Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone  (Read 3743 times)

Offline gihl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:08:55 AM »
I am new to audio recording.  ::)
Recently. I sold the Tascam DR-100MKIII recorder and I am interested in Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone.
Is this AT2022 microphone obviously better than the DR-100MKIII's directional stereo microphone?

I usually record the sounds of towns and cities.
It's a very basic question, but I seek your advice.  :)
Thank you for reading.

p.s. Is it useless to record these sounds using a mono microphone like AT4022?
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »
Hi there.
I have no idea what the DR-100MKIII internal mics sound like but, I recently purchased a slightly used AT2022 from a friend on here and am happy with results from the few times I've used it.

Two of the three times I used it as part of a matrix with a soundboard, and I did use it standalone/wide open at a recent outdoor blues festival and they sound pretty good.
The mic can be set at an either 90 or 120 degree pattern, I've only used them in the 90 degree pattern.

That's about all I can mention, for now, hope it helps.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
I usually record the sounds of towns and cities.
Is it useless to record these sounds using a mono microphone like AT4022?

It's a stereo microphone with left and right outputs.  As a coincident stereo arrangement (left and right mic capsules located in the same point in space) it's compact and convenient, yet the resulting recording will sound more focused and somewhat less "open, airy and 3-dimensional" than a microphone arrangement with some space between the capsules.  For general ambience recording, the more open 120 degree setting will usually be most appropriate.  If your recording is intended to focus on one particular sound or source within a sound environment rather than convey a general sense of "you are there" in that environment, then the more monophonic-leaning 90 degree setting may be appropriate.

billydee- Try the 120 degree setting, I suspect you'll prefer that, especially when mixing with a SBD feed which is primarily monophonic.  I'd save the 90 degree setting for mixing with something that was very open and wide, such as a pair spaced omnis, which is more likely to benefit from the more narrow and focused 90 degree setting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
billydee- Try the 120 degree setting, I suspect you'll prefer that, especially when mixing with a SBD feed which is primarily monophonic.  I'd save the 90 degree setting for mixing with something that was very open and wide, such as a pair spaced omnis, which is more likely to benefit from the more narrow and focused 90 degree setting.
I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack.

Thanks for that suggestion Gutbucket. I was considering trying the 120 degree setting eventually when I was in a "closer to the source" situation. I used it this past Friday as part of a "monophonic sbd"/AT2022 matrix and used the 90 degree setting at about 35 feet away from the PA. The recording sounds good but there's barely any separation in the sound. Next time I'll go with the 120.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Cool.  The 120 degree setting will create more stereo interest and width and I suspect will end up being your go-to pattern on that mic for music recording, especially if you have SBD to combine it with.  90 degree will emphasize the center strongly with a lot less stereo width.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:49 AM »
Thank you all.  :)
The detailed explanation and experience helped me greatly.
Thanks again.

p.s. If I buy AT2022, I will use this cable.
-- https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-XLRF3-XLRM3-2
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
---------------
Audio-Technica AT2022: 2.56" (65.0mm) Head Diameter
Rycote 21mm BBG Windshield: ~~ Please note the maximum diameter of the head is 80 mm.
---------------

p.s.2. Oh. If I buy an AT2022, I am going to use a 21mm BBG Windshield instead of a general Windshield.
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
While the AT2022 is certainly a capable microphone, I think, in the long run, you'd be better served by purchasing two independent microphones, so that you can vary both the spacing and the angle of the microphones. 90 and 120 degrees x/y might be great for many situations, but more flexibility should really help.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
Once again thank you for your valuable advice.  :)

Anyway, I bought AT2022, InVision INV-HG mkIII, BBG Windshield and Rycote Windjammer for BBG Windshield from B&H.
Thank you for your interest and advice.  ;)
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com