Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT2 Opinions?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Rode NT2 Opinions?
« on: April 05, 2004, 02:28:38 PM »
Most of the tapes I've heard with these have been on-stage Kimock recordings, which I realize aren't exactly a good representation of what they'll sound like from the section.

Charlie Miller recently sent me a tape of Phil & Friends 6.30.01 from the section (nt2>v2>sbm1), and I really dig the sound. Anybody else have an opinion on these one way or another? Any particular tapes (good or bad) I should check out?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Rode NT2 Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »
im NOT a fan of anything r0de makes.  I always feel like their build quality is cheap and the sound is brittle and dry, but my ears aren't your ears and your money isn't mine.  Listen to a LOT of tapes and make your decisions from there.

Offline ChoobieWoobie

• Taperssection Newbie
  • that's a f*cking sine wave!
    • The Mighty T!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »
Charlie Miller recently sent me a tape of Phil & Friends 6.30.01 from the section (nt2>v2>sbm1), and I really dig the sound. Anybody else have an opinion on these one way or another? Any particular tapes (good or bad) I should check out?

Was this on stage or an audience recording?  If it's audience, i'm giving my nt2 a spin out to the next show i tape.
Oktava MC-012 (pair) > Monster Cables > Denecke PS-2 > M1

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 03:50:31 PM »
brittle and spitty.
the ntk is popular among norwegian rappers.

but then again what do the norwegian hip hopper's know about mics anyway?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:27:40 PM »
all you rode bashers need to run some critical tests...SAME gear, SAME show, SAME spot, head to head

Thanks for volunteering!  Let us know when you're done with the comps - I'm sure there are plenty of people here interested in hearing it.   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 01:29:01 PM »

those mics are well respected by many outside this little hobby..people with far more critical ears than most here..not just norweigan rappers ;)

LOL + T for that.

to be honest Rode used to be a popular brand,but with recent flood of
chinese based mics,which in some cases sound better at lower cost.
still they all have one thing in common the strident high,mainly because of the capsule design.Rode claim to have shifted their production to australia ,so maybe things are getting better.

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 04:31:17 PM »
ive blind tested a whole bunch of the r0de mics in the studio against a number of mics, ive also looked at the build quality (mind you ive seen at least 3 r0de mics fall apart from very minor wear and tear), and ive looked at the price- for what its worth they might as well be made by behringer.

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
harsh, dry, two dimensional, and yes, I think "brittle" is a good description. Too many hq low priced alternatives out there, particularly several ADK mics, to fool with these, imnsho. 8)

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:06:11 PM »
sometimes bandwagon bashing is just that, but often times it reveals a truth about equipment.  there's a reason you see most top end audio guys basing behringer gear.  there's a reason you see oktavas ripped to shreads a lot.  conversely there's a reason you see companies like neumann and schoeps praised a lot.

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »
what are you talking about?  my tickets have been going up and i havent even touched yours.  listen, i respect your opinion, you are listening with your ears, not mine (obviously).  

anyways, my point is this- sometimes there is a bandwagon for a reason.  also, at the pricepoint of the nt2 (450ish used for a pair, 6-800ish for a new pair) i think there are a variety of other mics that are available that:

a. give you more bang for your buck in terms of fq response and overall build quality

b. will retain their value beyond the first few days

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
Looks like I started a monster here...certainly not my intention. +T to everyone who's responded. I'm really wanting some LD mics, and don't have the cash for ADKs (unless I sell the MBHOs, which ain't gonna happen), so the few NT2 tapes I've heard I really liked.

Just looking for a few more opinions, since all but 2 of the Rode tapes on archive.org are stage tapes, and I'll rarely if ever be stage taping.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 12:43:29 PM »
if you are looking for a LD card condensor mic you might take a look over at studioprojects.com

i just reviewed their sd c4 mics and gave them a pretty positive review.  their LD mics have been getting rave reviews

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 04:03:18 PM »
i ran the nt5s for couple nights of the the fall primus tour and there were several other mics there everytime..those sources never popped up....but then i guess the warfield "just sounds good" right?

