Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103192 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »

The 302 is not needed unless you need to crank the gain from your shotgun mic really high.  The 70D preamps are just fine for this kind of work

So to sum up: While the 302 preamps are a bit better quality, you'll never hear it because of what you're recording.

Totally disagree. If you are making a feature film and, presumably getting paid for it, use the de facto industry standard which is Sound Devices. Sound Devices preamps are designed and built for this type of work. Best tool for the job.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

The 302 is not needed unless you need to crank the gain from your shotgun mic really high.  The 70D preamps are just fine for this kind of work

So to sum up: While the 302 preamps are a bit better quality, you'll never hear it because of what you're recording.

Totally disagree. If you are making a feature film and, presumably getting paid for it, use the de facto industry standard which is Sound Devices. Sound Devices preamps are designed and built for this type of work. Best tool for the job.

I agree! If I were doing voice/film work[especially getting PAID to do it], Id probably want quieter preamps than the 70D has! For louder concert taping, it's a different story! I think the 70D preamps are fine for concert taping, however, Id be a lil nervous relying on the 70D pres for doing quiet voice work. I ran mk4/41>PFA[+48v]>70D recording birds/nature awhile back[I posted samples on ts.com], and I could still hear a good bit of noise even in LOW gain mode! Maybe it was the PFA and not the 70D? Not 100% sure since I don't typically record such quiet stuff, but it was more noise than would be acceptable on a film IMO! But like Goodcooker said, the SD pres are really quiet, and used on MANY films in existence already, so Id go with the SD since its already a proven/quiet portable preamp! As always, YMMV ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »

I don't doubt that professionals use the equipment that is marketed to them, but are they correct to do so?

We tapers have long been pioneers in finding inexpensive solutions to professional problems.

Many tapers actively dislike like the sound of SD preamps, others swear by them; the preamps on the "toy" d70d have earned acclaim, especially for the price.

The specs are plenty good for "what we do," (Rode NTG3 Signal-to-Noise Ratio= 81 dB,
Tascam dr70d Signal-to-Noise Ratio= 92 dB).

For me, I'd much rather spend that money on a better transducer. You could buy a used mk41, an nbob and a pfa for about what you spend on a 302. (and would be *tiny* for film work.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:06:19 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2016, 09:37:43 AM »
Isn't the most important "PRO" feature for film - timecode?

Sounds like, at minimum, he should using the new ZOOM F4...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »
There are several considerations at play.  Budget is one.  Quiet preamps another.  Not having zipper noise on the gain pots is another.   Powering requirements. 

I'm guessing it was maybe 1 1/2 years ago that the least expensive timecode recorder available was the Roland R-88 around $1,900.   Now we have the F8 at $1,000 and the DR701D at $700?  F4 is coming at $649. 

Then you have to look at how well any of them sync to the camera equipment, how that is implemented (bnc, hdmi, etc)  and what the cameras cost. 

I think the most interesting competition will be to see how the 701d fares against the F4 for folks doing small video production.  I also think the multimillion dollar production folks are going to stick with what they know works....for the time being. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »
There are several considerations at play.  Budget is one.  Quiet preamps another.  Not having zipper noise on the gain pots is another.   Powering requirements. 

I'm guessing it was maybe 1 1/2 years ago that the least expensive timecode recorder available was the Roland R-88 around $1,900.   Now we have the F8 at $1,000 and the DR701D at $700?  F4 is coming at $649. 

Then you have to look at how well any of them sync to the camera equipment, how that is implemented (bnc, hdmi, etc)  and what the cameras cost. 

I think the most interesting competition will be to see how the 701d fares against the F4 for folks doing small video production.  I also think the multimillion dollar production folks are going to stick with what they know works....for the time being.

I wouldn't include the 701D with the others you're listing, as its timecode is input-only.  The F4 and F8 have timecode functions like the real pro-level stuff.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #276 on: September 12, 2016, 06:30:42 PM »

Well if you're making the reliability argument, then the 70D should be eliminated as well and a SD recorder or equivalent should replace the whole kit.  If something is going to fail it's most likely going to be the recorder itself, so if this is paid work where you want the highest reliability, don't buy a 302 - just rent or buy a 7-series recorder.  Putting the 302 in front of the 70D in no way increases the reliability of your project.

