Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rockbox status update  (Read 11255 times)

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rockbox status update
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.

Just tried on my h120 and I can't reproduce this. Are you keeping the joystick left/right or nudging it for each increment?
For some reason the gain doesn't update if you keep it pressed too long - it only updates again when you release. If that is your problem, I'm checking it ;)

Sounds more like what you said, it is doing it but you aren't seeing it do it until you let up on the stick.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
Certainly no offense intended whatsoever (as I really appreciate your team in everything you do), but if you are taking comments, suggestions etc, here's mine:

while recording, the font size is waaay too small. Meaning the MegaByte counter that increments (to show you that you are recording and the file is getting larger) is a bit on the small side.

2) and on the same matter, instead of having a megabyte counter increase (again when recording),  can you have an actual time counter instead?

3) of yeah, the font is too small.   ;D

My gear:
h320 (with modded 4gig CF card) running on a early June 2008 build. Haven't tried that new build yet

Status Update:
I just committed a first redesign of the recording screen. It now uses the user font and is split between a fixed top part and a list below.
This means bigger fonts and peakmeters :)

Comments, suggestions,... are welcome

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »
Certainly no offense intended whatsoever (as I really appreciate your team in everything you do), but if you are taking comments, suggestions etc, here's mine:

while recording, the font size is waaay too small. Meaning the MegaByte counter that increments (to show you that you are recording and the file is getting larger) is a bit on the small side.

2) and on the same matter, instead of having a megabyte counter increase (again when recording),  can you have an actual time counter instead?

My gear:
h320 (with modded 4gig CF card) running on a early June 2008 build. Haven't tried that new build yet

Status Update:
I just committed a first redesign of the recording screen. It now uses the user font and is split between a fixed top part and a list below.
This means bigger fonts and peakmeters :)

Comments, suggestions,... are welcome
...this thread is about the LATEST build with updated recording-screen  ;D...........we already know that older builds like yours from June have small peakmeters etc.

I just upgraded to the latest build and the recordings screen is much easier to read now.
There is some small issue with the gain-setting not being dynamically updated after it´s been altered.
Am sure you will realize this on your H120 too.
;)

Thanks a lot Petur!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:23:10 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done?  Thanks.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 05:13:29 AM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done? 

How about recording a bit and checking the file in an audio editor? ;)

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 05:15:53 AM »

Well my latest changes actually fix all that, so if you would care to actually try it out...

As for the time counter: it has always been there

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 08:08:36 AM »
I know this is NOT the place for it petur, but it is the most active area to put this question and I don't want to go to the RB forum to put it up or search for the thread, I'm lazy.   Was 96k confirmed to be accurate on optical recordings?  My set up is going to be Mics > UA5 > EEE PC 24/96 and the h120 on optical as back up.  Recording shows 96k.  Is there a way I can confirm it really is 96k or has it been done? 

How about recording a bit and checking the file in an audio editor? ;)

I did, the h120 showed 96k when recording and when I loaded it in Audition it showed 96k as well.  Is there a specific thing I need to do to make sure it is true 96k?
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
I did, the h120 showed 96k when recording and when I loaded it in Audition it showed 96k as well.  Is there a specific thing I need to do to make sure it is true 96k?

afaik, if it records optical you get the bitstream as it was received. So it records what you throw at it, and when it doesn't complain it should be ok.

Is there any specific reason you doubt it?

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
The FAQ here says it had only been confirmed up to 88.5k and I couldn't even find a reference to optical recording past 44.1k on the Rockbox site.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
I thought I read that it can do 20 bit, but not 24 bit.
That's why people have generally just used it for 16 bit, 44.1kHz or 48kHz recording.

That's interesting if it can do higher sample rates that 44.1kHz or 48kHz. I don't know if there's much point in recording 16 bit at higher sample rates then 48kHz anyway ???

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »
A fellow dev confirmed to me that rockbox will record up to 96kHz on the optical input. 16bit only.

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
A fellow dev confirmed to me that rockbox will record up to 96kHz on the optical input. 16bit only.

:thumbsup:
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
if i could make a suggestion, could we possibly have some sort of large indicator (possibly at the bottom of the screen) that shows the iriver is recording.  basically i'd (and i'm sure others out there as well) would like to be able to take just a glance at the screen, see that the large indicator is there to make sure it's recording and continue doing what we're doing.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
if i could make a suggestion, could we possibly have some sort of large indicator (possibly at the bottom of the screen) that shows the iriver is recording.  basically i'd (and i'm sure others out there as well) would like to be able to take just a glance at the screen, see that the large indicator is there to make sure it's recording and continue doing what we're doing.

Yes, I'm aware of the need for this and have been hit myself by it (ie missing part of the show because I thought I was recording)
It is on the to do list.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »
I loaded it onto my h120 and found the gain controls all wacky.  They aren't fluid.  It would jump like 5db up or down, then go in incriments of .5 fluid, then jump like 10db again.

Just tried on my h120 and I can't reproduce this. Are you keeping the joystick left/right or nudging it for each increment?
For some reason the gain doesn't update if you keep it pressed too long - it only updates again when you release. If that is your problem, I'm checking it ;)

Sounds more like what you said, it is doing it but you aren't seeing it do it until you let up on the stick.

This is now fixed in the latest version :D
(that is, the one that will be available in about 5 minutes after this post as the buildservers are still making it, get it while it's fresh)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com