Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Normalize, Hard Limit, or Raise Gain  (Read 2505 times)

Offline delpy88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Normalize, Hard Limit, or Raise Gain
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
I just tapes my first show. I used CA-14's> Sony PCM-M10 Mic in.  I left my preamp on during the week, for got check the battery before I left and found my battery was dead once I got to the show (rookie mistake).  Overall I am pleased with how my recording sounds, but I want to raise the levels.  About midway through the show I adjusted my levels up because I was nervous I was running a little low.  About at the 48 minute mark.  How would I go about adjusting the levels for the entire show up?  I have not done any post work before and am using Audition.  If I Normalize, I believe that will only take the peaks from the louder part of the show and keep the pre-48 minute section quiet.  I am still trying to figure out Hard Limiting and how it works, so I was just going to raise the gain on first part up to 48 mins and then the part after I raised my levels at the show. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6568/39730612.jpg

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: Normalize, Hard Limit, or Raise Gain
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
The ear is the best judge of these things. I would say raise the level of the first 48 minutes so that it sounds like the rest of the program. How you do this is going to depend upon your software. Some can do this non-destructively giving you a way to preview the audio before committing to any change.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
FWIW, many folks around here would say your levels were fine before you bumped them up...especially if recording in 24-Bit.  Get friendly with the volume envelope feature.  Audition allows for non-destructive editing so you can play around with it and always go back and try again if you don't get it right the first few times.

Personally I never normalize my recordings.  I generally will use the amplify gain and hard limit features when I am mastering my shows.  Keep in mind you will introduce compression if you are trying to boost the gain over 0dB while utilizing the hard limit feature.  I use it sparingly. 

When I record I generally like to keep my levels around -10dB with peaks around -6dB.  Sems to work well for me but everyone is different and I'm sure others will chime in.

Just my .02
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Redrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »

When I record I generally like to keep my levels around -10dB with peaks around -6dB.  Sems to work well for me but everyone is different and I'm sure others will chime in.

Just my .02

After a few recordings, that is what I've found too.
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com