I have those two recording (nt5 > usb pre 1.5 ?) and they are my favorites from the fall tour...  and I have most of the tour.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 04:30:40 PM »
I'm using my nt5's at kdtu tonight at the chicago hob.  It will be my goal to get another source near me for a direct comparison.  I'll let you know how that goes, and post a link to my show at the archive when I get it transfered.  Do I smell a team Rode?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 06:14:45 PM »
Well, the KDTU show went well, but the mix was terribly boomy and I assume my recording will be as well.  I don't think this is going to be the worlds best test.  I did make contact with one other taper there however.  He and I are in contact and I will get a copy of his source.  He was running skg c-1000s and I'm not sure what pre.  The c1000 recordings that I have heard are all lacking in the low end, so I think that may have helped him.  There was also a guy running scheops, but he came right at the last minute, and blew out of there right away.  I wasn't able to talk to him at all, but I'll keep my eyes open for that one as well.  We were all FOB DFC, so it should be a good comparison in that regard.
I'll let you know when I get things transfered.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »

i love how whenever chetakinsdiet replies to one of my posts one of these little "tickets" goes away..LOL..i love you too buddy ;)

funny little world this one...the mystery of giving and taking tickets is pure comedy...little backstabbers sneaking around behind the scenes..maybe its that "report to moderator" button that does it

if you love your schoeps so much match em up with the rodes...i would certainly HOPE they are better given the price (fuck i own two sets myself right now), but are they 10x better? i think not

all hail the bandwagon

boogie

yep dont get the guy either... he likes to bash products like behringer and other afforable gear. I really wish I could say this nicely but STFU!
listen chet not everyone here can afford the best stuff. and when someone goes out and happens to buy a rode, behringer, oktava (affordable) mic and then they see your negative posts they might not feel so good about thier purchase.

all im saying here before this get outtahand is that I would really appreciate if you have something negative to say about a product or baseball team for that matter let someone else have some positive input first. Please?
the show is over go home please.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 11:11:56 AM »
I'm not familiar with the "positive before negative" rule when someone posts a request for opinions.  Please explain.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 11:35:15 AM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 11:18:22 AM »
not saying that there should be a rule just making a request to a particular person...

EDIT: Sorry if I was implying that there should be a rule and that there my comments wernt more direct to Chet Atkins Diet.

I hope that you can see my point.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 11:25:33 AM by The Donald »
the show is over go home please.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 11:50:38 AM »
I guess I don't understand your history with Chet.  Don't be so sensitive, there are a hundred "your favorite mic sucks" threads on this board, and they aren't aimed at just the inexpensive gear - the hi-end stuff gets its fair share of bashing.  If a mic sounds good, the recordings will do the convincing.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 12:29:53 PM »
Well, the KDTU show went well, but the mix was terribly boomy and I assume my recording will be as well.  I don't think this is going to be the worlds best test.  I did make contact with one other taper there however.  He and I are in contact and I will get a copy of his source.  He was running skg c-1000s and I'm not sure what pre.  The c1000 recordings that I have heard are all lacking in the low end, so I think that may have helped him.  There was also a guy running scheops, but he came right at the last minute, and blew out of there right away.  I wasn't able to talk to him at all, but I'll keep my eyes open for that one as well.  We were all FOB DFC, so it should be a good comparison in that regard.
I'll let you know when I get things transfered.

Matt
FWIW there is no way I'm releasing this show without the processing.  The bass hum that was present to my ears that night was also recorded (acurately I guess) by my mics.  A low cut switch would be a nice addition to these mics for this type of situation.  This was my first time using these mics without my my mixer (which has eq) and my new ua-5 has no compensation.  A little dance in the digital world has done wonders, and when all is said and done I think I will be satisfied  with the results.  For anybody who is interested in hearing the show with processing, it will be posted to the archive as kdtu2004-04-20flac16 .  It should be up by the end of the weekend.  As for the other source, I will be getting that and will post my thoughts on the comparison if anybody is interested.  
Matt

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »
yep dont get the guy either... he likes to bash products like behringer and other afforable gear. I really wish I could say this nicely but STFU!
listen chet not everyone here can afford the best stuff. and when someone goes out and happens to buy a rode, behringer, oktava (affordable) mic and then they see your negative posts they might not feel so good about thier purchase.

all im saying here before this get outtahand is that I would really appreciate if you have something negative to say about a product or baseball team for that matter let someone else have some positive input first. Please?

