Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO 24/96 DVD player advice  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ISO 24/96 DVD player advice
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
Oh... and FWIW the 980H was built more as an audio player, it's analog output sounds better than the others (mostly differing output stage op-Amps).  Though I believe the new 983 Has also received this treatment.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »
Stereophile verified that the 970 does output 24/96 I don't see why that would be dropped in the 981.

thanks

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
the 970 only outputs 24/48.  stereophile is wrong.
hook it up to your DAC and see what it clocks at.  I did.

good sounding deck though.
Lynchie...
if possible, bypass a deck entirely.  but a nice DAC and stream digital from your PC.
fuck burning discs!  thats so....2000

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
the 970 only outputs 24/48.  stereophile is wrong.
hook it up to your DAC and see what it clocks at.  I did.

good sounding deck though.
Lynchie...
if possible, bypass a deck entirely.  but a nice DAC and stream digital from your PC.
fuck burning discs!  thats so....2000

hmmm.... That's interesting.

As soon as my motherboard supports 20 SATA or IDE drives that's an option until then discs seem to be the way to go for indefinite storage.

I've been eyeballing the 980HD but if it doesn't do 24/96 as reported it's off the list.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »
I was over at Lynchie's this evening, and he's already got the Oppo.
We burned a 24/96 DVD-Audio disc (with DVD-Audiofile to create the image, and ImgBurn to burn).
The Oppo was definitely outputting a 24/96 signal, because the little 96 kHz light on the 901 was glowing :)

but here's the weird thing.  The Oppo has a volume control.  According to the manual, audio options menu allows you to choose between "raw" and LPCM mode.  LPCM mode forces all digital output to be LPCM, while the "raw" mode outputs whatever the original digital format is.  So if you have a DAC that cannot understand a DTS signal, or Dobly Digital, then you would want to set it to LPCM.  So that's what I told Lynchie to do (because the 901 only accepts PCM signals, and it can't decode DTS or dobly digital).  But then we realized that the Oppo volume control was affecting the volume of the music.  Which we interpretted as "bad", because that means that the Oppo is doing some digital processing before it outputs the signal.  So we went back to the manual, and it said that if you switch the audio mode to "raw" (instead of LPCM), than the Oppo volume won't have any affect.  That sounded like what we wanted (have the Oppo output the original digital signal), so we switched it to "raw" mode.  (in this case, because the source material is PCM anyway, "raw" mode still outputs LPCM).  but the weird thing was that the Oppo volume still could control the volume of the music.

At that point, I had to go - but we couldn't really figure out how to get the Oppo to just output the original digital signal, without any processing.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 08:16:42 AM »
what model oppo ?  My 970 truncated things to 24/48.  I believe we discused this in length here on the board.

IMO..., listening to 24/96 is a futile effort.  Its worth mastering at that resolution..but given the PITA of playback and the very, very minimal...if any...audible benefits over a well done redbook...., fudge it.

Enter the Cambridge audio Azur 840c / 740c
just a straight up CD player that upsamples to 24/384mHz and has digital INPUTS..., so you can use it as a DAC as well as a deck.
:)
Its a grand though.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »
If we're going to spend thousands, lets just step up to the real deal... any transport and the Meitner DCC2  8)   Truly holographic sound.

what model oppo ?  My 970 truncated things to 24/48.  I believe we discused this in length here on the board.

IMO..., listening to 24/96 is a futile effort.  Its worth mastering at that resolution..but given the PITA of playback and the very, very minimal...if any...audible benefits over a well done redbook...., fudge it.

Enter the Cambridge audio Azur 840c / 740c
just a straight up CD player that upsamples to 24/384mHz and has digital INPUTS..., so you can use it as a DAC as well as a deck.
:)
Its a grand though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com