Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSD/DSF/WSD Playback options?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline pyiteac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
DSD/DSF/WSD Playback options?
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:31 AM »
I record with a Korg MR-1 and would like to be able to playback the raw files without any DSP.  Is there a solution that is not ridiculously expensive?  I can convert them on the fly with my Mac to 24/96 using Audiogate or import them to a PS3 for 24/172 playback.  Is there a way to get the .wsd/.dsf files played without reloading onto the MR-1 and playing line out?

Anyone have some success stories?
Mics: Schoeps MK4>KCY (with MK41/MK21/MK8's on call)
Pre:  Schoeps VMS02ib 
Interconnects:  Kimber Kable
Recorder:  Korg Mr-1

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DSD/DSF/WSD Playback options?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
I thought the psp would playback blueray & dsd.
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
perhaps, but how do you get the DSD into a PSP ?  can't burn a SACD, so thats out.

the only way I can think is one of two things, and this is w/o being rediculously expensive.

the new Korg MR-2000 rack mount.  stuff a fat hdd in there and use it as a jukebox.  You could do the same w/a MR-1000.
other option is the rack mount Tascam DSD recorder that came out a few years back. there is an HDD option in that as well, but it will prob play raw data off of a DVD data disc.  I bet you can get one for a grand.  and when you think of it, the reality is that buying a state of the art CD player can cost 10x as much as any of these options.

the strangle hold on these D/WSD formats will die eventually. 
honestly though, I think WSD > 16 / 44.1 sounds tits, is easy to manage, and doesn't eat up my hard drives with huge files.  makes me more than happy when I listen.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:11:54 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline moellenium

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
I have a Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD recorder that I bought three years ago and I love it.  The new model has a hard drive built in, but I haven't heard that much about it.  I originally bought the machine to archive my DAT's, because you can record linearly to DVD-RW and add your edit points later.  The best part is, when you put your discs in the DV-RA1000 for playback they play like CDs, but when you put it in your computer it reads like a data disc, making it easier to use the files with a DAE or transfer to your archive.  The only time I use it to record DSD is when I archive my vinyl records, which sounds delicious.  The DV-RA1000 also comes with a free edition of Discwelder for your Mac or PC, which can convert your DSD discs to PCM, which is great if you want to share your music with other people.  I also use the box for all of my CD playback, it has one of the better DA chips that I've heard for the price.  On top of all that, it's built like a tank.

Offline pyiteac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:29:23 PM »
Well I got a PS3.  It will convert the .dsf files burned to a data DVD-R to 24/176.4 over HDMI or 24/88.2 over optical.  I just tried it out and it works.  It's pretty close but not a true stream of the original file set.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
I record with a Korg MR-1 and would like to be able to playback the raw files without any DSP.  Is there a solution that is not ridiculously expensive?  I can convert them on the fly with my Mac to 24/96 using Audiogate or import them to a PS3 for 24/172 playback.  Is there a way to get the .wsd/.dsf files played without reloading onto the MR-1 and playing line out?

Anyone have some success stories?

I second the DV-RA1000.

there arent that many options out there, but the DVRA is a great sounding box. Stock Converters are great.

another way to play the RAW stream is to use a DSD compatible AD/DA box and route the audio into Pyramix or Sadie. (they are used to edit DSD)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
Not answering the question but this is related and perhaps of interest...

Minnetonka is now selling the software Discwelder Bronze 1000. It used to only be available bundled with the DVRA-1000.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »
Not answering the question but this is related and perhaps of interest...

Minnetonka is now selling the software Discwelder Bronze 1000. It used to only be available bundled with the DVRA-1000.

Doesn't look like you can edit raw DSD files though, unless I am missing something.

http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/products/discwelder01000.html

discWelder BRONZE 1000m imports Linear PCM files in 16 and 24 bits and at 44.1; 48, 88.2, 96 176.4 and 192 kHz

UI displays full path, as well as bit dept and sample rate

Import and convert DSD to PCM for Authoring

Import and convert DSD to PCM and place in a folder for editing

Converts DSD to PCM at up to 24/96 (default is 24/28)

World’s most affordable DSD to PCM converter

Create Hi-definition DVD-Audio discs

Create Universal DVD-Audio discs by importing the audio into the Video_TS or video zone with a single mouse click. 

Author CD in same project

Supports gapless playback

Create pause down to the millisecond

Supports mix and match bit depth and sample rates – you can have 24/192, 24/96, 24/48 and 16/44 tracks all in the same project.

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline pyiteac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:20 AM »
Well it looks like i will have to win the lottery and buy some serious mastering gear. 

Wish me luck!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com