Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: would this config work to test two ADCs..?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
would this config work to test two ADCs..?
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
mic > preamp > xlr-out of preamp > hydra cable (one pair female xlr > 2x pair male xlr) > xlr-in on TWO different ADCs

maybe nick (nick's picks) can chime in since he made the cable for me, years ago, for something else (that i never ended up trying)...

anyway, if we used the above config, there would be only one phantom source... i guess my question is: can the xlr signal from the preamp be evenly split, passively with these cables, so we would be feeding the two adcs (via the xlr input) the same signal..? would the signal be clean to both xlr-male pairs, or would there be some loss (sound quality-wise)..?

any input is appreciated - thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:20:12 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: would this config work to test two ADCs..?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
c'mon now. surely someone around here knows something about this... surprised nick hasnt spoken up - he made the cable (i pm'd him with a link to this thread, but havent heard back, yet - i assume he is just busy). i was just kinda hoping some of the rest of you had some insight on this as well...

thanks, y'all, for taking the time to looks at this thread - a big +t to you. i am considering doing this 'cos i would like to try the ad2k+ and the mytek192 head to head, so i can see which i like better with my mic/pre combo...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Digital Quality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: would this config work to test two ADCs..?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
Input impedance wise, you should be ok. The problem you will probably encounter would be with the relative scaling between the 2 boxes. There isn't really a standard level of input signal "hotness" to run full scale on the A/D. IMO You'd be better off with a mixer so you could run both converters to their full potential to get a good comparison.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com