Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity - New Time Stretching Abilities, etc  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Audacity - New Time Stretching Abilities, etc
« on: November 18, 2023, 10:59:32 AM »
Audacity has upped its game
The new version has a few very useful features.
  "Good and free"
Not heard spoken together very often...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Audacity - New Time Stretching Abilities, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »

I call bullshit, watch their video

Tempo and beats mean nothing to us tapers, time stretch is not fine enough for our use

They deprecated the "Change Speed" again.....seriously doubt if it will take a 16-place decimal factor

Everything is bullshit, as Willie and Micah fortold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7DAdocNOg

:banging head:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 06:59:43 AM »
What do you mean they "deprecated" it?
Do you actually think the program has gotten worse?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
If you look around here in these pages, us tapers have proven that something mysterious happened after v2.1.0 that truncated your fine 16-place decimal factor down to only about 4 places in the "Change Speed" function.

Don't know why they broke something that worked.

Has it been fixed, some report yes, I don't know and don't want to try

Their newest example looks depricated to the astute observer...

Here's v2.1.0 for comparison

Anybody want to test?

I got stuff to mix.. ;D

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 02:00:11 PM »
Wait, it was always there?

I'm writing the Audacity developer team and Time Team, dagnabbit !

It's a hokey BBC TV archeology show that the GF (archeology maj.) likes

OK,ok - silliness aside
Does this still work?
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sync_locked_track_groups_time_stretching.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 02:04:42 PM by A.I. Clone Cheesy »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline blakenan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 10:50:12 AM »
I'm on a Mac, trying to use Audacity to mix a SBD and Aud source recorded on different decks.  As expected there is a small amount of drift over the course of a 2 hour show.  I'm trying to stretch the shorter source by a factor of 1.000022759 (drift was about 150ms over 2 hrs).  As suggested above, the current version of Audacity (v3.4.2) limits precision to 3 digits to the right of the decimal when specifying the "Speed Multiplier" in the "Change Speed and Pitch" options.  I tried running v2.1.0 but, as expected, it is not compatible with the latest MacOS. 

Any suggestions on other ways to stretch/mix these sources?  I've been out of the multi-source game for a long time...

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 12:19:10 PM »
My apologies for the lack of precision in my posting ...

Definitely email the developer's buglist
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »

Any suggestions on other ways to stretch/mix these sources?  I've been out of the multi-source game for a long time...

I use Sound Studio for this, but it costs money (I think around $30?).

EDIT: Actually $50 now, ugh. Its time stretching goes to lots of decimal places, though, and it has some other nice features.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sound-studio/id405537804?mt=12
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:10:30 PM by nulldogmas »

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 01:24:31 PM »

Stretch Markers in Reaper.  More specifically, Magnetic Stretch Markers.  The relevant part comes at around 1:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKBp1b8n6o
(when I saw those wavs moving around together my jaw dropped)

I did a little more digging and found this trick, to create Transient Guides automatically https://youtu.be/GRO-ecLZqmw?t=448.

I used the transient guides to automatically locate the identical transients between the waveforms and used Magnetic Stretch Markers to line them up (snap and grid disabled) at the beginning and the end of the show.   Once those were synced up perfectly, I just started scrubbing through the files looking for stuff that seemed out of alignment.  I'd zoom in, look for a pair of transient guides that seemed to match up, click them to automatically create stretch markers, and I'd line them up using the Magnetic trick (zoomed all the way in to the level of plotted samples) and try again.   As long as I left the playhead within the stretch-markered region I was working on, every additional sync point would add additional clarity and phase alignment on playback.  If I added a new sync point and playback got wonky, I'd delete that set of markers and dive back into the transient guides, looking for a better match nearby.  Then I just cleared the Transient Guides when I was done to leave it with a cleaner look.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:27:57 PM by boomfizzle »
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline blakenan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 04:23:42 PM »
All...  Thanks for the help.  I think I may have found a way to use Audacity.  Seems like this post in the Audacity forums might be a work around: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/more-precise-speed-change-solved/65245/5.  I'll try and report back over the weekend.

Offline blakenan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 12:00:56 PM »
The approach cited in the post linked above works.  So, while Audacity "speed multiplier" precision on the "Change Speed" dialog is not very precise anymore (just 3 digits), you can make much more precise duration adjustments by changing by changing the units in the "Selection Length" section.  I used "Samples" to stretch a two hour section by just 7300 samples (about 0.25 seconds) by just adding 7300 to the current length with specifying the "new length".  Two sources are aligned within a few samples through out the two hour show.   

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 03:26:10 PM »
Audacity 2.4.2 has the ability to do precise speed change down to the sample, using the Speed Change plugin. I use it regularly.

https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html

Remember, versions of audacity 3.0 and after have some function where they contact an external server for some reason.

edit: I see where the problem is, ya got to set the NEW LENGTH mode to SAMPLES using that little downward pointing triangle where audacity loves to hide its super important features in a very much non-mac-like interface
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:30:11 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 03:48:37 PM »
good find

Audacity 2.4.2 has the ability to do precise speed change down to the sample, using the Speed Change plugin. I use it regularly.

https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html

Remember, versions of audacity 3.0 and after have some function where they contact an external server for some reason.

edit: I see where the problem is, ya got to set the NEW LENGTH mode to SAMPLES using that little downward pointing triangle where audacity loves to hide its super important features in a very much non-mac-like interface

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 03:48:58 PM »
Thanks morst  :coolguy:

I don't do the sample method

I calculate percent change and enter a long decimal in the box, and found that the next version above V2.1.0 truncated and rounded my 16 digits to about 4 places

Can anyone test Audacity 2.4.2 (or other versions above V2.1.0) with the time method, instead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com