Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 & 4 Mics Question  (Read 5409 times)

Offline shayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: UA5 & 4 Mics Question
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
Not to hijack this post, with the R4 you record 2 seperate tracks then mix in post? I don't understand that completely, Probobly because I really haven't dove in to post editing of my recordings, I just record the track and split the tracks using cd wave and thats it. You must have some program to do this correct, or can the R4 record and mix the tracks on it's own. Again sorry to get off topic but it's a question I have had for sometime.
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »
^^the R-4 records 4 tracks.  a jb-3, or MT, or dat or whatever records 2 (left and right).  when you record a matrix with the R-4 you would typically record two mics and a left and a right from the board.  ending up with four tracks to mix down in post. If you are not "mixing" your two track recordings that just means that you are happy with the blend of left and right and they are at about the same level or volume.  If one side of a two track recording was hotter than the other you could "mix" it to be more even by reducing or boosting one channel.

that might clear it up a bit. (or make things worse, not sure :)  )
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 04:05:12 PM »
Not to hijack this post, with the R4 you record 2 seperate tracks then mix in post? I don't understand that completely, Probobly because I really haven't dove in to post editing of my recordings, I just record the track and split the tracks using cd wave and thats it. You must have some program to do this correct, or can the R4 record and mix the tracks on it's own. Again sorry to get off topic but it's a question I have had for sometime.

The R4 records the four tracks (2 SBD + 2 mics) distinctly, and then you mix them yourself at home.  The advantages to this are:

1.  You don't have to worry about delay.  If there is a delay, you can remove it at home before you mix the tracks.
2.  You don't have to worry about relative levels.  You can figure out how much SBD vs. mics you want in the final mix by adjusting the levels of each until you like it, and you don't have to worry whether you're able to hear the relative mix over headphones while the band is playing.
3.  It allows you to make three dimensional mixes.  I have been experimenting with DTS 5.1 Surround mixes with the Board or matrix mixes on the front channels and the mics on the rear channels.  This is a way to make some really spectacular mixes (see: http://www.archive.org/details/tbm2007-08-09.DTS ).

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »
I just picked up a nice deal on a UA-5 to be able to stealth at 24 bit, and also run 4 mics at once.  Am I correct that the second set of mics, running into the RCA jacks on the back, needs its own phantom power source?

I guess I'm going to need to get an external PP for the 4021s (Denecke has one of these, right?) if I want to do a 4-mic mix.

[that first sentence is written badly--I'm not stealthing 4 mics!]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:24:48 PM by danlynch »
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 04:26:34 PM »
Am I correct that the second set of mics, running into the RCA jacks on the back, needs its own phantom power source?

Yup
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
Thanks, looks like the PS-2 is the item I was looking for, although that will still require XLR > RCA adaptors.

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
I just picked up a nice deal on a UA-5 to be able to stealth at 24 bit, and also run 4 mics at once.  Am I correct that the second set of mics, running into the RCA jacks on the back, needs its own phantom power source?

I guess I'm going to need to get an external PP for the 4021s (Denecke has one of these, right?) if I want to do a 4-mic mix.

[that first sentence is written badly--I'm not stealthing 4 mics!]

You will need a phantom power for the mics AND a preamp in front of the UA-5.  The rca jacks are line level and do not provide amplification for a mic level signal.

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:38 PM »

You will need a phantom power for the mics AND a preamp in front of the UA-5.  The rca jacks are line level and do not provide amplification for a mic level signal.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I don't think so.  The UA-5 is a preamp, and will power one of the sets of mics.  You either need a phantom power source, or another preamp, but not both, to power the other mics going to the RCA inputs.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:48 PM »

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I don't think so.  The UA-5 is a preamp, and will power one of the sets of mics.  You either need a phantom power source, or another preamp, but not both, to power the other mics going to the RCA inputs.

The UA5s RCA is controlled by a Volume knob, not a Gain knob.

You may want to set Volume at a known level and adjust Gain with a PreAmp.  Or you could use only PH and the Volume together for the same purpose.

You want to think of the RCA inputs as an Analog Line-In (like of other devices), but with a Volume knob.  You want to have a complete Mic set-up that will output Line-Out via RCA.  However you achieve that is up to you. 

I'm not sure I would rely on the Volume knob to get good results as it operates both channels equally, and is hard to adjust or even reach.  I think a PreAmp will give better results. 

Also, the Oade Plus mod made these RCA connections "cleaner".  You may want to seek out a Plus Mod UA5 if you intend to do a lot of 4mic or Mat recordings using the RCA inputs.  Its worth it...

Terry
(Former WMod+ Junkie)

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:48:31 PM »

The preamp does NOT work on the rca inputs, just the XLRs.  The rcas are a line in, with a volume knob that attenuates, but does not amplify.  Do whatever you want, but I've done this with my UA-5 with just Mics > PS2 > rcas.  You can crank the volume all the way and the signal is a little above barely audible.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 01:26:24 AM »
Ok, guys, thanks for the advice.  It looks like my 4 mic mix is not a plan.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 02:26:16 AM »

I never ran a 4mic, but did do a few SBDs into the RCAs to make MAT tapes...   

I think you can do it...  Does your 660 have a line-out???  Maybe run your small rig the same time as your large, and use your 660 as you preamp/back-up to your 4 mic mix???

I also think you can use a less expensive Pre to do waht you want...  Try a Church or a ARTs???

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
Yes, the 660 has an 1/8" stereo line out.  Not the great connect, but it would actually
serve the purpose.  I'll probably run this convoluted rig at some point as an experiment.
I really like the result of my recent 4-mic mix recording.

I never ran a 4mic, but did do a few SBDs into the RCAs to make MAT tapes...   

I think you can do it...  Does your 660 have a line-out???  Maybe run your small rig the same time as your large, and use your 660 as you preamp/back-up to your 4 mic mix???

I also think you can use a less expensive Pre to do waht you want...  Try a Church or a ARTs???

T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com