Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what went wrong?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
what went wrong?
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:41:55 AM »
I got back from a concert and my recording came out pretty weird. As you can see from the attachment, at random times one of the channels is completely silent and then at random times both the channels are silent. I don't understand what the issue is, any ideas?

The gear I used was a sony pcm-m10, a church audio ugly battery box and MS-TFB-2-11846 (brand new). I used line-in option. I used the same gear a few weeks back and had no issues but did not use the battery box and instead went mic-in (bad idea as recording was distorted but it was complete with no cuts)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: what went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 02:00:49 AM »
I think you answered your own question???  Battery Box???

Check the batteries...  Always use brand new ones, even if you're sure you only ran the old ones "for just a few minutes"... 

If its more than that, you'll hear it, and you can ask Mr. Church for a repair???

Thoughts...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:20 AM »
I think so as well, the battery is new and no problems with it. I figured out what the issue was, the input slot on the CA Ugly is just a little lose with this microphone. Meaning if i move a little then it comes out but not completely out just a little out that it makes a big difference. It is only on this mic, all my other mics don't have this issue. I guess Ill buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and see if that helps?

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:36 AM »
I think so as well, the battery is new and no problems with it. I figured out what the issue was, the input slot on the CA Ugly is just a little lose with this microphone. Meaning if i move a little then it comes out but not completely out just a little out that it makes a big difference. It is only on this mic, all my other mics don't have this issue. I guess Ill buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and see if that helps?

so it's the mic connection. Not the battery box.
You seem to have answered your own question.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
Why don't get some tape and "fix" the plug to the ugly...I "tape" all my connections to assure they don't slip....

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »

Adapter seems like a good first step — test it out first, jiggling every connection to see if you can make it cut out.

If that doesn't do the trick, either return the mics as defective or apply some duct tape to the connection. Though I'm not sure I'd 100% trust that to hold in a recording situation in the wild — loose connections tend to go bad at the worst possible moments.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com