Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Toshiba 4960 question...  (Read 6576 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Quick Toshiba 4960 question...
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:02:54 PM »
I did some searching, and I lost my manual, so I need to ask... sorry...

When playing a DVD-A disc, will it send the signal out the analog outputs, or just the digital outputs?  I'm pretty sure I read in the manual, when I had it, that SACD only worked via the digital outputs, and I'm wondering if its the same with DVD-A.

Thanks
~A
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: Quick Toshiba 4960 question...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 03:10:14 PM »

When playing a DVD-A disc, will it send the signal out the analog outputs, or just the digital outputs?  I'm pretty sure I read in the manual, when I had it, that SACD only worked via the digital outputs, and I'm wondering if its the same with DVD-A.

Thanks
~A

isn't this the other way around- doesnt SACD generally work through analog outputs and DVD-A can work through a digital out?  i dont own a 4960, but thought this was the case with most players.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:16:25 PM »

Thanks
~A

isn't this the other way around- doesnt SACD generally work through analog outputs and DVD-A can work through a digital out?  i dont own a 4960, but thought this was the case with most players.

unfortunately, I don't know... I'm new to all of this stuff.  And, unfortunately, I can't test it either, because I'm unsure about the efficacy of the DVD-A discs that I'm going to be trying to burn tonight.

Normally I'd just burn one and try it (no, not this...  :smoking: :lol:) but I don't know for sure that the burn process is going to be trustworthy at this point.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:24:05 PM »
I'm almost 100% positive that the 4690 will output via digital and analog for DVD-A.  SACD cannot be sent through the digital output.

BobW

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 04:17:09 PM »
I'm almost 100% positive that the 4690 will output via digital and analog for DVD-A.  SACD cannot be sent through the digital output.

I think that's right.
Daryan ?

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »

You sir are correct!!!

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:50:13 PM »

I think that's right.
Daryan ?

100% correct, now get on those mods to make it sound better already ;) ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:29:16 PM »
Thanks everyone!  +Ts

D, if by mods, you mean, buy a different one, then I'm going to!  Mine has delays between tracks, and its annoying....

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 11:27:09 PM »
BTW, you guys were definately correct.  I was able to play a DVD-A disc produced by Wavelab 5.0 through the TV speakers!  It was totally HiFi.  Unfortunately, the dang thing studdered between tracks on the DVD-A format as well.  So, the search for a Universal player begins...

thanks again for the assistance guys.

~a

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 08:28:58 AM »
Thanks everyone!  +Ts

D, if by mods, you mean, buy a different one, then I'm going to!  Mine has delays between tracks, and its annoying....

I actually mean change out about 40 capacitors ;D

I haven't noticed these delays on mine, but apparently others do and have.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 08:40:56 AM »
I had the delay on my samsung HD-841 (rebranded 4960)...replaced it with a pioneer elite DV-45A and couldnt be happier

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
thats one big capacitor change Nick!
The mod that I'll do to my 4960 is the pick-axe through the disc drawer mod. Or maybe right thru the processor,....

:P

got tired of "hoping" that DVD-A and DVD-V audio discs played without gaps..solved that problem...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 10:04:40 AM »
The mod that I'll do to my 4960 is the pick-axe through the disc drawer mod. Or maybe right thru the processor,....

got tired of "hoping" that DVD-A and DVD-V audio discs played without gaps..solved that problem...

wait, so even on the Pioneer 45a, do you get the some kind of gaps between the tracks?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 10:07:48 AM »

wait, so even on the Pioneer 45a, do you get the some kind of gaps between the tracks?

no, it plays everything perfectly I throw at it...wavelab authored DVD-A, Audio DVD Creator discs, SACD, you name it and has a fantastic picture on top of it!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 10:10:22 AM »

no, it plays everything perfectly I throw at it...wavelab authored DVD-A, Audio DVD Creator discs, SACD, you name it and has a fantastic picture on top of it!

Oh, OK.  I thought you were saying that DVD-A and DVD-V discs played w/ gaps on everything... On a second read, I think you were saying that you just ignored it on the 4960, maybe?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com