Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone Use Izotope Ozone?  (Read 9929 times)

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone Use Izotope Ozone?
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
Recommended to me by a friend in the industry.

I watched this youtube and it seems fairly confusing but he told me he would show me how to work it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkSbZXU77q0
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Anyone Use Izotope Ozone?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
I use ozone 3.....it is very easy to use.  Not much changed with ozone 4. Trust me it is worth every penny.  Ozone 5 just came out.  I understand they made improvements in a lot of their algorithms.. the user interface is also upgraded with a little more felxibilty...  Again very easy to use.  I am not a trained master mixer but learned a lot be just taking a wave and going trough to see what each plugin does...just play with it, the learning curve is very easy and again worth every penny...  You will be surprised how you can take a mediocre recording and turn it into something special.     

peace ook
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
I used Ozone 5 Advanced for the demo period of 10 days, real nice but way too expensive.  Most of the videos and reviews of Ozone 5 are only for the advanced version.

At some point I'll have to give the standard version of Ozone 5 a try and will probably purchase a license if it is as impressive as the advanced version.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:48:14 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
well I 'found' a copy of 5 that I'm going to try out.  I've got a bunch of studying to get done this week so I won't be able to mess with it until the weekend.

what do you guys use it with?

I'm hoping it's not too hard to use but again my buddy said he would show me how.  The whole conversation started bc I taped his band and told him not to bust my balls about the mastering I did to it.  I think it came out well for the amount of time I spent on it and the equipment/software I have.  He is letting me borrow some 184's for their show friday, so I've got that going for me.

http://www.archive.org/details/fb2012-03-08.AKG461-SBD-Matrix-16bit

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:14:53 PM by crossthreaded »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

I use mine with SoundForge 10 pro....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

x2
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
that is what I was afraid of.

just when I was finding my way around audacity I'll need to figure another one out.  The reviews I read about using it with audacity are not very good.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
I used it with Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering.

IDK, does Audacity support real time VST or AU plug-ins?  If so it should work for you.

Here is a recent thread about workflow using Ozone with Audacity.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=154093.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:10:56 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
I use Ozone 4 with Wavelab, love it.

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
I saw that thread but didn't pay it much mind until I could get ozone up and running so I could see what they were talking about.

I just saw some quick reviews and they said audacity wasn't the best option.  If I can find a copy of soundforge I will go that direction, I already have a copy of wavelab so that will be my second option.

Would just like to step up my mastering game as I feel like I'm leaving something to be desired with my current use of audacity.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
it blows with Audacity cause of the preview method that Audacity uses. I lived with that for a while and finally switched to Reaper and use Audacity just for tracking anymore.

That said, I dropped the coin for v5 a couple of days afterward. Already had v4 and used it a lot.

I'm hoping it's not too hard to use but again my buddy said he would show me how.

I don't think it's hard to use. it's hard(er) to use well. Get a bunch of headphones, speakers, etc and listen to your adjustments and see how the different systems reveal stuff. Like most adjustments to a final 2ch bus mix; less is better.

It's wicked powerful, and can be really handy. I'm not sure I've touched a project without Ozone in the last year or so.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
it blows with Audacity cause of the preview method that Audacity uses. I lived with that for a while and finally switched to Reaper and use Audacity just for tracking anymore.

That said, I dropped the coin for v5 a couple of days afterward. Already had v4 and used it a lot.

I'm hoping it's not too hard to use but again my buddy said he would show me how.

I don't think it's hard to use. it's hard(er) to use well. Get a bunch of headphones, speakers, etc and listen to your adjustments and see how the different systems reveal stuff. Like most adjustments to a final 2ch bus mix; less is better.

It's wicked powerful, and can be really handy. I'm not sure I've touched a project without Ozone in the last year or so.

Pssst.... Your Mass is showing.  ;)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Try reaper, you can try it for free. I use it to record and as part of my home daw.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
the resample and dither functions come with wave editor, as well.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
We use an older version of iZotope RX at work for noise reduction. I've had great success using it to remove clicks, hum, hiss, and other broadband noise from audio files. It does have a learning curve though. It is easy to over do it, if you are not careful.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
thanks for the tips, hopefully I'll get to mess with it this weekend

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »

^
Same here!

;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:43:42 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
I grabbed it on Page's and hi and lo's recommendations and love it.  I run it with Audition.   Have tried it with Audacity, but as noted, it's painful.

You do have to be careful about overdoing it with Ozone.  There is a lot of really cool stuff you can do with it, but you can easily overdo it if you're not careful. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
All of the Izotope products are top notch and well worth the money.  Their Alloy is getting great reviews too.