Again, I own a SD preamp, and in my experience that there is no audible benefit to inserting it ahead of the 70D unless it's a quiet concert recording where you need to really crank the gain.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
Here it is! 

got any pics of that right angle kcy?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
^that's a slick cable!!  darktrain??
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
Yep it was made by Darktrain!!  I always leave it in the VMS to make it easy to connect and disconnect my KCY 250/5 Ig cable. 

^that's a slick cable!!  darktrain??
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »
Very nice JBell 8) Thanks for the pic! I'll take ALL of the gear pr0n that I can get ;D

After seeing your nice/neat cable, it really motivates me to get my KCY cables fixed/modded asap ;D My 711 Binder at my VMS is all FUBAR'D and has to be held in place with velcro and nylon zip ties :P
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:58:23 PM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, but I've got a quick question/observation/concern. I've recorded a few shows the past week and I'm trying to figure out if the low levels are a result of low batteries or something that's to be expected. I'm running Nak CM-100s/300s with CP-1 and CP-2 caps. Both are run via XLRs into the DR70d, one set of XLRs goes into the 3-4 inputs and the other terminates to a miniplug into the 1-2 ext in. The Naks are powered by 12V alkaline batteries. I've got an older set of batteries and a newer one, which I'm going to test soon to see if they happen to be low.

Here's what happened... I recorded several sets of different types of music and the pairs with both the older batteries AND the GAKables XLR > miniplug ran way lower than the pairs with the XLR > XLR pair of cables. This occured with both the card and omni caps, as I swapped them from one show to another. I even ran the pair with older batteries and the XLR > mini on high gain one time and it still was way lower than the other pair. At first I assumed it was that the omni caps were less sensitive but now I'm worried I've let the batteries get too low. Any input here is appreciated...

That said, I have something positive to report! I happened to run a matrix at the Agent Orange/Counterpunch show this week where I ran the mono SBD > ext input 1-2. I accidentally ran it as mic in, and while the levels clipped on the drum hits, the sound actually came out OK! I thought that would be near impossible. So it's good to know the recorder can handle a hot signal, even on the mic setting.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, but I've got a quick question/observation/concern. I've recorded a few shows the past week and I'm trying to figure out if the low levels are a result of low batteries or something that's to be expected. I'm running Nak CM-100s/300s with CP-1 and CP-2 caps. Both are run via XLRs into the DR70d, one set of XLRs goes into the 3-4 inputs and the other terminates to a miniplug into the 1-2 ext in. The Naks are powered by 12V alkaline batteries. I've got an older set of batteries and a newer one, which I'm going to test soon to see if they happen to be low.

Here's what happened... I recorded several sets of different types of music and the pairs with both the older batteries AND the GAKables XLR > miniplug ran way lower than the pairs with the XLR > XLR pair of cables. This occured with both the card and omni caps, as I swapped them from one show to another. I even ran the pair with older batteries and the XLR > mini on high gain one time and it still was way lower than the other pair. At first I assumed it was that the omni caps were less sensitive but now I'm worried I've let the batteries get too low. Any input here is appreciated...

That said, I have something positive to report! I happened to run a matrix at the Agent Orange/Counterpunch show this week where I ran the mono SBD > ext input 1-2. I accidentally ran it as mic in, and while the levels clipped on the drum hits, the sound actually came out OK! I thought that would be near impossible. So it's good to know the recorder can handle a hot signal, even on the mic setting.

Whats your settings on the DR-70D?

I find I have to use the MID input level setting for these mics - unless Im close and the show is loud.

At my theatre - recording the country band from 30 feet - I use MID

Of course verify that you have the mic's pad OFF. ( the little switch down in the barrel under the cap)

But for sure - low batteries will create low output - I just had this happen yesterday - was getting next to nothing out my TEACs...even on mid, tapping the mic - just about nothing.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
^ This occured on all settings. I typically use the MID level for everything. I even had it on HIGH for the country show yesterday and levels were lower than the other pair of mics on MID. I'll be testing the batteries today and report back. I guess I was hoping that the ext in miniplug on the DR70D would create an inherently weaker signal.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
^ This occured on all settings. I typically use the MID level for everything. I even had it on HIGH for the country show yesterday and levels were lower than the other pair of mics on MID. I'll be testing the batteries today and report back. I guess I was hoping that the ext in miniplug on the DR70D would create an inherently weaker signal.

You will see 6dB lower level when you unbalance the signal in the mini plug cable.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com