Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic SV-3800 pauses when it detects START IDs  (Read 1224 times)

Offline rockcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Panasonic SV-3800 pauses when it detects START IDs
« on: October 15, 2023, 08:11:01 PM »
Hi. I have a Panasonic SV-3800 Pro DAT Recorder that I bought on eBay in used, but pristine condition with very few hours on the tape heads.

I'm finally getting around to transferring many of my DATs to my PC, but every time the SV-3800 detects a START ID, it pauses. Obviously, this is not ideal for transferring DATs to the PC.

I'm assuming I have something set incorrectly, but I'm not intimately familiar with this deck and I can't figure out how to prevent it from pausing. I could erase all of the START IDs, but that's too cumbersome a process. I'd rather just figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
rockcat
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 10:16:57 PM by rockcat »

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Panasonic SV-3800 pauses when it detects START IDs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 05:27:41 PM »
Do you have the owner's manual that describes menu information  and functions?
Melanie and Bob

Offline rockcat

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 02:24:20 AM »
Yes, I have the Owner's Manual. It discusses SKIP IDs and END IDs, but nothing about this particular issue regarding START IDs (at least not that I can find). That's why I'm asking in this forum. I know there are other members who own this same DAT machine.  Surely someone is familiar with this issue.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 12:06:14 PM »
This sounds like your unit is in Single Play Mode. You have to go into the hidden "System Display Mode" to change this, and while you are there, you can double check several other settings.

This is all shown on pages 28-29 (as printed on the manual) of my manual PDF from HiFi Engine.

Offline rockcat

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 02:36:54 PM »
This sounds like your unit is in Single Play Mode. You have to go into the hidden "System Display Mode" to change this, and while you are there, you can double check several other settings.

This is all shown on pages 28-29 (as printed on the manual) of my manual PDF from HiFi Engine.

Bingo! That was it! Thank you GLouie, you were exactly correct...the problem was my machine was set to Single Play Mode. I turned that feature (nuisance) off and my tapes now play continuously. I also adjusted a few other settings in the System Menu, so "thank you" for that too.

I knew somebody would come through with the answer, and I am most appreciative.

Thank you again. You've just made several people very happy!   :coolguy:

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 11:35:43 PM »
Glad that was it.
That's one of the more useless features to most people. I mostly need the hidden menu to check error rates and sometimes which I/O is to be used.

I recommend having some DDS cleaning tapes on hand, unless you like to remove the loading mechanism to clean the head.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com