Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ipod cracked display - UPDATE  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Ipod cracked display - UPDATE
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »
Anyone crack or have their ipod (nano) display crack? My 9 yr old son is heartbroken!    :'(

At first, there was this black blotch in the righ portion of the screen and the letters were still displaying (somewhat) and it still played. But after about 30 min, a line/crack developed and it wouldn't power. He tells me he didn't break it but I think he probably did but didn't realize it. Took it back to Best Buy where his mom bought it w/2yr warrenty and they immediatly said it was damaged and won't cover it. But when I called Apple and described a black blotch on the display, the guy immediately said " oh, that's new replacement, not a repair" and told me fill out their online form and by doing so, Apple will mail me the box they want me to ship it to them in. At this point, I'm not holding out much hope but will take my last shot at getting a replacement.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:09:11 PM by Rob D. »

Offline Rob D.

Re: Ipod cracked display
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:55:20 PM »
Dooh! I just realized I shoulda posted this in the "recorders" forum. Is there a way to move your own topics? Sorry!  >:(

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »
Anyone crack or have their ipod (nano) display crack? My 9 yr old son is heartbroken!    :'(

At first, there was this black blotch in the righ portion of the screen and the letters were still displaying (somewhat) and it still played. But after about 30 min, a line/crack developed and it wouldn't power. He tells me he didn't break it but I think he probably did but didn't realize it. Took it back to Best Buy where his mom bought it w/2yr warrenty and they immediatly said it was damaged and won't cover it. But when I called Apple and described a black blotch on the display, the guy immediately said " oh, that's new replacement, not a repair" and told me fill out their online form and by doing so, Apple will mail me the box they want me to ship it to them in. At this point, I'm not holding out much hope but will take my last shot at getting a replacement.

Apple is starting to do its customers right.  A co-worker broke her Nano while working out.  The screen developed the same black blotch, actually looked like a pen had leaked.  Apple sent her a box to return it in no questions asked and got a new one along with a $5 coupon for the Music Store.

Good luck!

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
Try a 60 gig U2 I-pod.  New one in about 3 week after I received the box and sent it back to them.
~Clint

Offline cpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Apple will most definitely take care of this. You shouldn't have to pay a dime. Personally I'd go back to Best Buy and complain to the manager and get your money back on the 2-year warranty too. Use the paperwork from Apple to show that it was a warranty fix and not your son's fault. (Bear in mind also that Apple will be shipping you a replacement with a different serial number that won't be covered under Best Buy's warranty which is serial number dependent).

Craig
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 03:11:37 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »
Apple will most definitely take care of this. You shouldn't have to pay a dime. Personally I'd go back to Best Buy and complain to the manager and get your money back on the 2-year warranty too. Use the paperwork from Apple to show that it was a warranty fix and not your son's fault. (Bear in mind also that Apple will be shipping you a replacement with a different serial number that won't be covered under Best Buy's warranty which is serial number dependent).

Craig

To all,
Thanks for the feedback! The nano is only 2 months old and I paid $195.00 for it so this is encouraging!

cpatch,
The first time I went to Worst Buy, they said it was "personal damage" and the $30.00 warrenty won't cover it. When I insisted, they credited the cost of the warrenty (less $2.00 becuase 2 months elapsed on it) and I walked away. After thinking about this the next day, I went back and told them "normal wear" was not how the saleman pimped this warrenty to my wife. The kid insisted the LED bleeding was damaged by me and strongly suggested the Apple won't replace it, either. When I talked to his manager, he politely told me everything the previous slacker did and that's as far as I felt I could take it. The last thing I told him was that he'd be hearing from me if Apple does replace it and he said he'd welcome that feedback.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »
Great Products!!!!!!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »
In the end Best Buy is made up of high school kids who are influenced by profit margin managers and product reps.  About a year ago I helped a friend with a new TV purchase at Best Buy.  After we had picked out a TV the saleskid went on and on about the Monster Cable power conditioner and how we HAD to have it.  "If you don't buy this thing you're wasting money on the TV."   So we replied "Well isn't that what the extended warranty if for?"  Sales pitch was over.  When we asked what the power conditioner did it was like he was reading from the product marketing card verbatum. 

Apple has taken a few kicks in the teeth about the entire Ipod line (scratches, battery life, etc.) and it seems like they keep coming through in the end.  Thats pretty refreshing to me in the world of consumer electronics.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »
I've owned five iPods over the past 3 years. During that time I've dropped one and had another stop working (it turned out to be my fault). Both times I've taken them into the local Apple Store and walked out with replacements within 30 minutes. I've also used Macs since 1984 and every time I've had a problem it's been taken care of by Apple shipping me a replacement unit (while I still have the defective unit) and letting me do any necessary data transfer before returning the defective unit. (And that's only happened 3 or 4 times in 20 years and who knows how many machines.)