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:27 PM »
spent some time in the studio with my friend today playing with it and I liked it. 

Came home to mess with it in audacity and I can't even get teh damn program open.

I see it loading the drivers when audacity starts, I've got the vst plugin tool added, and ozone is in the driver folder, is there something else I'm missing?

here is a shot of the studio I was in. I think I was salivating at all the cool toys.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:52:45 PM by crossthreaded »

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:21:22 AM »
I started with Ozone 4 about a year and a half ago and upgraded to 5 (while the intro offer was still going). I think 5 sounds and functions better.

That said, I haven't had a ton of plugins aside from the ones that came with my Metric Halo +DSP license and Reaper. Outside of that, I've maybe demoed or bought 10-20 plugs so I don't really feel like I'm qualified to say, "This is killer" or "This sucks".
Personally, I feel like it's an excellent learning tool. It has just about anything you could ask for in a single plug-in but that's a double edged sword. You can go crazy and mess stuff up beyond belief (but IMHO, that's something that everybody has to do for a while). And while it's a little better now, it can be a CPU hog. If you have an old computer, and your host DAW isn't light in it's requirements, you might be better off with individual plugs.

I'm hoping to learn enough to "outgrow" some of the modules in Ozone eventually,.. but I could see using it for quite a while.

kirk97132

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:35 AM »
spent some time in the studio with my friend today playing with it and I liked it. 

Came home to mess with it in audacity and I can't even get teh damn program open.

I see it loading the drivers when audacity starts, I've got the vst plugin tool added, and ozone is in the driver folder, is there something else I'm missing?

here is a shot of the studio I was in. I think I was salivating at all the cool toys.

I can only guess it's audicity?  But should ozone be loaded into the VST folder, like any other VST app?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »

I can only guess it's audicity?  But should ozone be loaded into the VST folder, like any other VST app?

I think it's an issue wtih the VST bridge tool for Audacity. The plugins are supposed to be stored in the normal system VST folder like any other, but there is something squirley with the bridge connector that I had trouble with the first couple of times.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
Darn, unless I'm missing something it appears on page 64 of http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/iZOzone5_en.pdf that standard version of ozone 5 does not offer stereo linking of its limiter.  Does anyone using the standard version know for sure whether or not its limiter can be stereo linked?

If it can't then what were they thinking because that's a fundamental requirement for a mastering limiter.  I understand iZotope wants people to spend the extra bucks on their advanced version which has it but that would be an unacceptable omission.  Don't know if ozone 4 had a stereo linking master limiter but that version is not available anymore anyway.  After trying the advanced version I had high hopes for the standard version but without this feature it just won't do.

If it indeed doesn't offer stereo linking then it's time to start looking harder and demoing the competing products by; IK multimedia, Fabfilter, Slate Digital and Brainworx because the advanced version of ozone 5 and waves mastering bundles are more that I'm willing to spend.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
Darn, unless I'm missing something it appears on page 64 of http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/iZOzone5_en.pdf that standard version of ozone 5 does not offer stereo linking of its limiter.  Does anyone using the standard version know for sure whether or not its limiter can be stereo linked?

It can be in both standard and advanced. They made that change after printing the manual. There is a post on GS about it somewhere.

It can be ran as linked (so pre-ozone5 mode), fully independent, or any degree of linked/independent in percentage form. They've also added (after 5.03 I think) the ability to tune the Intel3 mode in terms of aggressiveness (normal, crisp, clipping, etc).

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
I think the info regarding the standard Ozone 5 upgrades were in the original "Ozone 5 Released" GS thread. It was a nice to see iZotope respond to the needs (and rants) of their customers.

Even though this thread has gotten a little off subject, I've found it very instructive,.. thanks guys!

To add something other than another "me too" post, here's a link to a couple of Sound on Sound articles on "Advanced Compression Techniques" which cover most all the subjects in page and gutbucket's posts.

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?Keyword=advanced+compression+techniques

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
....here's a link to a couple of Sound on Sound articles on "Advanced Compression Techniques" which cover most all the subjects in page and gutbucket's posts.

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?Keyword=advanced+compression+techniques

Thanks ironbut..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »

It can be in both standard and advanced. They made that change after printing the manual. There is a post on GS about it somewhere.

It can be ran as linked (so pre-ozone5 mode), fully independent, or any degree of linked/independent in percentage form. They've also added (after 5.03 I think) the ability to tune the Intel3 mode in terms of aggressiveness (normal, crisp, clipping, etc).

Thanks Page, I had e-mailed iZotope Support at the time of my last post and they responded today with the same answer.  They stated Ozone 5 Standard offers stereo linking of the limiter as of version 5.01 and that the help document has a typo.   :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com