WTF???  He's not allowed to give his opinion?  That's a load of crap.  If he thinks the mics suck, he can say it.  If you disagree, post why, or post examples.  I didn't see any reason to jump on his case...  And the whole posting positive reviews before negative reviews is ridiculous...

And the only experience I've had with Rode mics is the NT4 (the mic set up in XY).  And I have to say, it's not too great.  A guy I know uses it for a crowd mic when he multitracks the band he works for.  It works fine for that, but for PA recording it's pretty bad.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 06:26:20 PM »
not saying that there should be a rule just making a request to a particular person...

EDIT: Sorry if I was implying that there should be a rule and that there my comments wernt more direct to Chet Atkins Diet.

I hope that you can see my point.

no i don't see your point.  an opinion was requested and an opinion was given.  if you wanna say i bash every inexpensive mic then you arent reading some of my posts.  do you recall the studio projects c4's i just reviewed that cost 300ish for a matched pair with omnis?  how about the fact that the akg 391's are in a lower end price range and are a good mic.  you are gonna spend as much on either of those mics that you would on the r0des and you get a much better piece of equipment that not only performs better but retains its value better.  

in any event, my opinion about the mics has been heard, and no it isnt me that's -t ing you.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »

i love how whenever chetakinsdiet replies to one of my posts one of these little "tickets" goes away..LOL..i love you too buddy ;)

funny little world this one...the mystery of giving and taking tickets is pure comedy...little backstabbers sneaking around behind the scenes..maybe its that "report to moderator" button that does it

if you love your schoeps so much match em up with the rodes...i would certainly HOPE they are better given the price (fuck i own two sets myself right now), but are they 10x better? i think not

all hail the bandwagon

boogie

Don't act like a douche nozzle, man.  An opinion was asked and an opinion was given, if this is really about baseball, keep it to your damn baseball thread.  Otherwise, give your opinion without degrading the opinions of others.

Offline jephro

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Taper-Trader-Pro Brewer
Re: Rode NT2 Opinions?
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 11:01:08 PM »
Been taping with Rode NT4->SonyD8 DAT for at least 2.5 years now.  I describe them as a set of ears, to me they reproduce the show from the Aud just as its mixed in the venue.  Until i have 6 grand to drop on a all digi setup i have no complaints.  Small bars or big festivels they work great IMO.  Just got my JB3 and will be taping Billy Mckay Band Fri. at a tiny pub across the street from the Brewery i brew for.  Give me a shout and i will let you judge for yourself.  Also have several Shady Deal shows in circ. on archive.org if you want to listen.  The NYE show was a little rough due to a long narrow room with low ceiling and a boatload of people, i had to tape @ the back of the room.  But Riverport, Telluride & The Sheridan, The Ryman, The Pageant, The Fox St. Louis and Fillmore in Denver, and lots of little bars i have never had anyone say the quality was not good.

peas
  - but thats kool if you like Karrots too
jephro

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 12:33:51 PM »
I think I still have an SCI NYE show from a few years back: NT2 > DAT, I believe. Sounds pretty nice. I'll dig it out if anyone is interested in hearing it, archiving it, BT'ing it or b&p'ing it.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 12:36:25 PM »
Wow, this thread isn't old at all. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 02:47:01 PM »
if you are looking for a LD card condensor mic you might take a look over at studioprojects.com

i just reviewed their sd c4 mics and gave them a pretty positive review.  their LD mics have been getting rave reviews

I agree with this.  I have a Rode NT-4 stereo mic.  It is ok at best.  On the other hand, I love my Studio Priojects mics.  They are the best mic for the price.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2005, 04:44:03 PM »
I got a sampler of the nt4 from a TAB show that I taped using another rig (albeit U89s), and wasn't all that impressed. I had been planning on buying one, but after hearing a few samples, opted out.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.385 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com