Apple has its problems (like everyone else), but in my experience customer support isn't one of them.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »
---snip---

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880615,00.asp

More Consumers Join iPod Nano Suit
11.02.05   Total posts: 1 

By Matt Hines 
Lawyers involved in building a class-action lawsuit against Apple Inc. regarding its iPod Nano device said Tuesday that large numbers of people are attempting to participate in the case.

ADVERTISEMENT While refusing to provide specific figures on the volume of consumers looking to join the recently filed class-action suit, David P. Meyer, co-lead attorney for the proposed litigation, said that he and other lawyers organizing the case have been contacted by people in every U.S. state and several other countries who are looking to get their money back from Apple.

The suit, filed last week in San Jose, Calif., claims that the iPod Nano, introduced in mid-September, is defectively designed as its display screen can be easily scratched under normal use.

Meyer, who operates his own practice in Columbus, Ohio, and other lawyers involved in the suit, specifically those from the Seattle-based law firm of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, maintain that Apple chose to disregard the design problem with the Nano before its release and has not taken sufficient steps to address the issue since that time.

The iPod Nano's screen may be prone to scratching. A sure sign of the apocalypse? Click here to read Lance Ulanoff's column.

"From the volume of complaints that we've reviewed, the Nano is subject to excessive scratching in normal use in a certain amount of time," said Meyer. "This is much more than a cosmetic issue, as people spent between $200 and $250 on a product that promised a color display, and what we're seeing is that soon after this product is purchased the scratches appear on the screen to the point where it affects the overall usability."

Apple representatives didn't immediately return calls seeking comment on the lawsuit, which will require that a judge grants it class-action status in order to move forward.

Nano Scratches Nothing New(s)
Complaints Pile Up Over Nano's Display
Apple iPod nano (Summary)
Apple's iTunes Phone, iPod Nano Look Big
Apple Drops a Nano Bomb
The legal claim alleges that in designing the Nano, Apple constructed the device's housing such that its color screen and controls reside directly under a "less durable film of resin," allowing the scratching to occur. The filing contends that earlier iPods used a tougher form of plastic to protect their screens from marring and that Apple "ignored obvious defects in the design" in its push to get the product to market.

In addition, the suit maintains that after consumers began posting negative comments about the scratching issue on Apple's Web site, the company moved to delete some of the feedback in an effort to quiet the controversy. The legal claim seeks a full refund for the device's buying price, as well as the $25 needed to ship a broken iPod back to Apple for repair, among other damages.

Apple conceded publicly in late September that some of the Nano screens were having cracking issues, but said that the problem affected less than 1 percent of the devices it had sold. The company has yet to detail overall sales results for the Nano.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based hardware maker has since recommended that Nano buyers consider additional protection for their devices in the form of clear plastic cases designed to shield the screens, and some buyers have begun following the advice, posting pictures of their entombed iPods on the company's Web site. However, Meyer said that such advice trivializes the negative experience of Nano buyers and doesn't protect the company from litigation.

"The initial response that we see is Apple telling people to go spend more money to buy a cover, to spend another $30 to protect them from more scratches, and that's not acceptable," said Meyer. "Everybody knows that plastic scratches, but at the same time you can't put out a product that can't be used as it was intended and expect consumers to pay that kind of money and be satisfied."

As late as last week, customers were still posting their complaints over the scratching issue, and Apple's lack of response, to the company's site. A user identified as Andrew Warnes wrote he has had little luck in finding someone at the company willing to listen to his problems and indicated that the Nano fell well short of expected durability levels.

Click here to read more about complaints about the Nano.

"The Nano has been in my pocket inside a soft case since I bought the dreaded thing 6 weeks ago and it already has two large scratches on the display glass," wrote Warnes. "Now consider my [Motorola] V3 Razor phone sits in the opposite pocket and I have had that over a year and not a sign of scratching to the color screen. I think this is poor of Apple."

The only major complaint that Apple has received about the iPod, pre-Nano, has been in regard to the battery life of some of its earliest examples of the devices. In June, the company settled several class-action suits related to that issue, offering an extended service warranty and $50 store credits to people who had experienced the problem, which effected iPods manufactured between 2001 and May 2004.

Apple reported that it sold over 11.5 million iPods over its last two fiscal quarters, the latest of which ended Sept. 24. The company said that it shipped over 1 million Nanos over the first three weeks the device was available and indicated at that time that it had more orders for the machines than it could fulfill.

Offline Rob D.

Re: Ipod cracked display - UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 02:06:20 PM »
Here's how rock solid Apple's support is.

Saturday: Called Apple tech line upon discovering cracked display. Was advised to go to their RMA website and fill out form. Was told a box will be mailed to me and I am to insert the the defective IPOD and mail it back.

