Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis  (Read 19081 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2004, 03:44:53 PM »
....or you can split 'em a foot at times, with great results. Eric Swanson's 03 McPanic tapes, adk a51 tl(omni)>v2>1k are excellent. front or second row ts, can't recall.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2004, 04:05:49 PM »
since this seems like hte official split omnis thread....

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18841

can't wait to keep trying these type of things out. as moke has discussed many times before, he really feels that the j-disc would really help with cutting down on the boom that most of us seem to despise.  

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2004, 05:42:50 PM »
What would happen with a wide split pointing each omni at the opposite stack kinda crisscrossed?  Then criss cross the cables where the left mic would be the right channel and the right mic would be the left channel?  Would the cone effect go away and allow a wide split?
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline Brian

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2004, 06:26:46 PM »
if anything, at least in my mind, this would make the phase cancellation issues a lot worse, especially in the high frequencies since omnis are more directional at the high frequencies. it's hard to explain without drawing it out and i suck at ascii art.  

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2004, 03:14:30 PM »
All this talk of Split Omnis and I haven't responded yet, what the hell is wrong with me? ;-)

I've been using a 1 meter piece of wood that I custom made for about 18 months now. I use a simple C-Clamp and a custom piece of wood to hold it onto the microphone stand. Works great and I only need 1 stand to do this. I usually run 3 or 4 mics with a 4 channel mixer (Wendt X4).

For those who are lazy and don't want to make their own 1 meter spreader, you can buy one from Wes Dooley (AEA). You can see them and then faint at the cost here:

http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/Microphone_Array_Positioners.html

For those who want to sample a nice four mic / 2 channel recording, go to Archive.org and look at the Big Head Todd show I did at Austin Music Hall.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2004, 04:37:51 AM »
Here's one way to split them/how I do it:

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
Yea, the 3/8 inch hex bar, with sabra mounts is def. the easiest. I bought 2 12 foot lengths of hex bar and cut many diff. sizes from it, for myself and others. I use a 39 inch for omnis. Very cost effective, although finding the hex bar is not easy. I bought it from a local steel supplier. After cutting to length and finishing the ends, some polishing needs to be done.

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2004, 01:49:23 PM »
Yea, the 3/8 inch hex bar, with sabra mounts is def. the easiest. I bought 2 12 foot lengths of hex bar and cut many diff. sizes from it, for myself and others. I use a 39 inch for omnis. Very cost effective, although finding the hex bar is not easy. I bought it from a local steel supplier. After cutting to length and finishing the ends, some polishing needs to be done.

You found a lengthy hex bar? What you see in my pic is a circular bar I picked up at home depot. I'd love to replace it with a long hex bar, though.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2004, 02:42:56 PM »
I thought that was a hex bar.  I might have some pieces laying around. Let me know if you'd like one. I think 39 inches was the same length as that real expensive Schoeps bar, which is why I cut mine to 39 in.(1000 mm). Made my own kwon type bars, for NOS and DIN.
TS

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: Split Omnis
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2004, 06:43:41 PM »
Another split omni experiment: 6.6.04 Mule show in Vail.  Tim and I both did the split omnis deal.  My AKG 480/ck62>V3 source is up on COtapers.org.  FOB/DFC, at about 50', omnis split 10'.  Sound is pretty damn good, esp at very high volume levels, and the show was incredible.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »
nothing is smoother than omni's, after listening to 4 recordings I did with them, some spread around 3', some 7-8 inches, both sound different, but very good.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline mickeybs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2004, 02:56:18 AM »
I always heard that you didnt have to separate omni's any wider than the width of a cap bill,,,,, The only thing  is the 360* crowd noise!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2004, 09:29:04 AM »
I always heard that you didnt have to separate omni's any wider than the width of a cap bill,,,,, The only thing  is the 360* crowd noise!

you don't have to but it sure helps the stereo image... wide but not too wide, it's trial and error.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2004, 09:54:44 AM »
you don't have to but it sure helps the stereo image... wide but not too wide, it's trial and error.

In "classic" split mode, used for years recording classical music, the rule was approximately 1 metre apart. This gave the best overall image of the music while it prevented the "hole in the middle" effect that occurs when you spread omni's too wide. There is certainly some trial and error involved, but if you go back and study why and how things were done in the past, things start to make a lot more sense.

A very good book to look for is "On Location Recording Techniques" by Bruce Bartlett & Jenny Bartlett. This book provides a lot of great background information on the why's. Not so much on the how's, but definitely something I recommend to people.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2004, 08:27:02 AM »
I am going to be running splits, with card in the middle this thursday for yonder.  If, and only if, I can build some steel contraption to hold up my TLS.  I am very intriquied by this omni notion
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com