Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yet another matrix question  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Yet another matrix question
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »
Guys,
   Tomorrow night will be my first attempt at a sbd/aud matrix using my Microtrack.  Here is my plan: (Taping in a small room/bar)  Plan on running my HO's about 10' back from the stage+SBD+a direct bass line+overheads->eurorack->V3->MT.

So I have a few questions.  Use the V3 up front as a pre, or in back as an AD?  I'm thinking since it is a small room and I'll be close to the stage I really don't NEED the V3 pre.  Also, I have never taped using the line in on the MT and have no idea how it would handle a signal off the eurorack.  Which brings me to my next question, how will the V3 handle a line level signal coming off the eurorack?  How should I set my levels in this case?  Any thoughts/experiences would be most appreciated.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Yet another matrix question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »
If you don't need the V3 as a pre (assuming that you have other power for the mics), I would probably opt for using it as the A/D into the MT.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
how should I set the levels?  I've never used the V3 in conjuction with a mixer..
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:14:54 AM »
Just grabbed the manual and it actually specifies how to handle a line level, set the gain to 10 and use trim to adjust.  Does anyone have experience using the V3 inputs as line in?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
You might want to check out this thread, discussing some of the issues of running a V3 as a digital vs. analog pre.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77346.0.html
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:51:06 PM »
I've done a good number of these on the fly jobs - however, caveat - no experience with said gear - but if it were dumped in my lap... :D

Depending on what kind of band (assuming they are making some noise on stage) - I might run a little closer...near/on stage...

I would use the V3 as the A/D - seems like I would rather take a chance on the Eurorack Pres, rather than use the MT A/D...Although if this were a regular thing - you'd catch me trying both ways...

It might be wise to run the pads on your mics if you have any doubts about the Eurorack trimmers...

I have a similar quality Yamaha mixer - and with something like a AKG481 I have to use the on-mic -10db pad to control the mic effectively - even with the trimmers all the way down, the channels were peaking much harder than I like...(point is - some mixers trimmers dont go all the way down)

(Who knows - maybe thats the best argument for using the V3 as the mic pre)

See attached pic for one common matrix setup I use - this band has only vocals and drums in the mix. The Apex LD mics are attached to each guitar players mic stand just above the knees..

This track - has a little instrumental screwing around before the song - but a decent example...
http://www.archive.org/download/londonfile2006-11-22.matrix/londonfile2006-11-22t18_vbr.mp3

Level wise - set each as if you were recording them independently...I don't really use the percentage thing for this approach...If anything - I've found myself running the board a little on the hot side...

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
It might be wise to run the pads on your mics if you have any doubts about the Eurorack trimmers...

I should be good here, i've run them into the eurorack before.

I would use the V3 as the A/D - seems like I would rather take a chance on the Eurorack Pres, rather than use the MT A/D...Although if this were a regular thing - you'd catch me trying both ways...

Yeah, and doesn't the metering suck on the MT? (I always use the V3 meters, obviously) I have older software too, that may have been fixed..

We'll see. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jesse

FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
BTW thanks for the link.  Was the kit mik'd at all?  Did you have a direct bass line in the board?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
BTW thanks for the link.  Was the kit mik'd at all?  Did you have a direct bass line in the board?

Just minimal miking on the kit...overheads, kick, snare - The stage mics pick up some drum too - Pretty sure no bass DI for this venue...I sure cant tell just from listening...usually DI bass has bit more clank or metal to the sound...Those guys are playing the same venue this weekend - I'll make sure I get the details...but pretty sure its all stage volume on the bass...I've worked with this group and soundman so much - I stopped asking... :P

I aim the mics between the guitars and the drums...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com