Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR SBD outs??  (Read 5751 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: XLR SBD outs??
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 09:54:30 AM »
I've only ever seen male outputs.  Here's my basic sounboard ready kit http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16338.15#msg377772
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 09:58:09 AM »
agree with the male outputs...that is what the pour house board has here in town

cleantone

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 10:37:02 AM »
Oh okay!

mxlr, and fxlr's -> rca cables

I made a male XLR to RCA but I use it to come out RCA into XLR when needed.

ONE more time. If anyone can aim me to a console with female outputs, I'm dying to see it.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 10:43:07 AM »
unless the board is too hot and you need to knock down the signal a bit.

Which is very likely...the XLR output likely runs at "pro" level...much hotter than what a RCA "consumer" input is expecting to see. Unless you can control the output level at the XLRs - you may be taking a risk of brickwalling the RCA input...

I think Pro gear is +4db

Consumer -10db

Is that right? I forget...

oh yeah - forgot.  When you take a balanced XLR and go unbalanced RCA with one of those adapters, you're down 6 dB, which helps the 'hotness' (heat?) of the average board signal.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »
As for male or female, can someone show me an example where an output on a non custom job is female? Male usually goes out and female goes in, just like god made it. Thats why they refer to it like that. It is early in the morngin and I have had no coffee, so if I'm backward about that let me know.

I would like to see a female xlr that sends a signal as well. 

Just follow this very simple rule:  signal flows from the male into the female. 

To patch an xlr from the board, you hand the foh the female xlr.  What you have on your end is up to you.  In the original poster's question, fxlr>rca will work just fine.

cleantone

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 03:27:22 PM »
No worries...

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 04:53:26 PM »
ive always had this thought about boards and other electronic gear that all the onboard stuff should be female and all cables should be male.  male ends are much more likely to get damaged over time than female ends.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com