Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 81928 times)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2007, 07:35:43 AM »
i predict the price on these will drop even further due to the low dealer cost on these.
neat lookin' unit, though.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
My wish list includes a deck with BOTH hard drive AND flash card RECORDING ability. 

This is where recording can be selected to ONLY write to flash card for additional reliability/battery run time, AND then have ability to BACKUP the lower capacity flash card to the huge capacity hard drive LATER when adequate power and vibration free mechanical stability is more assured.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline jerrythek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2007, 09:12:39 AM »
At the recent NAB show, staff at the Korg booth said
the MR-1000 is selling for less than $1000, even close
to $900, from Korg's retailers.  I haven't found any
that low, but don't accept the advertised price of
$1200 as the final word.  Ask for a discount!

Flintstone

I'm not sure where you got that impression, I was one of the two staff members at the NAB show.

The list price/full retail for the MR-1000 is $1,499. I see it regularly advertised for around $1,199. No dealer is going to be selling it as low as $900, there must have been some confusion/misunderstanding.

Regards,

Jerry

Offline jerrythek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »

Dang, my first issue with the mr-1000. I too got 'Disk too busy'. I restarted the recording and seemed to run ok.
After a song or two I placed a folded up jacket underneath the unit assuming vibrations was the cause.

Listening back, I've got skipping until I placed the jacket underneath. Mostly ok the rest of the show until
near the end when I got more skipping in the recording...

The unit was positioned on stage fairly close to the drummer and a stage monitor, although we
are not that loud a band at all and I've done multi-tracking in a similar position with no such HDD issues...

So I believe the mr-1000 HDD is overly sensitive to vibrations. Dang-nabbit!

So we need better shock absorbing for the HDD... Jerry, are you listening? Someone else reported this
issue as well.

Anyone else have this issue with a solution? Seems like a shock absorbing case is going to be needed here
and/or better gromits inside.

Thanks,
Mandoman

OK, I've here - I don't chekc in every day so I'm sorry you were waiting for me.

I see a lot of assumptions going on here, let's try to cut to what we actually know. I checked with the engineers and this "Disk Too Busy" may actually be part of a pre-1.50 bug, and not related to vibration. It seems we had received some reports about this and it was fixed in 1.50. I just heard back from them and the people who reported the problem have now reported that it has gone away with the new OS. So I'd ask you to first update and then check things out and report back here.

We chose the 1.8" drives specifically because they are more resistant to vibration as compared to 2.5" and other drive formats. And we mounted the HDD with anti-shock material called Sorbothane to enhance the tolerance. So while we cannot guarantee no shock/vibration issues with a device that uses a moving drive, we feel that this software fix is actually the issue, and not a mechanical one. Let's all confirm together, OK?

regards,

Jerry

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »

OK, I've here - I don't chekc in every day so I'm sorry you were waiting for me.

I see a lot of assumptions going on here, let's try to cut to what we actually know. I checked with the engineers and this "Disk Too Busy" may actually be part of a pre-1.50 bug, and not related to vibration. It seems we had received some reports about this and it was fixed in 1.50. I just heard back from them and the people who reported the problem have now reported that it has gone away with the new OS. So I'd ask you to first update and then check things out and report back here.

We chose the 1.8" drives specifically because they are more resistant to vibration as compared to 2.5" and other drive formats. And we mounted the HDD with anti-shock material called Sorbothane to enhance the tolerance. So while we cannot guarantee no shock/vibration issues with a device that uses a moving drive, we feel that this software fix is actually the issue, and not a mechanical one. Let's all confirm together, OK?

regards,

Jerry

Thanks for chiming in Jerry. I was running firmware 1.50 when I had my issue...
I ran the unit with the same firmware 1.50 two nights before in a quiet environment
with no issues. So I'm pretty sure vibration was the cause in my case.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:03:50 PM by mandoman »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:20 PM »
I have to agree, vibration will cause this exact issue. It's obvious the Hdd is insulated well but maybe not well enough? I think this issue needs to be addressed as there are a few people who will be using it for onstage taping, I generally do not but I know plenty of folks who do. I can assure you if people end up with errors on a regular basis it will certainly affect your sales, the perception will be that the unit is not well suited for field use, just something you might want to pass on to the higher ups. Also, Jerry thanks for participating in this forum, I certainly appreciate having someones ear at Korg.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
Hi Jerry,

When I visited the Korg booth, you were being interviewed by some
press representatives.  So I spoke with the other Korg employee, a
young man.  If I got bad information, I'm glad you corrected me.

My feeling is that Korg's retailers have agreed not to advertise
prices lower than $1195.  But it doesn't hurt to ask for a price
break.

Flintstone

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »

My feeling is that Korg's retailers have agreed not to advertise
prices lower than $1195.  But it doesn't hurt to ask for a price
break.

Not only do the retailers agree not to advertise them for lower than MAP, but they can loose their contract if they do. Just because a MAP is set, that doesn't mean the item can't be sold for less than that price....it just means they can't advertise it for less.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline simplicisimus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
Dear Jerry,

Thanks for bein' here, and givin' support to final users of this great sounding product.

I was wondering, will there be a software update solution to the problem of monitoring routing matrix inside mr1000. There has to be a monitoring routing matrix in a portable hdd recorder, eg. to choise what you are listening (mono L, mono R, or Stereo L+R (default), & meybe some MS decoding matrix?). Also, there should be a option if a user want to record only one (mono) channel, instead of wasting precious hdd space on stereo file.

This is the options that every professional field sound recorder have, so i don't see the reason not to include these functions on next firmware updates, unless it's not possible ?

many thanks, and hope we'll together make this product - S h i n e !

:)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »
I wanted to bump this topic to see how people were feeling about the internal pre's vs. external now that the decks have been in use for a little while longer? I am really curious how the internal compares to the Portico & if it is still as good?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2007, 02:26:19 PM »
Another question, does the TRS 1/4 phone jack input on the MR1000 reduce the signal or not? I tested with some adapters & I could see a DB drop with my XLR>1/4 TRS adapter vs. just straight up XLR in the high & low gain settings. I am wondering if maybe my adapters also attenuate? I have no real way to test this unless I make a pair of TRS/XLR cables.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »
Another question, does the TRS 1/4 phone jack input on the MR1000 reduce the signal or not? I tested with some adapters & I could see a DB drop with my XLR>1/4 TRS adapter vs. just straight up XLR in the high & low gain settings. I am wondering if maybe my adapters also attenuate? I have no real way to test this unless I make a pair of TRS/XLR cables.

The XLR is mic only.  So going in XLR will add a certain amount of fixed gain at it's lowest setting, won't it?  I doubt that your adapters have built in attenuation. 

More likely the fixed gain of the mic input at its lowest setting is greater than the line level signal, which is why you're perceiving a drop in level going in TRS.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:49 PM »
OK, I made the cables tonight & the 1/4 TRS does in fact have a lower gain setting. I ran one XLR (mic in) & one 1/4 TRS (line in) to find the line in is lower in either high or low gain settings. So it now looks like I need to make a nice right angle TRS cable to female XLR.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

kskreider

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2007, 12:58:05 AM »
OK, I made the cables tonight & the 1/4 TRS does in fact have a lower gain setting. I ran one XLR (mic in) & one 1/4 TRS (line in) to find the line in is lower in either high or low gain settings. So it now looks like I need to make a nice right angle TRS cable to female XLR.

Carl, out of curiosity, what kind of dB difference are you see between the two?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2007, 07:07:52 AM »
It was hard to tell exactly but one channel was into the "over" while the other was peaking at -12 db so there is quite a difference between the Mic in & Line in.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com