Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WTK: Auto level vs manual  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
WTK: Auto level vs manual
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
I have a question about auto level/gain control vs. manual recording level setting. From all the posts I have ready about this setting on here, it seems like the general consensus is NOT to use the auto setting when recording concerts because the dynamics of the recording suffer. One question I have is, is it extremely noticeable? I say this becasue I might be stealth recording a loud show in May and I won't have an opportuntiy to mess around with the levels.

Also, here is what my Tascam DR-07 manual says about AUTO vs LMT recording. The way they define LMT it sounds very similar to AUTO, or is LMT another type setting entirely? What do you guys think? See the below paragraphs.

"Set it to AUTO to have the DR-07 automatically adjust the input gain according to the input level. Loud sounds and quite sounds are both adjusted to the same level."

"Set it to LMT to have the DR-07 automatically limit the input gain so that input level of sounds are reduced to prevent distortion."

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: WTK: Auto level vs manual
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »
Auto gain control is designed for speech recording.  We don't discuss stxxlth here, but setting the levels is done manually within the first song or two and then you leave the levels alone for the remainder of the set, particularly when running 24 bit.  It all becomes second nature after you have enough practice.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com