Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Questions About Playback for 24/96  (Read 5483 times)

Offline smat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Questions About Playback for 24/96
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:40:05 AM »
If I record in 24/96 what do I need to playback the file(s)?
Is it possible to burn that to a cd?
If I use an external device, like a wav player and ran it through my Kenwood Excelon in my car (rca or usb), will it process corectly?

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Questions About Playback for 24/96
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
24/96 requires a DAC that can output it

You have a few choices for playbeack

You could burn the audio to a DVD-A and playback in a DVD-A player

HDD based playback. Soundcard capable of 24/96 output > Stereo. or Squeezbox (only 24/48) > Stereo

Assuming the device you used to record on can also output at 24/96 etc then analog out > RCA in on your car stereo

There are other options but that covers the basics sort of
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
24/96 requires a DAC that can output it

You have a few choices for playbeack

You could burn the audio to a DVD-A and playback in a DVD-A player

HDD based playback. Soundcard capable of 24/96 output > Stereo. or Squeezbox (only 24/48) > Stereo

Assuming the device you used to record on can also output at 24/96 etc then analog out > RCA in on your car stereo

There are other options but that covers the basics sort of
I'm using an R-09HR.  I'm guessing the out would be usb?  The kenwood says it has a 24 bit converter?  Does that mean I can play 24 bit cd's?  And at what sampling rate?  Is 24/96 pretty much useless to me without upgrading to fancy or expensive playback equipment?  Just tryin' to figure this all out since 24/96 uses *significantly* more space/rec time....

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
If I record in 24/96 what do I need to playback the file(s)?
Is it possible to burn that to a cd?
If I use an external device, like a wav player and ran it through my Kenwood Excelon in my car (rca or usb), will it process corectly?

No, CDs are 16/44.1 If you want to listen at higher bit depths and sampling rates you can not use compact discs.

Offline markr041

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
You can burn 24/96  wav files to DVD's. 24/96 is an audio standard for regular DVD's. Any DVD player, including $40 cheapos and portables, can play 24/96 audio. There is a cheap computer program that takes 24/48 or 24/96 wav files and converts them to VOB files that play on any DVD player without touching the audio (no conversion). Very quick on old computers, because there is no conversion. The software program I know of is Audio DVD Creator.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »
You can burn 24/96  wav files to DVD's. 24/96 is an audio standard for regular DVD's. Any DVD player, including $40 cheapos and portables, can play 24/96 audio. There is a cheap computer program that takes 24/48 or 24/96 wav files and converts them to VOB files that play on any DVD player without touching the audio (no conversion). Very quick on old computers, because there is no conversion. The software program I know of is Audio DVD Creator.

This is incorrect

DVD playback supports many bit depths etc. 16/44.1,48 24/44.1,48,96,192

Your DVD player DOES NOT by default support the output of these bit depths. They might be able to read the file but conversion is taking place. You MUST look at the documentation of your player to see what bit depths it will support / output.

I have owned many DVD players that will not output at 24Bit PCM. They will simple truncate or dither for playback. The DVD-A players that support DVD-A playback also must be looked in to to make sure that they are indeed outputting the original info. Some DVD and DVD-A players will nerf the digital output.

The programs that will "Play in any dvd player" are usually limited to 24/48 and once again are dependent on the playback device, Although they are generally more universal (meaning folks without the real playback needed will still hear music" it all really depends.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »
The programs that will "Play in any dvd player" are usually limited to 24/48 and once again are dependent on the playback device, Although they are generally more universal (meaning folks without the real playback needed will still hear music" it all really depends.

the audio dvd creator he speaks of will author 24/96 DVD-V discs:

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

whether your player will output that is a whole different issue as you pointed out

Offline markr041

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
To the guy who said "This is incorrect." You make some good points, but...

The software I suggested handles and does not alter 96/24. You are correct that some DVD players may convert, but the issue is whether they will "play" the files - you get music from the analog port. If you want untouched ouput from the digital port, that is another thing (and may be important for some purposes).

So, good advice to check the DVD player depending on what you want to do. But most DVD players will "play" the file. The key point is you do not have to go to DVD-Audio or downgrade to CD when you have 96/24 files.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »

This is incorrect

DVD playback supports many bit depths etc. 16/44.1,48 24/44.1,48,96,192

For clarification, the DVD-Audio format allows just about any sample rate (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz), but if you want to put LPCM data onto a DVD-Video disc, the DVD-Video spec only allows for 48kHz or 96kHz.

The "audio-dvd-creator" that is discussed in this thread creates DVD-Video discs, that can be played on any DVD player.  There is also free sfotware to create DVD-Audio discs, but you need to make sure that your player will play DVD-Audio discs.  And then there's the whole issue of whether or not your player will also output the full, unaltered digital signal.  Some players will downsample to 48 kHz, and others will limit digital output to 16 bit.  but the issue of what your deck will play and output is completely separate from different specifications of the the DVD-Audio and DVD-Video formats.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
If you need to create Audio DVDs that will play back in any dvd player I highly recommend Lplex. Is is free and works like a charm.. I have heard (and may be incorrect) that Audio DVD Creator places gaps between the songs. Lplex is gapless. Give it a go!

http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
Audio DVD Creator will author gapless discs.

lplex looks cool, especially the ability to take in flacs directly. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
I'll have to give lplex a shot.  I'm using toast right now to make music dvd's, but as far as I can tell you can only bring it down to a 1 second gap.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com