Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: cheap tablets, need gift advice  (Read 3013 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
TSKB: cheap tablets, need gift advice
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
The wife is asking for a tablet for Christmas so I'm hoping someone here has some advice. Nothing specific, she just wants a tablet. She's a writer so something with a decent method of typing would be ideal. I know nothing about this, and I have about $50 to spend...
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: TSKB: cheap tablets, need gift advice
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
I bought an ASUS tablet 10 inch this summer. One of the least expensive Android tablets around that's not some totally scary piece of chinese junk. It was around $150 on sale. I don't think your going to find much in the $50 range that would be big enough to type on. A keyboard stand for a tablet runs $30-40.

LG has a few tablets out right now that may be close to your price range. Might be worth looking at your cellular carrier and see if they can make you a deal.

You may have to dig a little deeper for the little lady....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
Amazon HD Fire (7" model) is $50. You'll need a Bluetooth keyboard for any real typing though. There are some drawbacks like getting some advertising and being somewhat locked into Amazon's app store.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »
^I think that list is pretty current in terms of decent, inexpensive tablets.  The problem with any tablet is that typing is sort of a hunt and peck affair.  For any real typing, a tactile keyboard is still best.  You can connect a real keyboard to some tablets via an OTG cable that costs less than $10, but not every tablet works with OTG.  I think my Sero Hisense 8 tablet will actually work with a keyboard via OTG cable if you want me to test it out. 

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »
Amazon HD Fire (7" model) is $50. You'll need a Bluetooth keyboard for any real typing though. There are some drawbacks like getting some advertising and being somewhat locked into Amazon's app store.

The OS on the Fire tablets is android based. I installed Google Play Store on my new Fire 8 HD in less than 10 minutes. And the ads are gone.

http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/?tag=823814-20
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »

The OS on the Fire tablets is android based. I installed Google Play Store on my new Fire 8 HD in less than 10 minutes. And the ads are gone.

http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/?tag=823814-20

Thanks. I think I might pick up the 10" model. I need a basic tablet with a microSD option so I can watch movies/tv shows on the plane. My current tablet only has 16GB of storage (Nexus 7)...not too great for movies.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
FWIW, I typed this response on a dell keyboard connected to a Hisense Sero 8 tablet connected via OTG cable. I think there is a kingsoft word processing program on the tablet, too.

But Best Buy has or had the Amazon fire tablet for $49 unless they've sold out. 

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

Thanks for the link! I suspected there was a way to bypass the restrictions but hadn't looked for it yet. BTW, the 7" Fire tablets are backordered but they managed to fill my order after all.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com