Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: headphone stealth  (Read 2404 times)

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
headphone stealth
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:52:03 PM »
Anybody use a pair of behind head headphones like the ones that come with JB3 to stealth some mics?
What would be more innocent than a unit that looks like a CD player and a pair of headphones!

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: headphone stealth
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:24:14 PM »
I know SP makes some headphones mics. 

I've always thought the fact that you appear to be listening to headphones while at a concert to be be kinda "un-stealthy" myself tho.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 09:17:26 PM »
I know SP makes some headphones mics. 

I've always thought the fact that you appear to be listening to headphones while at a concert to be be kinda "un-stealthy" myself tho.

I got those headphones from SP.  I bought them with AT853 in them.  I only bought them because they were on sale (100$ only!) and it was cheaper than buying bare mics. But since then, I've used them alot.

But instead of wearing them I hang them around my neck.  I took a "heat gun" and bent the headband so the mic elements point forward and angle out to the left and right (approx 90 degrees aTpart).  So, they hang on my neck and the ear caps rest on my chest.  No picture, sorry.  hen the really do look natural.  I've stealthed a lot of shows this way.  An added advantage is that I can move my head.  As long as I keep my body pointing forward, the sound is perfect.  The disadvantage, as others have mentioned, is the mics are not up high.  I need to be careful where I sit/stand so I get a clear line of sight to the speakers.

By the way, those headphones, Sony 101 or something, are less than $10 at Best Buy.  Rip there earphone elements out, but a few holes in the plastic, and mount with a bit of hot melt glue.  The ones I had used those soft yellow/pink ear plugs as "shock mount" material.  I think SP did a pretty good job on these.  Now I just need to find a way to stealth some AKG CK-93 elements!  Maybe I'll get a big-ass pair of headphones for this.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:41:25 PM »
it's a great way to go incognito into crowded environments and get great recordings of different places (not concerts, you hippies!).  Baseball games, football games, airports, etc...

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:29:31 PM »
I have a pair of those too - loved the headphone design.  I'd love to put my 4061's in a set of headphones.  IT works nicely.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline gewwang

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:42:12 PM »
I got busted recently while wearing my etymotics as my earplugs because I had missplaced my earplugs and had them in the car. The first thing they asked me was if I was taping, then the second was what are the headphones for. I will never wear headphones while stealthing again.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 02:48:57 PM »
I got busted recently while wearing my etymotics as my earplugs because I had missplaced my earplugs and had them in the car. The first thing they asked me was if I was taping, then the second was what are the headphones for. I will never wear headphones while stealthing again.

Did you get thrown out or what?  Anyway, thanks for the tip.  I've been using Shure E2 and E3 in ear monitors while taping.  I *thought* they were low profile enough, but you never know.

By the way, if someone asks again, say that you sometime use for listing (train/bus, etc) but today you're using them as earplugs because the sound is too loud.  May or may not work.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline gewwang

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »
Yep, busted taping and got tossed from the show. The Ety's are white which doesn't help. I did tell them I was using them as my earplugs but that was after they already knew I was taping. I don't know how they knew I was taping for sure but wearing headphones in a concert that you're trying to hear would look suspicious to anyone that might be trying to bust tapers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com