Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: automating copy/validation of wav files  (Read 1330 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
automating copy/validation of wav files
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:05:18 AM »
i'm trying to cobble together a method for automating the transfer and validation of data off my recorder to PC, and i'm finding i'm totally rusty at scripting...

i'm trying two different approaches:

1.  chew through subdirectories, write md5s for wav content, then copy all folders to another volume, then confirm the md5s.
PROBLEM:  is there any way to get md5sum to parse subdirectories?

2.  read folder name.  prepend folder name to all files contained within that container, eg 060531093710.pjt_1.wav, 060531093710.pjt_2.wav.  THEN move all renamed wavs to a new folder called /checksum, where md5sum runs against all of the wav files.  then it copies, then it confirms...

any help or ideas appreciated!

i'm trying two different approaches:

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: automating copy/validation of wav files
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:47:24 PM »
One word:  rsync

It does it all and will even do the copies over the network using ssh or whatever.. Though windows implementations often use the slow cygwin networking library.

It only copies what needs to be copied (including partial files) so you can interrupt it midcopy and restart, etc.

For a local copy I do 'rsync -av src dest'

For remote, 'rsync -ave ssh src destmachine:destdir'

Once copied, add the -c option to force it to re-checksum everything.  It is very solid under linux but you may want to verify under windows by slightly corrupting a file, etc.

It also does a Whole lot more than this.  I'm not sure what platform you are on but here is one windows implementation. There may be better versions available.

http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com