Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR SBD outs??  (Read 5750 times)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
XLR SBD outs??
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:13:28 PM »
Are they usually male or female? I'm going to be building some custom XLR > RCA to use to go into my UA-5 and want to make sure I get the right ends.  ???
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

jpschust

Re: XLR SBD outs??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:14:36 PM »
might i suggest that you just use a pair of shorter xlr>xlr and then get a bunch of adapters so that you are ready in any situation?

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:17:08 PM »
You could....but it wouldn't answer my question  ;)

I realize that the XLR > RCA isn't the most widely used, but I have this thing about using adaptors in the chain...it's a quirk, I'm sorry  :-\
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 12:24:18 PM »
the boards ive seen were female outs.  but i would also tell ya that you are better off runinng to the xlr ins on the ua-5 than the rca ins......
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 12:33:49 PM »
unless the board is too hot and you need to knock down the signal a bit.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 12:36:36 PM »
Sorry, should have mentioned this would be for doing a sbd/aud mix. Mics using the XLR on the UA-5, board feed using the RCA's. Just a thought. Making cable sis so much fun and affordable (less than $15 for all the parts for XLR > RCA) why not have a few options laying around.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:24:15 PM »
Most boards I've seen are female out, but most are also balanced outs, so keep that in mind.

I use a pair of impedance matching transformers (xlr>1/4") with 1/4">rca adapters to matrix w/ my ua-5.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 03:02:29 AM »
i've been offered both male and female outs.  didn't actually take the male out so i dunno.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 04:47:32 AM »
Back when I taped I never once ran into a board with male XLR outputs, although I did have the adapters ready just in case. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

hexyjones

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 07:46:02 AM »

Which is very likely...the XLR output likely runs at "pro" level...much hotter than what a RCA "consumer" input is expecting to see. Unless you can control the output level at the XLRs - you may be taking a risk of brickwalling the RCA input...

I think Pro gear is +4db

Consumer -10db

Is that right? I forget...

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 08:58:03 AM »

Which is very likely...the XLR output likely runs at "pro" level...much hotter than what a RCA "consumer" input is expecting to see. Unless you can control the output level at the XLRs - you may be taking a risk of brickwalling the RCA input...

I think Pro gear is +4db

Consumer -10db

Is that right? I forget...

Yeah, that's about right.  Absent the "adapter phobia", I carry a set of Whirlwind XLR "Y" cables (2 female/1 male) and a pair male-2-male barrel adapters - so I can patch anything to anything.  All my gear (v3 & D10 Pro) is either pro, or jumper adaptable, so input levels aren't a problem (never brickwalled the V3 anyway - I don't know that you actually CAN).  SBD outs may frequently be 1/4 Phone also, or you may have to "rob" signal from an insert on the master out (used for EQ's, compressors, etc. that are pre-master-faders - insert tip/ring connector 1/2-way).

When I'm heading out for a board patch I carry my "magic bag" which contains:

2 - Whirlwind XLR "Y" cables - 2F/1M
2 - XLR M-M Barrel Connectors
2 - Direct Wired (no impedance matcher) RCA-M to XLR-M
2 - RCA-F to 1/4 Phone Adapters (the kind that just plug onto RCA males)
1 - mini-stereo to RCA cable (in case I gotta run out of the Sound Guys D-8)
2 - Gold RCA-F Barrel Connectors

There basically isn't a console you can't get a line out of with this assortment.  Most will be just a plain pair of XLR mic cables required.  While yes, you want as little as possible in your signal path, unless you're patching Phish or The Dead - there's likely gonna be so many junk cables onstage, and FX patch's on the console - that a couple more connectors between the console on your pre/deck aren't gonna make it any worse (and I've seen some pretty ragged out consoles in clubs).

Typical "patchers courtesy" applies also.  Soundguy is likely busy, band soundguy (unless it's thier own rig) likely doesn't know WHERE the patchpoints are on that particular console anyway.  Ask the HOUSE engineer, if the band is OK with patching.  Ask what type of connection is required, get your cables/adapters ready, and stand back until he's ready to plug you in, then get out of the way.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

cleantone

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 09:27:07 AM »
If your getting XLR outs of a board they are most likely coming from the group out's. If thats the case, you can take the level back with those faders. Most board I run into do NOT have a second XLR output. Somtimes the house is using a mono out and there will be the left right XLR's available. Other times they might be using a 1/4" out and the XLR's would be available. MOST case in my experience there is no extra XLR to use. If your worried about a hot signal ask the house guy if your output has it's own trim. He is not gonna worry about checking your level to take the trim down, but he might not mind if yu grab the know or fader if you've already asked. If you don't have permission, don't touch the board. No matter how much you know about it.

As for male or female, can someone show me an example where an output on a non custom job is female? Male usually goes out and female goes in, just like god made it. Thats why they refer to it like that. It is early in the morngin and I have had no coffee, so if I'm backward about that let me know.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 09:31:49 AM »
I'm going with the XLR outs for the reason that everytime I attempt to get a sbd of this band I am told it is XLR outs. I don't really do to many other boards, and like I said $16 is no big deal to have a custom cable to use when they come around 3 or 4 times a year. I'll just have to get over my "adaptor phobia" . Thanks all.

cleantone

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 09:35:55 AM »
I wonderif they have one of those nice bigger Midus boards. The bigger ones have two XLR main outs... Do you know the board?

Again i anyone can show me a female output on a console, please do....

cleantone

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 09:54:09 AM »
I'm looking all around for consoles with a female output and haven't found anything. Grantid a lot of them don't have pics of the back panal. This has got me extremly curious. Maybe people meant you need a female connector to plug into it? Is that the case?

Moke, (question for you) why the surprise whn they said it was male out? Do you know a board that isn't?

Thanks...

If I was cat I'd be dead from curiosity OD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com