Tuesday: The box arrives at my doorstep.

Wednesday: DHL picks up the box (conveiently at my work place)

Saturday: DHL truck delivers brand new IPOD nano at my doorstep!!

That is amazing customer satafaction. Now I'm off the Best Buy to educate some high school drop outs....

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
In the end Best Buy is made up of high school kids

Read the Guitar Center thread - same thing.  Store is run by hi-school kids in it for weekend money and free stuff. 

When I first strarted taping, I was interested in getting a digital format convertor.  I figured I'd look around at Best Buy, CCity, etc. to see what they had.  Went to BBuy and asked some kid in the stereo dept, who asked another kid.  The answer was that a device like that wasn't sold at BB, but if they did it would be hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I walked out and went across the street to Rat-Shack and bought a DFC for $12.  I returned to BBuy and showed my new device to the same kids.  Neither of them said anything, just gave me idiot looks. 

Terry

PS I've had exp with Apple, but from what I've heard from friends near me, they are about the last the US firm that has kind of decent customer-service...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:04:12 PM »
Apple usually comes through in the end...  I've owned Macs since the Mac SE, and we now have 2 macs.  We had an iBook that was a POS, 6 logic board replacements in 2 years...  And Apple wouldn't do diddly about it.  We kept losing work, and at one point I had to keep the iBook in the freezer in order to boot it.

After a little over 2 years, and our 7th failure, Apple replaced it with a Powerbook.  They made good in the end, but we had some heartaches on the way.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »
So my son got a job when he turned 16, saved up and bought a brand new shiny 60Gb Ipod w/ video.
3 weeks later, screen stops displaying.   Finally sent it back to Apple several weeks later on a Thursday, got same unit back on Saturday saying external force caused an internal crack in the screen.  Not covered, and entire warranty is void.

This is bullshit. There isn't a single scratch on the unit, but there is a crack inside, very slight. Kid swears he never dropped it or anything, and I believe him.  He got a Nomad Jukebox a couple of years ago and it lasted 1 day before he dropped it and cracked the screen, so he was real careful with the Ipod...

IMO, this problem seems similar to the Nano issue, only w/ the bigger units.

Apple support, imo, completely sucks and they don't give a shit.  They offer no repair option, just total replacement of their flimsy product.  Guy was reading off a standard response sheet it seemed.

Never again. Wish there was something I could do.  Anyone else have a problem w/ their Ipod screens ?

/Ken
retired

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
A friend at Apple told me that lots of screen failures are caused by people putting the ipod in their pocket, then bending or sitting (and not sitting on it, although that happens alot too).  Even a slight flex will crack the display (ie. external force), but wont do any damage to the Ipod exterior. The person may have no idea it happened, so will think they did nothing wrong (like drop it, etc).  Main thing is just to treat them like what they are, a small and somewhat fragile piece of electronic equipment.  I personally have had zero problems with my Nano.  I snowboard with it, workout with it, take it all over.  I just try to be very aware of where it is.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 10:04:35 AM »
So my son got a job when he turned 16, saved up and bought a brand new shiny 60Gb Ipod w/ video.
3 weeks later, screen stops displaying.   Finally sent it back to Apple several weeks later on a Thursday, got same unit back on Saturday saying external force caused an internal crack in the screen.  Not covered, and entire warranty is void.

This is bullshit. There isn't a single scratch on the unit, but there is a crack inside, very slight. Kid swears he never dropped it or anything, and I believe him.  He got a Nomad Jukebox a couple of years ago and it lasted 1 day before he dropped it and cracked the screen, so he was real careful with the Ipod...

IMO, this problem seems similar to the Nano issue, only w/ the bigger units.

Apple support, imo, completely sucks and they don't give a shit.  They offer no repair option, just total replacement of their flimsy product.  Guy was reading off a standard response sheet it seemed.

Never again. Wish there was something I could do.  Anyone else have a problem w/ their Ipod screens ?

/Ken

You should hunt around on google.  Ipods are very simple inside, ony 4 or 5 component parts, and most if not all the parts are readily available.  If you're somewhat handy you should be able to swap the screen without a big hassle, I've done it before for my friends G3 ipod.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 01:26:09 PM »
Apple is starting to do its customers right.

they've actually been ranked at the top (or close to the top) for a *long* time when it comes to customer service

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:07 PM »

/Ken

did you fight that at all?  i would have sent it back again

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »

/Ken

did you fight that at all?  i would have sent it back again
Yep, I asked to speak to a supervisor, but he could read the standard reply sheet well.
Next, gonna try IPodRESQ.com...

/Ken
retired

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 03:48:30 PM »
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
or...

http://fastmac.com/lcdscreen.php
Thanks for the pointer.  Do you recommend this and/or know anyone who's used em ?

/Ken
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com