Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me select a dynamic microphone  (Read 9491 times)

Offline mitchellm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Help me select a dynamic microphone
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »
Amir,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I've ended up using the the SM7B instead of the RE20. At least for my voice I prefer the sound. But for interviews/conversations done at my office the RE20 is the "other" mic and does a great job! I can easily imagine how the RE20 would be a better fit for many voices.

I also have an old Sennheiser MD46. But I have to confess I don't really like the sound. Not bad at all, but a far cry (for me) from the SM7B and RE20.

What I wouldn't want to do is buy the M88 if it's not noticeably better than the MD46. I'm not expecting RE20 levels per se, but still something better than the MD46. I'd rather spend the extra money for the right "portable"mic. What's your take on the M88 compared to the MD46?

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
Amir,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I've ended up using the the SM7B instead of the RE20. At least for my voice I prefer the sound. But for interviews/conversations done at my office the RE20 is the "other" mic and does a great job! I can easily imagine how the RE20 would be a better fit for many voices.

I also have an old Sennheiser MD46. But I have to confess I don't really like the sound. Not bad at all, but a far cry (for me) from the SM7B and RE20.

What I wouldn't want to do is buy the M88 if it's not noticeably better than the MD46. I'm not expecting RE20 levels per se, but still something better than the MD46. I'd rather spend the extra money for the right "portable"mic. What's your take on the M88 compared to the MD46?
Mitchellm,

Rest assured the M88 is head and shoulders above the MD46. Its audio is warmer and has more body to it compared with the MD46. Of course, the MD46 is one of the best sub-$200 hand-helds out there that can match more expensive studio-grade mics -- especially for reporters, but the M88 is definitely a studio-grade mic with its balanced frequency response. I actually prefer it to Shure SM7B, but it's up to you to decide that. What I can claim is that you'll mostly like the M88's overall performance -- something Beyerdynamic fans and users can attest.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
Amir,

Got it! Thanks once again. When done with my current travels I'll make sure to pick up an M88.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
Amir,

Got it! Thanks once again. When done with my current travels I'll make sure to pick up an M88.
You're welcome. I'd be glad to know your take on the M88 whenever you get the mic.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »
Amir,

Will try to remember to post re: M88 sometime in mid-July! Best.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »
If you're looking for an interview mic, the Senn MD46 is what you will want.

Usually reading reviews will help you determine what field mic is for what:

MD46: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/223940-REG/Sennheiser_MD46_MD46_Dynamic_ENG.html
M88: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92702-REG/Beyerdynamic_437115_M_88_TG_Microphone.html
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »

Usually reading reviews will help you determine what field mic is for what: ...
That's very true. However, the problem is that the line is a little blurred in my case. I want an interview mic, but I also want something which can work as a studio mic replacement when I'm out in the field or somewhere with my USBPre2/PCM-D100, want to produce a high-quality monolog or piece and, as such, don't have access to my go-to studio mic -- Beyerdynamic M99. Perhaps the MD46 is a better compromise as I'm not sure if the M88 can be used satisfactorily in interview settings.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »

Usually reading reviews will help you determine what field mic is for what: ...
That's very true. However, the problem is that the line is a little blurred in my case. I want an interview mic, but I also want something which can work as a studio mic replacement when I'm out in the field or somewhere with my USBPre2/PCM-D100, want to produce a high-quality monolog or piece and, as such, don't have access to my go-to studio mic -- Beyerdynamic M99. Perhaps the MD46 is a better compromise as I'm not sure if the M88 can be used satisfactorily in interview settings.

As mentioned by John, the M88 is hypercard.

Just because a mic can record sounds doesn't mean it's the best for your situation, that's why many of us have more than one kind mic.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:06 AM »
Just because a mic can record sounds doesn't mean it's the best for your situation, that's why many of us have more than one kind mic.
Again very true -- though quite obvious. That's why such a topic exists in the first place.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com