Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB - smallest 24bit recorder with line in....  (Read 7786 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TSKB - smallest 24bit recorder with line in....
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
http://www.4kshooters.net/2014/10/31/tascam-launches-dr-10c-micro-stand-alone-pcm-48khz24-bit-audio-recorder-for-lav-mics/

Interesting - but designed for video with only a 48kHz samling frequency.

I've kept an eye on these recorders.  The super small size, no non-sense recording-only feature-set, and single battery powering is attractive.  And that they only run at a 24bit/48kHz recording rate is fine by me.  It's that they only record one input channel which is the deal killer.  It's unfortunate they don't offer a stereo input version, as these are capable of writing stereo files to the memory card - the second channel being used for recording a lower level "dual recording" safety copy of the mono input.

I'd even wager that whatever DAC on the chip that runs this thing is stereo capable.  It's just the mic powering and input section in front of it is going to we wired for single-channel like a bodypack transmitter.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »
Yes, I imagine so.

BTW, these Tascam DR-10C recorders have not been available for purchase in the US anyway, due to patent infringement allegations by Zaxcom (apparently based upon the suggested use of these with wireless systems).  Tascam does sell the DR-10X variant in the US which uses the identical inner recorder component case and interface, but features a single XLR input designed to be plugged directly into a full-sized XLR terminated body, rather than being intended for use between a lavalier and wireless transmitter.

BTW, we discussed these previously in another thread here at TS maybe a year or so ago, but I can't recall which thread that was.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
Yes, I imagine so.

BTW, these Tascam DR-10C recorders have not been available for purchase in the US anyway, due to patent infringement allegations by Zaxcom (apparently based upon the suggested use of these with wireless systems).  Tascam does sell the DR-10X variant in the US which uses the identical inner recorder component case and interface, but features a single XLR input designed to be plugged directly into a full-sized XLR terminated body, rather than being intended for use between a lavalier and wireless transmitter.

Yes, I remember reading about that in JWSound.

BTW, we discussed these previously in another thread here at TS maybe a year or so ago, but I can't recall which thread that was.

I think I remember floating a crackpot idea where these recorders could be made to supply phantom power, while at the same time having wireless Tx/Rx to create a mesh network for timecode sync while each unit recorded just that mic's channel.  That way you could have large multi-mic arrays on stands far apart (think of an orchestra and choir setup) but no wires.  Pretty silly, but maybe in 50 years something like that would be reliable.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Went with a Tascam DR-22WL
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 02:37:14 AM »
Let us know what you think of the wireless level controls.  Seems interesting...
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
Congrats on the decision, Kevin.

I think I remember floating a crackpot idea where these recorders could be made to supply phantom power, while at the same time having wireless Tx/Rx to create a mesh network for timecode sync while each unit recorded just that mic's channel.  That way you could have large multi-mic arrays on stands far apart (think of an orchestra and choir setup) but no wires.  Pretty silly, but maybe in 50 years something like that would be reliable.

Not silly at all, it's what I've been thinking of as an optimal solution for the past 10+ years.  I imagine it far easier to transmit just time code and control signals rather than audio data - far more robust, way less data, no worries about short-term drop-outs or intermittency.  I think you can do this with the Zaxcom stuff now.  They do wirelessly transmit the audio data as well as sync timecode, but the audio and time data is also stored locally on each device as a safety backup.  So it actually does more than we are talking about.  Not sure if they offer phantom however.  Zaxcom is top-dog costly stuff.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
I've wondered about leveraging other unintended wireless signals for the clock sync'n, without having to broadcast it.  Like cell-phone data communication or whatever.  GPS would certainly work, as it has far greater time-resolution accuracy than required for this, but probably isn't available indoors.  (I'm still a dumb-phone user so pardon my ignorance if this is duh stuff these days). I imagine that how long separate recorders could remain in sync without access to the distributed clock signal would be based upon a trade off between cost and the accuracy of the oscillators used in each recorder.  With accurate enough clocks, one could sync them all before hand before distributing them and they'd stay in sync for the duration of the recording.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Okay, link all individual recording devices beforehand, have each device determine and apply a correction factor so that all clocks are calibrated to the same external standard within a certain degree of accuracy over a given period of time before drift causes them to fall out of tolerance.  You then have a known time-period during which the clocks will remain in close enough sync without communication with each other.  Each recorder stores it's own time-stamped BWAV files locally, so you can start and stop recording on each device at any time within that period, yet all files will remain in sync and fall into the appropriate place when imported into editing software.

No wireless communication required.

If pushing a physical button on each device and staggered start/stop times are a bummer, use some sort of 'wireless' signal for transport control - click the tuned dog-clicker, flash the IR beacon, pull up the smartphone app, key the CB radio transmitter or whatever.. that aspect of the system is no longer required, but simply a convenience.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com