Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SOUND PROFESSIONALS SP-CMC-2 - Do they need a High SPL Mod?  (Read 6805 times)

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SOUND PROFESSIONALS SP-CMC-2 - Do they need a High SPL Mod?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
You're right on those statements,however the fact still remains the best way is 3 wire-technically. As far as stealth-ability...I could easily stealth several phantom boxes,adaptors,recorders ect. So while you are right about the size,some versatility and that stuff, those are more issues based on opinions and preferences not issues based on technical facts. So, ultimately..its each to his or her own..but the facts always need to be made available...and then good decisions get made and everyones happy.

nameloc01

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »
But as far as the BB,if you mod them.. For another $40.00 or so dollars a BB(SP) should be used (vs straight plug in) it could save potential problems. -Unless you know for a fact the recorders power will be sufficient.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
i told him to definately get a bb

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
You're right on those statements,however the fact still remains the best way is 3 wire-technically. As far as stealth-ability...I could easily stealth several phantom boxes,adaptors,recorders ect. So while you are right about the size,some versatility and that stuff, those are more issues based on opinions and preferences not issues based on technical facts. So, ultimately..its each to his or her own..but the facts always need to be made available...and then good decisions get made and everyones happy.
Actually its a "technical fact" that my 4.7 k mod with a 9 volt power supply functions as well as a 9 volt 3 wire battery box. Any day of the week and you actually end up with 2 extra db of output then you get with a 3 wire battery box alone.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Just because AT does not sell them wired with a 3.5 mm plug does not make it so. Also the other advantages over three wire. You can plug your mics into any 3.5 mm plug in power jack and get sound. Something you cant do with out adaptors with 3 wire. And lets face it when you want to stealth who wants to carry around a huge pair of phantom adaptors? and a phantom supply or use big bulky 3 pin mini xlr connectors when they dont have to. 3 pin is fine if you like it that's great but I would never call it "better"

Chris

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 06:26:06 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

nameloc01

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »
What's the max SPL handling capability? (Before tweaking)

nameloc01

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Ps. Those brownies killed.  ;p

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
What's the max SPL handling capability? (Before tweaking)
The 853 mics I have measured for example measure about 6% distortion at 114db at 1k when wired 2 wire with out any mods. After the mod the THD is 0.05% at 114db at 1k. Three wire is about the same THD is around 0.08% at 114db at 1k.

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 06:30:40 PM »
Ps. Those brownies killed.  ;p

Dam you!  :P

nameloc01

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
Pss. Not really a huge SP fan. And instead of carrying around a mere ps2 and adaptors...I carry *2* boxes,mics,and 2 decks (and numerous blanks) :P

nameloc01

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »
Curious..ever spec 853s ran through 8532s ?
If not, you should..I'd be very curious

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »
Curious..ever spec 853s ran through 8532s ?
If not, you should..I'd be very curious

No I have not but I suspect that the performance of a regular 3 wire battery box would be slightly better due to the fact that there is no transformer in a regular battery box, Or electronics other then passive components. 

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »
Just got a pair of these for my cousin(getting him started) and i have read conflicting things on the AT831's(SOUND PROFESSIONALS SP-CMC-2 ), do they need the 4.7k high spl mod like the 853's or not with the single mini jack and powered by a battery box?

Hi darktrain, these mics are not "bullet proof" in terms of SPL handeling. I did get what I would call severe distortion when running SP-CMC-2 (AT831) > Sound Pro 9 volt battery box > iRiver H120, in an arena with a large band. No bass roll off (16 kHz) was used, and I was standing about 30 feet from a hanging speaker stack. (I can provide samples on request if you want to judge for yourself.) I used them on two other occasions, and did not get this type of sound, but the volume at these shows was much lower.

---

Also, I finally got around to giving the AT8531s "battery packs" a try, with no phantom source behind them. "Very noisy" (hissy) best describes the results, and I was completely unimpressed. I tore one of them open, and the parts inside were really, really cheap. AT spared no expense on the $2 transformer.  :P Maybe they put better parts in the AT8532, I don't know.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

nameloc01

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Well..one of you guys can tear one apart..mine will retain their virginity. :)
IMO, they sound better (with my U853s) than my ps2-which sounds good in itself- and they can handle A LOT higher volumes...I don't know the exact dbs' but it is quite a bit...and the mics run high with the ps2 alone. I'll call AT and get some details.( I do think I remember what the specs were, but I want to make sure)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com