Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stage recording  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
Re: stage recording
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »
I have similar questions and was going to make a thread.

I plan on stage taping a solo acoustic performance on Friday.

I will be running the new busman mics. I do not plan to split the mics. I plan to run on a onstage stand.

What height should I run them at and also what caps should I use?
I have hpyers card wide card and omni.

Keith
wide card NOS

What he said
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
heres a few pics of the onstage setup last weekend at jerry joseph...  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97397.0.html
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:26:05 AM »
I'm a coincident fan myself when running on stage or at the lip.
In fact, the more FOB I am (right up to the stage), the more likely I am to run some form of coincident method.

on stage XY between 90 -120deg is awesome.
If the mix is "just exactly perfect" on stage, then blumlien is the way to go (or if taping un-amplified instruments / musicians).  and, if you are considering XY ,then MS is also sweet as you get to play with various XY angles upon mixing.)

If  you have LD mics that are good...I'd use those on stage.
the closer you are to the sound source, the better LD sounds.
as you move back into the crowd in any given venue, the SD mics tend to shine as they respond faster to the weaker pressure in the air (my thoughts have always been that taping from a distance w/LD mics sounds sluggish to me when compared to an equal rig w/SD mics from the same location.  many 480 vs 414 comps in the past brought me to this conclusion).

but, thats just my thought process and opinion.
Its hard to make a stage tape that would be truly "bad".
experiment.  two sets...two different configs. 

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
I plan on stage taping a solo acoustic performance on Friday.

I will be running the new busman mics. I do not plan to split the mics. I plan to run on a onstage stand.

What height should I run them at and also what caps should I use?
I have hpyers card wide card and omni.

I don't think we know enough to give advice, yet.  What instrument?  Singing, too?  Amplified or unamplified acoustic?  If amplified, on-stage monitors or in-ear?  Will there be an on-stage amp?

Guitar and singing. Amplified and monitor
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:29 AM »
For vocals with stage recording, it's best to use a 4-track recorder like the R4 or 744 where you can get a separate line for the SBD recording.  A straight PA feed and stage mics will almost always mix well together.  If you think about what is on each recording, in a small venue, the PA feed reinforces the sound that is not coming off the stage and the stage mics capture what is not in the PA.  If you listen to each individually, most times (again in smaller venues), neither will be mixed well on its own, but on some ratio, it will sound perfect.

When the SBD is not next to the stage, to do this, you'll need to ask to use the soundguy's snake to get your stage feed back to the board area where you can also get a PA feed.  If that's not an option, I have as a last resort, mic'd the stage monitors with a second set of mics (again, make sure you ask before you do this, but that should be common sense), but again, the PA mix is definitely preferable to the monitor mix as the "SBD" feed, especially if there is more than one stage monitor mix.  If you're mic'ing the stage monitors, make sure you mic the horn, not the woofer.

If you don't have a 4-track recorder (or at least 4 inputs like a UA-5), try to at least get in some proximity to the monitor to pick up as much vocals as you can.  Here's some samples:

Mics + PA:
http://www.archive.org/details/tbm2007-08-09.1644-Matrix

Mics + monitor:
http://www.archive.org/details/Sage2007-12-23.1644-Matrix.flac16

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
I'm a coincident fan myself when running on stage or at the lip.
In fact, the more FOB I am (right up to the stage), the more likely I am to run some form of coincident method.

on stage XY between 90 -120deg is awesome.
If the mix is "just exactly perfect" on stage, then blumlien is the way to go (or if taping un-amplified instruments / musicians).  and, if you are considering XY ,then MS is also sweet as you get to play with various XY angles upon mixing.)

If  you have LD mics that are good...I'd use those on stage.
the closer you are to the sound source, the better LD sounds.
as you move back into the crowd in any given venue, the SD mics tend to shine as they respond faster to the weaker pressure in the air (my thoughts have always been that taping from a distance w/LD mics sounds sluggish to me when compared to an equal rig w/SD mics from the same location.  many 480 vs 414 comps in the past brought me to this conclusion).

but, thats just my thought process and opinion.
Its hard to make a stage tape that would be truly "bad".
experiment.  two sets...two different configs. 

I agree with everything said here
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »
For vocals with stage recording, it's best to use a 4-track recorder like the R4 or 744 where you can get a separate line for the SBD recording.  A straight PA feed and stage mics will almost always mix well together.  If you think about what is on each recording, in a small venue, the PA feed reinforces the sound that is not coming off the stage and the stage mics capture what is not in the PA.  If you listen to each individually, most times (again in smaller venues), neither will be mixed well on its own, but on some ratio, it will sound perfect.

When the SBD is not next to the stage, to do this, you'll need to ask to use the soundguy's snake to get your stage feed back to the board area where you can also get a PA feed.  If that's not an option, I have as a last resort, mic'd the stage monitors with a second set of mics (again, make sure you ask before you do this, but that should be common sense), but again, the PA mix is definitely preferable to the monitor mix as the "SBD" feed, especially if there is more than one stage monitor mix.  If you're mic'ing the stage monitors, make sure you mic the horn, not the woofer.

If you don't have a 4-track recorder (or at least 4 inputs like a UA-5), try to at least get in some proximity to the monitor to pick up as much vocals as you can.  Here's some samples:

Mics + PA:
http://www.archive.org/details/tbm2007-08-09.1644-Matrix

Mics + monitor:
http://www.archive.org/details/Sage2007-12-23.1644-Matrix.flac16

this is what i have been doing alot lately. highly recommend the onstage + sbd recordings.

Offline Chomps

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 12:38:33 PM »
What about mix the two after the fact?
Mixing a board patch with a X-Y recording on stage?
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »

absolutely.

i've been mixing the 2 sbd channels equally (in post so they sound the same out of each channel) then use the onstage to add the stereo image.

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

That's a bit harder if you're not recording with a 4-track recorder because you have to worry about drift from not using the same wordclock for each recording.  If you're going to do that, first cut both files at exactly the same spot.  Then resample one of the files to the highest sameple rate you can (like 192k or something).  Then use one of the wave editing programs (like Soundforge or whatever) to correct the length of that file to as close to the length of the other file.  The accuracy you can achieve is inversely related to the sample rate of the file, which is why you must resample to the highest rate first.  After the file is time-aligned, then resample back to the sample rate of the other file.  Like this (all this can be done with Soundforge or a multitude of other wave editors):

1. Cut SBD & aud at the exact same spots.
2. Resample aud to 192k.
3. Stretch aud to be as close to SBD time as possible.
4. Resample aud to SBD sample rate.
5. Mix.

Offline Chomps

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I am going to go with:

X-Y with the Cards on Stage at 3-4 feet
also record the board then mix in post.

I have yet to do the mix on the fly with the UA5. This is not the show I want to practice on.

Thanks again everyone.

Keith
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »

I recently got fantastic results using SBD>Microtrack plus DPA 4060s (ie omnis) spaced about two feet apart, taped to a guitar stand just in front of the wedges>Iriver 320.

Dropped both recordings into Vegas (time-stretched one so they matched up) and mixed them 1:1. The band was 3x acoustic guitars, 4x vocals and a drummer.

Both recordings sounded good in isolation but when mixed together, the audience tape lends a bit more low-end and a more natural stereo image as well as capturing the audience response in a more subtle way than a 'proper' audience tape would.

It was very much a bodged together, spur of the moment effort but the results are very promising. +T to all for all the excellent ideas here - looking forward to more experimentation...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Chomps

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
One more quick question about the placement of the stand.

Where exactly am I going to place my stand?
Directly infront of the performer on the stage or just off the stage directly infront of the performer?

Keith
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com