower my gain if it detected clipping.
My Videos:

Audio:

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 10:42:58 PM »
48dB is the max gain for the internal pre.   Saftey Clip levels that you see changing vs your raising the gain level is the difference to that max.  It actually reflects that figure for all levels of AGC in Rockbox.  But as we all know, Saftey Clip NEVER raises gain, so no worries there.

I set Rockbox do that the max gain that can be set is+20dB.  +24dB is said to be the last analog step in the pre, then digitally stepped up.  That also changes the relation of the above numbers.  All this helps in low profile situations.  It still up to you to ride the fader up.

Safety Clip would not add to the distortion you experienced.  That was either mic placement ( doubtful ), or bass levels.  The fact that someone else taped a loud PA without battery box sucessfully doesn't mean that the PA you sat in front of didn't have higher bass response than the samples.  The last arena show I sat through ( Alice In Chains, Velvet Revolver ) had HORRIBLE PA bass.....

Why not post an mp3 sample of your pull.  Maybe that will show further clues as to the cause of your distortion.

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
The fact that someone else taped a loud PA without battery box sucessfully doesn't mean that the PA you sat in front of didn't have higher bass response than the samples.

Of course it doesnt necessarily mean that, but I just thought it was strange that it was 'totally distorted' and not just 'some kind of distorded', assuming that we used the same mics, recorders and levels.

I wasn't that close from the stacks, so maybe it was proximity what influenced more + fucked PA or something.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
or fucked soundguy....   "more cowbell" syndrome

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
Here is a very short sample wav file (I'm bandwidth challenged): 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ccdoz

It sounded great in person so I don't think I can blame it on the sound guy. 
My Videos:

Audio:

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 12:32:22 AM »
Yeah, it sounds like too much low end with out enough bias voltage.  But having said that, you could play with a high pass freq filter, which would roll some of the bass off and still have a more listenable tape than much of what is shared on a regular basis.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com