Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SHOCKing a Sabra ST2  (Read 1435 times)

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
SHOCKing a Sabra ST2
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:56:38 PM »
I've been using a Sabra ST-2 bar for my mics for some time now, and I really like it.  What it lacks, however, is a way to shockmount the whole bar (as Schoeps & DPA folks often seem to like doing).  However, I came up with a pretty easy method that seems to work nicely, and gives me a good excuse to finally replace the dead elastic on my Schoeps shock mount.

1 - On the ST-2, remove the thumb screw on the elbow and disassemble it.
2 - With a dremel (high-speed cutting tool), cut off the semi-circle protrusion from the mounting piece.  This will leave a bit that's somewhat microphone shaped... though not exactly round.
3 - Cut a couple slots on the sides of this mounting piece so that it can slide smoothly into your favorite 19-20mm shock mount (ie: Schoeps A20S)

What you end up with is a shocked version of the Sabra ST2 giving lots of flexibility for small microphones in ORTF, DIN and DINA configurations.  For NOS or similarly wide spacing, Sabra makes a wider bar (ST4) which could probably be modified in the same manner.

Incidentally, my initial plan was to use a piece of PVC pipe as a mounting stud, run the ST-2 bar through that, and fill the piece of PVC with 2-part epoxy.  The result would be about the same, but the way I did it gives me a little more flexibility since the mounting stud can be moved from the center to one end for vertical use or whatever else I might need.

Photos of the JARbar to follow tomorrow most likely... though I may photograph it in a mic clip rather than the shock mount because mine is more like a sag mount with these work out elastics.  Gotta hit the store on Monday!  :)

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: SHOCKing a Sabra ST2
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:58:33 PM »
I finally took some photos of my shocked Sabra ST-2...

The first two are the "stock" setup, followed by the modded setup on a Schoeps A20S, and a couple closeups of the piece that I dremelled into a dowel shape.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SHOCKing a Sabra ST2
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
Thanks for the idea. I just put mine together using an 8410 shock. Didn't have to cut a thing on the ST2. So everything stays intact. Seems to work like a champ. First run will be on Sunday.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com