Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yet another R-09 question  (Read 2200 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Yet another R-09 question
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
Well, I made the plunge and have a new R-09 coming in a few days. The mics and amp will come a bit later. I should have planned ahead 'cause we have a music festival coming up which would be a great opportunity for experimentation which is what I'll be doing for a while!

My question is, would it be possible (and I'm sure someone has already done this and has results they can share) to mount the R-09 at the top of a tripod ( I have a nice Slik camera pod that goes up almost 6') and point the internal mics toward the stage at an outdoor event? If so how close would you need to be. Obviously, this depends on how loud the sound system is and the type of music, but is there a good rule of thumb to follow. I'm not expecting stellar results, but as I said it's experimentation. And yes, I plan to guard this tripod with my life and in this setting, I can set up chairs on either side in most cases.

Wish I had thought about this sooner, but oh well.

Sorry to keep going on with the questions, but it's the only way to learn. Thanks to everyone who's offered help and suggestions so far.

Russ C.
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline tenesejedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
Re: Yet another R-09 question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »
if you look on Edirol's website, there is an accessory you can buy that will mount the R-09 on a stand.  I'm sure you can find some online vendors who sell them.  I've had an R-1 for a few years now and I too have an R-09 coming in the mail.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
I found that case and ordered one. Pricey but will be useful just the same. Does my idea sound like it would work? Thanks, rWc3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline muziklvr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »
I can't answer your question but I would like to hear your results when you get them.  I'm also a new r-09 user still experimenting.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »
Ah, I see. We're in the same boat. I hope to have something in a few weeks, but it will be with the R-09 itself. My mics will be on order for a few weeks. Good luck you your rig. rWc3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »
Well, I made the plunge and have a new R-09 coming in a few days. The mics and amp will come a bit later. I should have planned ahead 'cause we have a music festival coming up which would be a great opportunity for experimentation which is what I'll be doing for a while!

My question is, would it be possible (and I'm sure someone has already done this and has results they can share) to mount the R-09 at the top of a tripod ( I have a nice Slik camera pod that goes up almost 6') and point the internal mics toward the stage at an outdoor event? If so how close would you need to be. Obviously, this depends on how loud the sound system is and the type of music, but is there a good rule of thumb to follow. I'm not expecting stellar results, but as I said it's experimentation. And yes, I plan to guard this tripod with my life and in this setting, I can set up chairs on either side in most cases.

Wish I had thought about this sooner, but oh well.

Sorry to keep going on with the questions, but it's the only way to learn. Thanks to everyone who's offered help and suggestions so far.

Russ C.

I've never tried the internal mics on my R-09. I understand that they are quite decent. I'm assuming that since you're planning on mounting the R-09 on a tripod that this a taper-friendly show? Without knowing the specific details of your show/festival, I'll offer my worthless $.02:

*I would be uncomfortable using a camera tripod. If it's more of a lighting type stand (with a much sturdier base than a long legged camera type tripod) that's okay.
*If you mount the R-09 over your own height (6' would be just over my head), it will be difficult to monitor your input levels and adjust if need be. As it's new equipment to you,    adjustments may be necessary.
*You stated it's outdoors; wind could be an issue. The R-09 solo would be lacking windscreens.

Okay, enough of the negative. :P If it were me...I'd try finding a kind taper who will let you patch with the R-09. Your mics will arrive sooner or later. You'll have plenty of opportunities to fly solo. I'd go to the show with any needed high quality patch cords. Congrats on the R-09! It's a fine, small packaged, recorder.  :)   

MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
Good points Stu, thanks! I'm not sure if I'll be doing the tripod thing or not. And yes, most, probably all of what I'll do locally will be open. Good point on level monitoring. As far as the tripod, the R-09, from what I hear, is pretty light, probably lighter than my old Nikon SLR. We've also used it as a video tripod. It's a pretty good one and very stable. Of course, any drunk could knock it over. Since I won't have any mics for this upcoming event, do you have any suggestions on the best way to record?. As far as working with anyone else, I've never seen a taper at any of the clubs here, unfortunately. I thought about asking to patch into the board, but alas, I'm just starting out and have no equipment (as in an assortment of cables). A good idea though!

We'll have ten days of opportunities (I wish I'd ordered the mics earlier) to play around, inside shows, outside shows, loud, intimate, a lot of variety. Down the road, however, I've contacted three local bands already and they're fine with taping. Of course, I told them not to expect great results as I'm just getting into it. There are bands playing here every weekend and in most cases, I know someone in the band (I write for the local paper and have done band stories for the past 18 months! 8)

I'm open to ANY suggestions, but I'm sure whatever I do with the internal mics will change once I get the CA cards! THEN, I'm looking at a tall light stand, adjustable to 9 feet, with a modified T-bar or something on top to mount the cards. Maybe I should have went another route for mostly open taping, but I wanted the best I could get for a small amount of money and I think I've done pretty good. If I enjoy what I'm doing, I can always move up! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice. I'll never pass up advice from anyone here! rWc3523 8)
Edirol UA-5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com