Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis  (Read 19084 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Split Omnis
« on: May 06, 2004, 02:09:59 PM »
Going to be buying some omni caps for my ATs soon.  I have NO experience with omni and want some ideas/pointers.  How much of a spread is needed?  Want to try and run split omnis @ the Gorge for the Dead/ABB.  2' enough?  The further the better?

-Kevin

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 02:14:10 PM »
theoretically not much more than a 6' split is necessary.  after that a noticeable cone filter becomes present in the recording. all theoretical though, but some people like the sound it produces. i've heard many a good recordings with omnis spaced more than 6 feet.

2' would be fine.  the wider you space the bigger the soundstage.  

paging m0k3 for J-Disc! ;D

Brian

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 02:14:14 PM »
I would start with 3' in less than optimum circumstances. I wouldn't go much wider than 10' or so... maybe 6-8' outdoors at a place like the Gorge.

It's not "the wider the better", you can definitely go too wide. Look at the PA and see how wide it goes and the further back from the PA the wider you can go.

just rules of thumb...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 02:18:11 PM »
tim always posts at the same time i do ;D

the other thing that you have to take into consideration is all the phase issues with split omnis. it would be hard to draw it out using ascii but there are several phase issues that can occur resulting in that cone filter i mentioned above.

Brian

Offline blu666z

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 02:23:15 PM »
How are the tapers at Dead shows?  Cool enough to let me throw a small mic on their stand?  Orientation on omnis make no difference right?

-Kevin

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 02:29:40 PM »
Omni's are directional at high frequencies so technically you should point the mics at the PA...

Honestly, the few times I've ever had problems with other tapers at shows are at Dead related events. As a group, and I know I shouldn't generalize, they can be real assholes. That said I doubt you'll have an issue clamping such small mics.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 02:35:15 PM »
i felt the same vibe at the dead show in st. louis last year. i made a post about in another thread a couple of weeks ago.

one person wanted to run split omnis and the only person in hte section who would let them clamp was joe shambro.  i would have but i got there late and was shoved off to the corner (which happened to be DFC those fockers.....my tape smokes ;D ). anyway after it got dark they kept flashing their damn flashlights around and pointing them into the faces of tapers who were trying to make it through the section to either get to their gear or leave to get a drink or take a piss.   wanted to smack those douches so bad!

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 02:38:05 PM »
watch out at the gorge w/omnis though.
for phish, the ts is off center.  if you are able to go to each side of foh or center FOB, you should be fine, but otherwise omni's may be tricky due to the heavy weight of the one PA stack on one side.  
If the sound source isnt centered very well with omnis, it could be tricky.  3' spread should work well.  
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »
I've split omnis as little as 27" and had good results. As pointed out, omni's are directional at higher frequencies. If you do go with a small spread, angle the microphones to the outside of the PA stacks. This will help make the image wider. Good luck.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline blu666z

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 03:01:39 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  Maybe I'll just build me a bar so I don't have to hassle anybody.

-Kevin

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »
How are the tapers at Dead shows?  Cool enough to let me throw a small mic on their stand?  Orientation on omnis make no difference right?

-Kevin

What, my stand isn't good enough for you? ;D
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline blu666z

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 06:43:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with your stand, but to get them any distance apart I would have to have one on another stand.  Think I'm just gonna build a bar myself though with some alligator clips on the ends or something then clamp that to your stand....are we actually in the section?

-Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 06:50:24 PM »
Two words:  Jecklin disc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline blu666z

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »
Two more:  Too lazy.

-Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 06:56:08 PM »
Alright, Mr. Lazy-pants, two more, then:  nerf ball.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com